The Official *Technics SL-1200* Owners Club

That's a surprise. Can you point to the manufacturer's site? Is there such thing for the MK2? Looks much better than the other versions around with visible screws.
It is better than the visible screw model but a lot and I mean a lot more money. Google Ammonite Audio.

The stock arms on my old SL1200mkIIs behave and perform very nicely.

They are pretty versatile too.

However, they are probably better suited to cartridges of medium compliance. Anything with a suggested VTF of around 2-3 grams, is a good bet.

Of course that is not to say that you are limited in your choices. It's just what I've gathered from my own experience.

So if the original arm is in good working order, i would suggest you keep it.

Maybe invest that extra money on something else down the chain?

Last edited:
I wonder too what differences would be there.... I have never seen any real comparison review between old one lets say MK2 or MK5 and the new GR model.
From my own experience, SL-1200GR sounds much better than SL-1200Mk2 I had some years ago. The sound seems to be more "open" and alive, it's definitely an improvement. Also, the new isolation works much better than the one in SL-1200Mk2, there's no feedback going into the plinth and the stylus whatsoever.

From my own experience, SL-1200GR sounds much better than SL-1200Mk2 I had some years ago. The sound seems to be more "open" and alive, it's definitely an improvement. Also, the new isolation works much better than the one in SL-1200Mk2, there's no feedback going into the plinth and the stylus whatsoever.
Right now I'm listening to Handel's Messiah, a 30 year old RCA Red Label Boxed set via my SL1210GR fitted with a Shure V15V/Jico SAS. It sounds fabulous. The TT gets the job done, for sure, and it's tracking at 1.25 grams.

I know this is a long shot, but I'll ask anyway.

A bunch of years ago I sanded down the chassis of my 1200 and had it painted. So the original markings are all gone. I'm guessing they were silkscreened on at the factory.

Is there anyway to get this put back on? Are there stickers available for this?

I know this is a long shot, but I'll ask anyway.

A bunch of years ago I sanded down the chassis of my 1200 and had it painted. So the original markings are all gone. I'm guessing they were silkscreened on at the factory.

Is there anyway to get this put back on? Are there stickers available for this?
Check ebay I have seen decals for sale there.

It possibly does, but as humans tests prove we cant tell the difference from different sounds 30 seconds apart even when differences are big. We have terrible recall with sound (brain crap at it) so dont doubt your GR sounds great but comparing something you had years ago is impossible.
Chris

They wouldn't be able to.

I know this is all just parlor talk...
And while possibly true, but one can not say that for sure.
There are enough improvements in the GR to the arm/bearings/motor/platter/chassis (?) that some difference should be heard...probably not dramatic, but possibly significant?
I would suspect a tighter instrument presentation with less smearing
But even if someone does this, it would still be subjective.

There are enough improvements in the GR to the arm/bearings/motor/platter/chassis (?) that some difference should be heard...probably not dramatic, but possibly significant?
I’d love to go pinkslips just not geographically possible.

Last year I replaced a Marantz TT-15 with a Pioneer PLX-1000. The Marantz would generally be considered a "better" machine but I love the PLX-1000 for various reasons and have zero sense that it sounds lesser-than the previous machine. One big thing I've learned is that I don't care one way or the other, and have so little memory of the subjective sound of the Marantz that it would be impossible for me to assert that it indeed sounded better somehow.

In fact, I have zero doubt that if I moved my U-Turn Orbit into my "main" system and listened to it for a few months I would arrive at the very same place, which is pleasure at the sound it produces and no wish for better.

Hobbyist fetishists too often forget the psycho in psychoacoustics.

Last year I replaced a Marantz TT-15 with a Pioneer PLX-1000. The Marantz would generally be considered a "better" machine but I love the PLX-1000 for various reasons and have zero sense that it sounds lesser-than the previous machine. One big thing I've learned is that I don't care one way or the other, and have so little memory of the subjective sound of the Marantz that it would be impossible for me to assert that it indeed sounded better somehow.

In fact, I have zero doubt that if I moved my U-Turn Orbit into my "main" system and listened to it for a few months I would arrive at the very same place, which is pleasure at the sound it produces and no wish for better.

Hobbyist fetishists too often forget the psycho in psychoacoustics.
I have had a similar experience- when a table is setup properly and doesn’t have any flaws (imperfect pitch, background noise) it is extremely difficult to discern differences even flipping real-time with a remote control using the same copy of a record ( I’ve done that). Just enjoy your deck is all you can do vs touting its superiority.

I’d love to go pinkslips just not geographically possible.

Ha! I wouldn't do it anyway, nothing conclusive can be learned....and it's of no consequence to me either way..
I'm just not as sure about it as you are. Seems you have already decided the outcome.

The real blind test I would like to see is using a lightly modded Technics as most who own the old model have already modded the old version. Mine has a mod so the turntable can take any rca leads (no audible difference but handy) also a Kab oil arm damper which makes a big sonic difference with my better carts and kab psu and strobe disable and of course better feet and sorbothane isolation footers. I wonder if I or indeed anyone blid could tell the difference between this modded Technics and the new one? My guess is not as as I have said before our brains are totally rubbish at picking large sonic differences so with same cart etc doubt difference if any would be audible.
Chris

The real blind test I would like to see is using a lightly modded Technics as most who own the old model have already modded the old version. Mine has a mod so the turntable can take any rca leads (no audible difference but handy) also a Kab oil arm damper which makes a big sonic difference with my better carts and kab psu and strobe disable and of course better feet and sorbothane isolation footers. I wonder if I or indeed anyone blid could tell the difference between this modded Technics and the new one? My guess is not as as I have said before our brains are totally rubbish at picking large sonic differences so with same cart etc doubt difference if any would be audible.
Chris

Perhaps you are right, who knows? I surely don't.
My concern (and that's too strong of a word) is that some seem to be selling the GR short?

Shortly after the GAE came out I posted needle drops of it and a 1200 MK4. Didn't say what they were. Only a ~half-dozen people listened. Most thought there was a difference, with preferences all over the place.

Back
Top Bottom