The Official -Technics SL-1600/1700/1800- Owners Thread

No, it's regular one-piece with two slots. It has no "Technics" printed on it, but it's very lightweight and made in Japan.

On some headshell, the screw slots are just not long enough for the Baerwald protractor requirements.

Not sure if that's your problem. :idea:

Best of luck with your resolution. :)

On some headshell, the screw slots are just not long enough for the Baerwald protractor requirements.

Not sure if that's your problem. :idea:

Best of luck with your resolution. :)
The problem is, if I align cartridge to get exactly 52 mm from stylus tip to mounting ring it won't align to Technics null points. I have a protractor with Technics proprietary null points, cannot remember where did I download it, but anyway if I set stylus tip to both null points the headshell looks like pointing inwards relative to grids, indicating too little overhang.
It's actually not really a problem since I would be able to achieve custom, yet reasonable null points by simply moving cartridge to increase overhang. I'm just curious why my tonearm has this difference.

The problem is, if I align cartridge to get exactly 52 mm from stylus tip to mounting ring it won't align to Technics null points. I have a protractor with Technics proprietary null points, cannot remember where did I download it, but anyway if I set stylus tip to both null points the headshell looks like pointing inwards relative to grids, indicating too little overhang.
It's actually not really a problem since I would be able to achieve custom, yet reasonable null points by simply moving cartridge to increase overhang. I'm just curious why my tonearm has this difference.

Try to use one particular cartridge alignment and not all of them at the same time. :)

Each alignment is different from the others.

I bought a technics cartridge alignment tool. It is extremely simple to use and takes any need to measure out of the equation. They are not expensive.

technics_overhanggauge.jpg

Try to use one particular cartridge alignment and not all of them at the same time. :)

Each alignment is different from the others.
It's not I'm trying to use them at the same time, it's about what I'm noticing when experimenting with different alignment methods.
I bought a technics cartridge alignment tool. It is extremely simple to use and takes any need to measure out of the equation. They are not expensive.

As I said, that 52 mm puts the stylus overhang too short for some unknown reason. I doubt there would be any noticeable audible difference but it's quite interesting.

It's not I'm trying to use them at the same time, it's about what I'm noticing when experimenting with different alignment methods.

As I said, that 52 mm puts the stylus overhang too short for some unknown reason.

I doubt there would be any noticeable audible difference but it's quite interesting.

Not sure what the problem is. :dunno:

If there is no audible differences, choose what ever method that you find most acceptable. :)

As bailfly said, The null points and the 52mm gauge are not going to match. They are different alignments but both are correct.

A combination square placed on the bottom edge of the overhang tool, adjusted so the ruler is lower than the stylus tip, is very effective in lining up the stylus tip and the edge of the overhang tool.

thumbnail%2Cw_500%2Ch_500%2Cm_a.jpg

As bailfly said, The null points and the 52mm gauge are not going to match. They are different alignments but both are correct.
52 mm should end up with Technics null points 58.8 and 113.5. Instead in my case these fall somewhere on the label and near the edge respectively, indicating still too short overhang for given offset angle. Or the latter is somehow greater than specified by Technics.

52 mm should end up with Technics null points 58.8 and 113.5. Instead in my case these fall somewhere on the label and near the edge respectively, indicating still too short overhang for given offset angle. Or the latter is somehow greater than specified by Technics.

What happens when you align to the null points? Is it a little greater than 52mm? I bet you need to angle the cart in towards the spindle a bit as well in order to hit both points..

What happens when you align to the null points? Is it a little greater than 52mm? I bet you need to angle the cart in towards the spindle a bit as well in order to hit both points..
Yes, that is the case. It would be rather 53 mm. I wonder if it's an issue with my tonearm or is it just an unavoidable variation in manufacturing process, idk.

Yes, that is the case. It would be rather 53 mm. I wonder if it's an issue with my tonearm or is it just an unavoidable variation in manufacturing process, idk.

Why Do You think that the 52mm alignment is supposed to line up with a protractor alignment?

Why Do You think that the 52mm alignment is supposed to line up with a protractor alignment?
If Technics has published specific null points and instructs to set stylus tip 52 mm from mounting then we could safely assume it would end up being aligned to these null points.

If Technics has published specific null points and instructs to set stylus tip 52 mm from mounting then we could safely assume it would end up being aligned to these null points.

I must have missed this. You are saying that you have a protractor that states it is the technics specific null points for 52mm alignment? Where did you find this?

You could also check with a Stevenson protractor since the points on that are very close to what the technics 52mm alignment is..

I must have missed this. You are saying that you have a protractor that states it is the technics specific null points for 52mm alignment? Where did you find this?

You could also check with a Stevenson protractor since the points on that are very close to what the technics 52mm alignment is..
Can't remember where I downloaded it from, somebody shared a link in VinylEngine forum once. It has null points specified 58.8 and 113.5 mm, offset 22 degrees and effective length 230 mm.

Can't remember where I downloaded it from, somebody shared a link in VinylEngine forum once.

It has null points specified 58.8 and 113.5 mm, offset 22 degrees and effective length 230 mm.

Could you share the link or download to the Technics protractor in question ? :idea:

Other members that knows the "Technics protractor" can check it for accuracy.

Last edited:
I assume that you did, but have to put the question out there.. Your printed version is printed to exact scale, correct? I am also still unsure as to whether that protractor is a separate alignment option, or if it is indeed the points where the 52mm alignment are supposed to be..

Yes, it was on scale. 150mm line was exactly 150 mm. Turntable manual also specifies 215 mm pivot to spindle and 230 mm effective length and instructs to set the stylus to 52 mm.

Yes, it was on scale. 150mm line was exactly 150 mm. Turntable manual also specifies 215 mm pivot to spindle and 230 mm effective length and instructs to set the stylus to 52 mm.

Have you measured the pivot to spindle distance and the length of your tonearm?

Back
Top Bottom