The Official U-Turn Orbit Owners Thread

Thanks you very much! I've just started looking into isolation mats and appreciate any first hand experiences. DI'd it improve your U-Turn's performance?
The Auralex platform isolates the Orbit very well. It runs completely quiet without interference. I can tap on the shelf beside the table and it will not playback at all.

New Orbit owner here, just got the Red, with Acrylic platter, Cue arm, and Grado Black, looks really nice, so far working perfect, tracks much better than other units we have had.

No hum either of any kind. Could not be happier for the price.

Orbit-Me.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone know the effective length of the current Orbit tone arm? How about the pivot to spindle distance?

Thanks!

Alan

New Orbit Plus owner here. I have had mine now for a few weeks. Although it sounds good and appears to be a fairly solid unit, I too am very disappointed with the hinges on the cover. Every time I change an album it is a balancing act. I am always worried the cover is going to come crashing down. I get the whole saving money where they can to keep the price down, but I can't imagine the cost difference would be that much to make a slightly better hinge setup. In fact why not offer an upgrade? I would gladly pay an extra $20 for better hinges.

Yeah I can see that. I am wondering something about the Orbit. Does it come with any type of rubber pads for the cover? I just thought to myself that I never checked the box thoroughly to see if there is something in there for the cover. I thought it was odd that the cover comes down and sits directly on the plinth, which I can definitely see how the two hard surfaces touching could cause feedback if there is any vibration. I just thought it was a shortcut they took to save money. In looking at other TT's I notice the little rubber pads on the covers. Made me think to ask/look.

Yeah I can see that. I am wondering something about the Orbit. Does it come with any type of rubber pads for the cover? I just thought to myself that I never checked the box thoroughly to see if there is something in there for the cover. I thought it was odd that the cover comes down and sits directly on the plinth, which I can definitely see how the two hard surfaces touching could cause feedback if there is any vibration. I just thought it was a shortcut they took to save money. In looking at other TT's I notice the little rubber pads on the covers. Made me think to ask/look.
I'm using the Ortofon OM 5E and haven't had any noise issues with the cover. They don't come with any rubber pads for the cover. It would be nice along with better hinges though.

Attachments

• 20171116_131831.jpg
    20171116_131831.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 32
Have had the Orbit Special with walnut plinth, acrylic platter and Ortofon 2M Red cartridge for a couple of weeks and unfortunately have to return it today. There is a hum coming from speakers only when motor is on and tonearm is on vinyl. With motor off, it’s dead quiet, regardless of tonearm being up or on vinyl. It’s connected direct to the phono input on my Yamaha amp. (My previous turntable, Technics SL-BD20D, is totally silent in the same set up.)

Ben has been great helping troubleshoot, and even sent me a new motor to no avail. The hum is still there. Anybody else have this problem? It’s got to be motor-plinth-tonearm related, right? Ben had offered to build and send me a new table altogether but I’m not sure if I’m just going to have the same problem. This stinks. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Have had the Orbit Special with walnut plinth, acrylic platter and Ortofon 2M Red cartridge for a couple of weeks and unfortunately have to return it today. There is a hum coming from speakers only when motor is on and tonearm is on vinyl. With motor off, it’s dead quiet, regardless of tonearm being up or on vinyl. It’s connected direct to the phono input on my Yamaha amp. (My previous turntable, Technics SL-BD20D, is totally silent in the same set up.)

Ben has been great helping troubleshoot, and even sent me a new motor to no avail. The hum is still there. Anybody else have this problem? It’s got to be motor-plinth-tonearm related, right? Ben had offered to build and send me a new table altogether but I’m not sure if I’m just going to have the same problem. This stinks. Any thoughts?

Did you have the table plugged directly into the wall? This has been recommended by U-Turn for over all best (hum free) performance.

No issues with my Obit Plus...

Did you have the table plugged directly into the wall? This has been recommended by U-Turn for over all best (hum free) performance.

No issues with my Obit Plus...

Yep. Tried all the troubleshooting tactics - plugged direct to wall, shielded interconnects, grounded reciever, jockeyed placement, new belt, and finally new motor. Still hums, but only with motor on and needle engaged. I’m at a loss.

Yep. Tried all the troubleshooting tactics - plugged direct to wall, shielded interconnects, grounded reciever, jockeyed placement, new belt, and finally new motor. Still hums, but only with motor on and needle engaged. I’m at a loss.

Closing the loop on this. Recieved my replacement Orbit Special from U-Turn today, and voila, no hum. Sounds great. So while, I was disappointed that my original deck was defective, U-Turn’s customer service was outstanding and they fixed the problem. Bravo to them.

Last edited:
1516678550711-2051467302.jpg Just got mine up and running today. Purchased used from eBay and had to wait for a belt. So far it sounds great! U-turns CS is outstanding as well!

Last edited:

The Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC I returned, did not have any pads. I am waiting for my Orbit presently.
Maybe clear RTV at strategic parts on the edge of the cover may work. Or very small clear tubing that you can split to fit on the edge.

Hi,
I own an Uturnaudio for 4 years already.
this is a very nice turntable and sound great with the uni-pivot and grado cartridge.
MY only complaint is the motor. The motor is always pulled by the belt in one direction and cause too much stress to the bushing, making a klick noise after several hours of use. If you install and auxiliary belt that push the motor back, the load in the pulley will be zero and the motor life span will increase a lot.
beside that i love my TT.

Back
Top Bottom