The old masters, where'd they go?

They fade into the depths of time. Just like everything else.
Some people just get to experience stuff no one else will.

Good article though. I think I'll be looking at some Delia Derbyshire stuff. Never heard of her before.

Some of the stuff he talks about, the Floyd stuff for example, what if the artist never wanted them released? Should we really have access to something the original artist thought wasn't good enough to be made public?

they are locked in vaults deep withing cheyenne, that way in case of nuke war, zombies or captain tripps, the hollywood elite and politicians can listen to them in peace

they are locked in vaults deep withing cheyenne, that way in case of nuke war, zombies or captain tripps, the hollywood elite and politicians can listen to them in peace
Possibly in one of those secret areas around Pittsburgh like Kennywood....every resident has been there, but no one can tell you how to get there....Maybe on the blue belt.

They fade into the depths of time. Just like everything else.
Some people just get to experience stuff no one else will.

Good article though. I think I'll be looking at some Delia Derbyshire stuff. Never heard of her before.

Some of the stuff he talks about, the Floyd stuff for example, what if the artist never wanted them released? Should we really have access to something the original artist thought wasn't good enough to be made public?
Then, there's George Bizet's symphony in 'C'.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_in_C_(Bizet)

Possibly in one of those secret areas around Pittsburgh like Kennywood....every resident has been there, but no one can tell you how to get there....Maybe on the blue belt.
thats so odd you mention that...everyone follows those damn little yellow arrows which route you thru the DMZ (edgewood, swissvale, homestead etc). for me, 10 minutes in normal traffic and the new speedway gas station next door is the cheapest in the area! (and I live in westmoreland county!)

thats so odd you mention that...everyone follows those damn little yellow arrows which route you thru the DMZ (edgewood, swissvale, homestead etc). for me, 10 minutes in normal traffic and the new speedway gas station next door is the cheapest in the area! (and I live in westmoreland county!)
I lived there for 37 years and don't recall anyone who understood the belt system. It's a cruel joke for a tourist. Commit the attached to memory and let me know how it works out.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegheny_County_belt_system

The master tape is kept in a vault, the pressing dies are probably destroyed (more then likely damaged from pressing mass numbers of copies).

Thanks Steve it was a good read and I'm happy some care enough to be active in this.

IMHO, when it comes to history, nobody has the right to interfere with it. Lets say a band or artist put work out they liked, they wanted to make money on and became famous. Well at that point they made a choice to be apart of many peoples lives and apart of history. What they did was interject themselves into the culture and history. Their act in doing so will out live them if they where any good.

If by doing this they made a good living, supported their family and the family is still getting benefits from their work, they where rewarded enough.

At some point anything they did is history and evolution of time. The things that a living artist did is in site to how their evolution and progression of work happened. This is important to understanding what we already know by showing how they got to a end result.

I really like some of these living artist and or their families putting out albums with out takes, and studio recordings of the progression of a song that just wasn't selected for an album at that time. This choice for an album had many people involved and not just the artist.

At some point all the recording done in a studio or live board tapes, what have you, have to become eminent domain and go down into the annals of history.

Then the fact the whole world doesn't have the same laws to stop this from happening. Again history is history, people can't arbitrarily stop what is known to the world.

It sounds like most of the lost music was due to practicality. The good news is not as many people are throwing out old vinyl from the basement when they don't even know what it is.
With the vintage resurgence and all.

I daresay master tapes no longer exist for the vast majority of post WWII recordings.
Fire, neglect, natural disaster....some studios routinely reused tape.
In at least one case, the entire master tape library of a notable studio was sold for reuse during bankruptcy proceedings.

This is one of the reasons I collect records.
And why I laugh to myself when I see folks touting the "completeness" of certain streaming services.
Apparently some do not understand how much their ability to hear obscure tracks online initially relied on some private collector with a clean copy of the record.
Nor do they apparently recognize how very very deep the rabbit hole goes.

Back
Top Bottom