The old seems to be the best

Skid Mark69

The old Sansui 551started acting up again so I fired up a Harmon Kardon AV av144 using a Project phono stage. It worked ok but sound was way to bright for me. Got the Sansui working again and tried it with the project phono stage and it was way better than the HK. I then hooked up the phono direct to the phono input wo the phono stage and the sound seemed fuller. I am trying to decide if it’s me or if the phono stage is not up to the job. It is the $100 one from Project. It had some pretty good ratings.

Glad you got your sui working again. I'm not an LP guy so I can't help with the Project Box. I do have a question, though... What do "you" mean by "too bright"? Thanks.

Glad you got your sui working again. I'm not an LP guy so I can't help with the Project Box. I do have a question, though... What do "you" mean by "too bright"? Thanks.
To me bright is the treble being too sharp sounding. It’s hard on the ears. It’s a subjective quality and probably very much a function of what you are used to listening too. I picked up the term reading reviews. I am not an audiophile (Not enough funds to get top of the line and a large variety of equipment) and the term seemed to fit what I was hearing.

You don’t need a bunch of money or a bunch of equipment to be an audiophile. You just need to enjoy music and know what changes can be made to make it better. It’s all about the music

The cartridge/stylus may just have better synergy with the Sui phono stage, no big thing. Your ears your music, use what sounds best to "you".

Back
Top Bottom