The Onkyo TX-8xx Series

myu701

Vintage futurist
The Onkyo TX-8xx Receiver Series

In the late 1980's through the early 1990's, Onkyo made a 2 channel stereo receiver line numbered as the TX-8xx series. It started with the model 800 and incremented all the way up to 890, the last two designated as the higher end "Integra" line. It doesn't look like many people here are familiar with them, judging by the lack of postings. But they were really very well made and competitive with other gear produced at that time. Unfortunately, they demonstrated some signs of cost cutting, as Onkyo outsourced softer metals for the top cover and chassis than on previous models. And they're a little lighter compared to some other brand receivers produced at that time. But internally, the quality is quite good. Capacitors seem to hold up well and I've personally obtained an example that had been through some rough handling during shipment and it continued to work without a hitch.

Two years ago, I became acquainted with these receivers quite by chance, as I got a TX-860 receiver thrown in with a set of JBL L80T speakers that I bought. At the time, my Yamaha HT receiver had crapped out, so I put the Onkyo to use as a temporary measure. At least, that's what I intended. But... I began to appreciate how good it performs. Later, I started exploring the line to see what models were made and the going market prices. Some seriously cheap bargains could be had on "that auction site", as well as CL.

The thing I find peculiar is that Onkyo released 13 different models (that I know of--if you see one not listed, let me know), with only marginally different power outputs between them, combined with slightly different specifications and feature sets. In actuality, I think they could have easily gotten by with 6 models. Here's what I've found so far:

Onkyo_TX-8xx-chart.gif

Onkyo_TX-800_series.jpg

They all seem quite competent and I've heard praise about a number of models ranging from the TX-820 to the TX-890. From what I understand, they all drive two sets of speakers (A and B). Feature wise, I find that the TX-850 is where it all starts to get rather interesting. Onkyo incorporated some curious sound shaping controls from that model onward, such as a "Dynamic Bass Expander" which is more than just a bass boost. It actually makes the stronger bass passages stronger, while leaving the lesser ones alone. Phase Linear had a very similar design on their 5000 preamp, and from what I've heard it works well. "Selective Tone Control" is a sort of adjustable loudness compensation, but I don't really use it much. The "Stereo Image Expander" is another gimmick, but it adds some interesting color when channeling a movie soundtrack.

The TX-870/890 models were labeled "Integra" and the 890 came with simulated dark wood veneer sides (thin vinyl coating, which isn't very durable). The models TX-866 to 890 all had pre-outs/main-in for either serving as a preamp or as an amplifier for an external preamp.

Onkyo eventually replaced this line with the TX-9xx series, which dropped a number of features and reoriented towards surround sound processing. They're still pretty well made, but the technology for surround sound is quite primitive compared to what came out later in the pre-HDMI models. The TX-906 is 80wpc and compares quite closely to the TX-860. I've heard from a couple of owners that it sounds quite nice in stereo mode and decent in surround sound mode.

Onkyo probably made tons of these receivers, as the used market has multiple examples of at least several models almost every week on "that auction site." Going prices appear to be wildly inconsistent, especially for models below the TX-870. I've seen a TX-830 sell for over $60 while a TX-866 went for less than $20 (in comparable condition). Naturally, the 870/890 models go for much more and are not as commonly found. But quite frankly, they seem to be overkill in weight for the performance specifications and feature sets. An 80wpc TX-860 won't sound much different than a 125wpc TX-890, in most living room arrangements.

Anyway, if anybody here is interested in obtaining an affordable receiver and getting a lot of bang for the buck, definitely give the TX-8xx series some consideration. Also, the user manuals and service manuals tend to be readily available through quite a few websites, some of them free. :thmbsp:

TUNER MODS
The European version of the TX-8xx series had a more selective tuner. In models starting from the TX-850 and above, the main PCB was the same for both US/Euro versions. So, the additional circuitry for the tuner that was left out for the US model results in a section of the board which is devoid of the components (some resistors, transistor, filter cap). The holes are there, but are jumpered. You can install the components, which will turn the mediocre tuner into an excellent one. Also, replace the filter caps with 180kHz low loss ones. As to why Onkyo didn't just install them and avoid a production change, well, it was probably a cost cutting measure.

Last edited:
Nice amps :thmbsp:

I have the
TX-904 - 60wpc, 0.08% THD, ? lbs.

Also have an Onkyo TX SV828THX rated at 100wpc.
Both units have Source Direct switch that bypasses tone controls . . . a feature I really like :thmbsp:

Roger

^ Hey, Roger. Yep I'd agree, the TX-904 is a very respectable receiver. I'm not familiar with the THX certified models that came after, but I wouldn't doubt that they're well made. It seems to me like Onkyo is one of the most underrated good value brands.

My TX-860 has a "CD Direct" feature that bypasses tonal control circuitry, much like the "Source Direct" switch on yours. I did an experiment where I neutralized all of the tonal adjustment controls/features and left the tonal circuit in place... and I couldn't tell any difference (don't know if it's just good equipment or my ears aren't sensitive enough anymore). But it's nice to be able to bypass the tone control circuitry from the remote, when there's a song or album you feel could benefit from being heard "raw".

Nice set of equipment in your sig. :thmbsp:

Man... It's a bit of a scavenger hunt with this. So, I wrote up this list and had discovered 11 different models in the TX-8xx line. But now, I've found two more! The TX-811 and the TX-822. I decided to experiment with a bunch of number combinations to see if I can locate more, and that seems to be about it. :music: However, I wouldn't be surprised if there's another model in the lineup I've missed. ;)

Last edited:
I've found Onkyo to be "go to" brand since there is much less demand for these examples of 80's BPC, which is in this case, means best priced components. I own an Onkyo TX-85 (80 wpc but weigh 33 lbs with the wood sides) from the early 80's. It has a wonderful digital tuner and powers a pair of Genesis 20's or Avid 103's with ease. Total cost for this 1982? top of the line receiver was $80. Mine doesn't have the adjustable loudness compensation, but does have the Dynamic Bass Expander which just recently started to play with and does work surprisingly well. The only thing I miss is not having a remote feature. I also have an SVX-727 a Dolby Surround which is a beast, a TX-S303, and a TX-8522 which aren't in use currently.

I've found Onkyo to be "go to" brand since there is much less demand for these examples of 80's BPC, which is in this case, means best priced components. I own an Onkyo TX-85 (80 wpc but weigh 33 lbs with the wood sides) from the early 80's. It has a wonderful digital tuner and powers a pair of Genesis 20's or Avid 103's with ease. Total cost for this 1982? top of the line receiver was $80. Mine doesn't have the adjustable loudness compensation, but does have the Dynamic Bass Expander which just recently started to play with and does work surprisingly well. The only thing I miss is not having a remote feature. I also have an SVX-727 a Dolby Surround which is a beast, a TX-S303, and a TX-8522 which aren't in use currently.

Aah! Wood sides would certainly be nice :yes:
I prefer to stick with two channel so I haven't experimented with tone control features. The SV828THX has pre outs so I use NAD preamp with the Onkyo serving as amplifier only.

BTW, the remote for SV828 also works for TX-904 :thmbsp:

Regards,
Roger

^ It's a bit of a shame with what Onkyo did on the Integra line with the wood side trim. You'll find those same thin vinyl veneered particle board sides on the Integra M series amps and P series preamps too. Many examples seen on "that auction site" will have nasty rips/gouges/markings or parts of the veneer falling off. From a distance, the dark mahogany like appearance is nice, but up close the cheapness becomes apparent. I once saw somebody take a P-304 preamp and replace them with good quality solid wood pieces stained to a medium darkness. You could conceivably do that to any of these components, including the non-Integra models. Unfortunately the faceplate does not fit completely flush on the cabinet sides, so an indent must be cut that makes them slightly asymmetrical in shape (thus left and right sides can't be interchanged).

About the remotes, Onkyo has been very consistent with the codes used across model years. So, all of the common functions will work with any Onkyo receiver. I have an Integra DTR HT receiver with a big hefty remote and it'll control many of the functions on the older TX series receivers.

Here are some remote compatibility observations I've learned:
Onkyo RC-151s For TX-860 and earlier
Onkyo RC-329s For TX-8511 (works P-3200, TX-830 thru TX-890)
Onkyo RC-330s For TX-8211, TX-8011
Onkyo RC-296s For TX-8210 (works P-3200, TX-830 thru TX-890)
Onkyo RC-307m For TX-SV828THX (works for TX-904 and others)

I'm told the RC-329s is the best remote of the bunch, as it handles a lot of Onkyo component accessories well. But when looking at the used prices found on the market, you're probably best going for a universal remote. URC makes a couple of entry level models that are highly regarded, like the WR7.

Last edited:
I picked up a TX 844 about a year ago for cheap. Nice receiver. Plenty of usable features and it handles two pairs of speakers together without breaking a sweat. The only spec I'd question is the 60wpc rating. If I were to hazard a guess I'd say it's putting out 25 "real watts" per side. Oh yeah, the sliding loudness control is a good idea.

. . . .
Here are some remote compatibility observations I've learned:
Onkyo RC-151s For TX-860 and earlier
Onkyo RC-329s For TX-8511 (works P-3200, TX-830 thru TX-890)
Onkyo RC-330s For TX-8211, TX-8011
Onkyo RC-296s For TX-8210 (works P-3200, TX-830 thru TX-890)

I'm told the RC-329s is the best remote of the bunch, as it handles a lot of Onkyo component accessories well. But when looking at the used prices found on the market, you're probably best going for a universal remote. URC makes a couple of entry level models that are highly regarded, like the WR7.

You can add this to the list. It's the original remote for SV828 that also works for the TX-904 and undoubtedly others. It is a large remote loaded with buttons :D

Onkyo RC-307m

Roger

Sven, the 60wpc rating was what I found in the owner's manual. Who knows--could have been a typo. Or perhaps your receiver was suffering a problem?

Thanks for the additional remote, Redikilowatt. Added. :thmbsp:

Sven, the 60wpc rating was what I found in the owner's manual. Who knows--could have been a typo. Or perhaps your receiver was suffering a problem?

Thanks for the additional remote, Redikilowatt. Added. :thmbsp:

myu701, The receiver I was using prior to acquiring the Onkyo is a Technics SA 5470, rated at 65wpc. The Technics at say 9:00 was as loud or louder than the Onkyo at 12:30 using the same speakers and music source. The Onkyo seems to be running fine, no problems to speak of. So Onkyo may have been slightly generous with their power ratings. Apart from that I'm pleased with the performance and features of the 844. It's a lot of receiver for the money. If it had pre outs I'd be good to go. :yes:

^ I've got a Sansui AU-719 (90wpc) and it does seem to put out slightly more decibels than my Onkyo TX-860 (80wpc) by about 10-20% using the volume control as a scale. I wouldn't be surprised if Onkyo overstated power by a little. Still, the Onkyo does just fine. I'm not surprised that you're happy with yours. Good small scale receiver. The preamp section is pretty darned good. I haven't tried using my TX-866 as a dedicated preamp yet, but I'm intending to. That's the first model where you get pre-outs. Seriously overlooked model. People see the TX-870 branded as Integra and go nuts over it. Some guy has been trying to sell a TX-890 recently on that auction site, first at $395, now whittled down to $275 after no takers on the last two. I wouldn't pay more than $175 for it. It's 125wpc, but I don't really think you'll hear much of a difference from 80wpc. Plus, it's enormous and 15lbs heavier... kind of overkill.

Brand new here - I've had a TX-860 since the early '90's, and never felt the need to replace it. I'm looking to get back into vinyl, and was wondering if one of the vintage Marantz receivers (2230, 2235, 2240) would be a step up or step down.

I'm about to pick up some Advent 5002 speakers, and currently have (I'm braced for abuse) Bose 401 speakers that I also got circa 1990. I don't really get all the Bose bashing, unless it is directed at all the surround sound stuff they're doing now, because these sound pretty good.

Of course, I'm a raw rookie at all of this. Any advice would be appreciated!

Welcome to Audio Karma!

The Advents are quite decent... as long as the crossover components are in good shape and the woofer surrounds are intact. Your TX-860 would drive them very well.

The Marantz receivers you've mentioned are 70's vintage. From what I've read, they lean towards being warm. Many people love them. It will be a different sound from the TX-860. I find the TX-860 pretty much neutral, but I do take advantage of the dynamic bass extender to warm it up some. You have very good control over the degree applied, and the technology behind it does not perform a simple +/- bass attenuation. I find it is selective enough not to disturb the higher frequencies.

If you're getting back into vinyl, I'd say you'll hear more difference from the cartridge/stylus you select than from the amplifier. Best to get that first, then think about amplification if you feel you need a change.

Bose gets bashed for their marketing hype... very much over the top. But they did make some very good speakers at various points in time. The 901's are excellent. The main thing was the price. You overpay with anything new from Bose. And that's why they're a good deal used, because in many cases the old speakers don't have very high resale value. I'm not familiar with the 401's, but if you enjoy them then don't feel ashamed. Many great used speakers can be had for rather cheap money, so it's fun to get others for comparison. Speakers make the biggest difference in a sound system.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the welcome, and the response - I've come here so often for information that I felt I had to join.

In fact, the Advent deal fell through (they would have needed refoaming besides), but I got a great deal on a perfectly functioning Marantz 2238B, Technics SL-1500, and Realistic Optimus 1 speakers from a guy on craigslist. I'm looking forward to comparing the Marantz and Onkyo. I get the feeling I'll opt for the warmer sound of the Marantz, but we'll see.

I'm putting an AT 120E cartridge on the Technics, so that should offer a bit of brightness from what I've heard. And these Realistic speaker sounded terrific when the seller demo'd the Marantz for me - he practically threw in the TT and speakers. Go figure. I'll report back with feedback.

Thanks again!!

Congrats on the Marantz amp and Technics TT, samii. They are reputed to be excellent components. I am keenly interested in hearing your comparative impression of the Marantz to the Onkyo. My suspicion is that you'll find the Marantz to have a warmer sound, a bit more tube like than the Onkyo. I would be very curious to know if you detect a difference in higher frequency detail between the two. Let us know when you can! :)

OK, it's been a while, and I tried a bunch of different combinations, and what sounds the best is the Marantz 2238B, along with the Technics and my Bose 401's. I put a Shure M97xE cart on the Technics, and the sound really is terrific - warm (as you suspected) and rich. I found that I much prefer warm to bright.

The Onkyo / Technics / AT120E combo was bright and beautifully detailed, but a bit fatiguing. The 120E was even a bit bright with the Marantz, but switching to the Shure provided that nice warm, full sound that you can crank as loud as you want, and listen as long as you want.

I had some speed issues with the Technics, but some contact cleaner took care of that very nicely. The only thing I might still do is pick up a Jico S.A.S. stylus, as I hear that is a major upgrade over the stock stylus in the M97xE. I don't feel the need to get a pre-amp, as the Marantz sounds wonderful on its own.

But I am enjoying vinyl again, and loving the vintage sound of this stuff.

Last edited:
Onkyo TX-SV727 & Cerwin Vega MX250

This is my first system, can u tell me best for this system?

I purchased my Onkyo TX-870 in I think 1989.......I still use it and it works excellent. The only option that does not work is the MUTE, which is only controlled by the remote. The light comes on but the receiver does not mute anything......I had it fixed once but did not last.
Other than that I have not had any issues with it. I do feel the output may be over stated by Onkyo, 105wpc seems like a lot, I will guess probably max 90-100....but who cares, thats plenty.
I replaced a Yamaha receiver (don't know the model) but it only had like 30wpc and no features. I like the Onkyo because of all the features and inputs as well as the premain out options......never used it though.
The tone and balance controls are giving me crackle noise when I turn them off center, I assume the connections are getting old and dirty by now.
The adjustable Loudness slider was always a cool feature I thought, and the FM Tuning section was always very good......although now adays I hardly listen to FM radio.
Cool thread for sure! Here is a pic of mine

Attachments

• Onkyo TX870.JPG
    Onkyo TX870.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 122
Revive an old thread. I've got a onkyo/integra tx 88 circa 1988 l believe. 80 watts per at 0.025. I love it very nice sound and plenty of power. The thing that always puzzled me is that it has two transformers, one large one small. They claim the small one is used to smooth out "transient" response. Whatever that means, sounds good. I wonder if it actually serves a real purpose or if other onkyo receivers used this also.:confused:

Sent from my LG-P505 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom