The other end of the USB cable ...

Discussion in 'DACs' started by sKiZo, Mar 19, 2016.

1. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

Most win 10 drivers are WASAPI (if they are written for Win 10 specifically) and also you get the benefit of improved USB drivers also.

2. gvl

gvl Active Member

The player app must be able to open the audio device in exclusive mode and use WASAPI interface to send audio to it. If your player can't do this it will send to the default audio device that will put the samples through the OS mixer butchery. Drivers or not.

3. botrytis

[​IMG]

That is the fault of the Audio Device maker not MS.

4. gvl

gvl Active Member

It is the fault of the player app if it cannot support WASAPI. WASAPI sits above the driver as this diagram clearly shows.

5. dewdude

dewdude I fix stuff.

No. There are no power leads in the cable going to my DAC.

It is solely powered by an external PSU.

6. gvl

gvl Active Member

Interesting, I tried cutting power conductors once with a self-powered DAC but it wouldn't get detected by the OS.

7. dewdude

dewdude I fix stuff.

Ok...i remembered this because Im at work and I tend to forget stuff I do that takes 3 minutes and was 10 months ago.

Mine may still have the ground. You generally need the ground reference for the data line returns.

I think I either left the ground connected...or it's getting ground from the shield. I'd cut the shield to confirm...but I'm not doing that.

8. dewdude

dewdude I fix stuff.

Then WTF is shared mode?

9. gvl

gvl Active Member

I tried cutting all including the shield but no dice which makes sense, remaining ground was not a deal as I was having a ground-loop kind of issue at the time.

10. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8641 Subscriber

Seems to me I remember reading that the PP card just needs to be on the buss to get a unique hardware ID assigned as a WindOhs! device. It then creates it's own exclusive USB channel.

11. BigElCat

BigElCat ^Since no one asked^ It's Reepicheep Subscriber

I couldn't find the WASAPI option in Windows 10 media player.

I switched to MusicBee in order to use WASAPI.

My DAC, a MusicHall 25.3, doesn't hand shake with the PC, because it uses the coax output from the Singxer F-1.

The Singxer F-1 made an even greater improvement in sound than the Paul Pang card did by itself. Maybe it's the synergy between the Paul Pang and the Singxer F-1.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017 at 8:50 AM
  12. botrytis

Shared mode means sharing IRQ's etc. Those are shared. Been doing quite a bit of reading on Windows audio lately.

13. dewdude

dewdude I fix stuff.

You need to go get your money back.

WASAPI has two modes...exclusive and shared. Exclusive mode gives the program direct access to the sound card.

Shared mode...which is what 99% of apps run as well as where MME and DirectSound are emulated. This has nothing to do with IRQs. It "shares" the card among all your programs by taking all their audio streams and mixing them in to a mastet stream to feed the card. This is why you can have per-application volumes. But shared mode resamples to a master rate.

WASAPI does not imply exclusive mode...or shouldn't. It is the underlying audio engine in Windows that replaced MME and Direct Sound.

Exclusive bypasses mixer...shared uses mixer.