The P-Mount owners club

The Realistic catalogue confirms the telescoping stylus for the initial years of production. I have the user sheet that came with an RXT6 that confirms the database specs and this partial spec sheet for the RXT5 at least confirms the separation figure.

I suspect that there may have been some changes to later versions of the RXT6, including the cantilever, when the V15RS was added as the top of the line in 1989. The 1989 catalogue lists the RXT6 but indicates separation was reduced to 25 dB and the 30dB claim is applied to the V15RS.

Published specifications on these two cartridges are all over the place. The Shure Discontinued Phono Cartridge and Stylus Cross Reference Chart lists the original styli as Hyperelliptical, which is not correct. The original stylus for the RXT5 is the R15X and the original stylus for the RXT6 is the R16X. Both have .2 x .7 mil elliptical styli. I have not seen a RXT6 with a nude diamond or telescoped cantilever yet. So, I assumed the stylus construction was the only difference between the two. As far as performance goes, I can only tell you my experience. The V15RS stylus (VNSE3HE) does have a Hyperelliptical diamond.

I recall a recent thread where someone reported success with using a JICO VN35 SAS stylus in their V15LT, but I cannot find it now. I made note of that as the owner of a V15LT myself.

Have you purchased from them? Are these new? Just wonder if there is a problem with old elastomer suspension.
Are those numbers EUROS?

I purchased one a couple years ago. It currently does not have any issue with the suspension and sounds fine. However, these originals are very old. You might want to contact them prior to purchasing to ask what the return policy is.

I recall a recent thread where someone reported success with using a JICO VN35 SAS stylus in their V15LT, but I cannot find it now. I made note of that as the owner of a V15LT myself.

Post 185 above from wualta shows the JICO VN35 SAS installed in a V15 LT.

Published specifications on these two cartridges are all over the place. The Shure Discontinued Phono Cartridge and Stylus Cross Reference Chart lists the original styli as Hyperelliptical, which is not correct. The original stylus for the RXT5 is the R15X and the original stylus for the RXT6 is the R16X. Both have .2 x .7 mil elliptical styli. I have not seen a RXT6 with a nude diamond or telescoped cantilever yet. So, I assumed the stylus construction was the only difference between the two. As far as performance goes, I can only tell you my experience. The V15RS stylus (VNSE3HE) does have a Hyperelliptical diamond.
Very difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff here; lots of contradictory information.

I think I recall that they called the RXT5 a 'biradial' and the RXT6 'something' elliptical, but I don't think it was hyperelliptical (and yes, both were .2 x .7).

Just discovered that the Shure website's FAQ (# 2681) revealed this back in 2008:

"...The VN35MR replacement styli will fit the the V15 LT body. It will look a little odd, because the VN35MR stylus is wider than the V15 LT body, but it does fit and should work fine."

I assume the VN35E and HE styli would qualify as well.

Any opinions on the Shure M92e? I have a Technics SL-D3 and the AT and Grado Black haven't been so great. Cheap speakers and low receiver wattage may be effecting the sound
Can anyone address this issue? Since it's a modestly priced system...Thank you!

The Shure M92E is a p-mount cartridge and wouldn't be at its best in your SL-D3. Which A-T (I assume Audio-Technica) did you try and didn't like?

The Shure M92E is a p-mount cartridge and wouldn't be at its best in your SL-D3. Which A-T (I assume Audio-Technica) did you try and didn't like?
AT3311, the cheapo green one. Then I upgraded to a Grado Black1….better but not terrific. I need a cartridge that is smoother, balanced, crisp on the high end, but also more forgiving. I cannot afford a lot of first pressings. The Pickering V-15, the Shure M97, or an upgraded stylus on the Grado to a Green or Blue were all previously considered.
Wish I could listen to them all...

Last edited:
I've got a Shure Pro 6 (P mount) with near new stylus and Shure converter to standard mount. Need to try it out soon. Any idea how it will sound?

Roughly like an M95ED, maybe not as smooth on top. The bodies of the Pro-6 and M95 are the same. The differences are in the stylus.

Back
Top Bottom