The P-Mount owners club

I recently picked up a Technics SL-QD3 TT that had a wonderful Audio Technica AT-132EP cart on it. I liked it so much that I tried mounting it on a headshell to use on my SL1200MKII but it wasn't a good match. When it tracked well it sounded FANTASTIC but it just wasn't properly tracking 50% of my records.

So I put the AT-132EP away for now, and I purchased an AT3482P for the SL-QD3 because it has a conical tip stylus. I mostly intend to play mono records on this system and this cart works great for this.

I recently joined the P-Mount club with an AT132EP as well. It came on a Technics SL-5 linear tracker I picked up for the princely sum of 10 dollars. I was just looking for a cheap turntable for office use and the clamshell, close-and-play design seemed to be less prone to potential damage in that environment that a convention turntable. The compact size was also a plus. For 10 bucks, I didn't even bother asking if it came with a cartridge, let alone what kind. It wasn't until I got it home and started listening to it, and was VERY impressed with the sound quality from this little turntable that looked like a child's toy that I bothered to look at the cartridge model number and google it. Wow, did I get lucky.

Like you, I have pulled the AT132EP while I consider what to do with it. I have a couple turntables with low mass arms that should be a good match for it. So, it may go on one of those. I also have my eyes out for a conventional 1/2" mount AT cartridge that can accept the stylus from the AT132EP. After all, it's that tiny nude 0.2 x 0.7 mil diamond on the tapered aluminum cantilever that's the star of the show.

In the mean time, I picked up another turntable that had an AT90 with the same ATN3482P 0.7 mil conical stylus you are running (which is more than adequate for my office application). That one came on a standard headshell with the P-Mount to 1/2" adapter. So, I moved it to the SL-5 and have the hardware to mount the AT132EP to a conventional headshell when the time comes. I have a Sony PS-X55 I am servicing whose low mass arm should be a good match for the AT132EP. Once I get that turntable sorted, Ill give it a try. I have to admit, until I heard the AT132EP, I always avoided P-Mount cartridges. I just assumed they were all cheap and inferior. The AT132EP really opened my eyes (and ears) to the quality that is available in this format.

Audio-Technca-AT132-EP-1.jpg

Audio-Technca-AT132-EP-2.jpg

I recently joined the P-Mount club with an AT132EP as well. It came on a Technics SL-5 linear tracker I picked up for the princely sum of 10 dollars. I was just looking for a cheap turntable for office use and the clamshell, close-and-play design seemed to be less prone to potential damage in that environment that a convention turntable. The compact size was also a plus. For 10 bucks, I didn't even bother asking if it came with a cartridge, let alone what kind. It wasn't until I got it home and started listening to it, and was VERY impressed with the sound quality from this little turntable that looked like a child's toy that I bothered to look at the cartridge model number and google it. Wow, did I get lucky.

Like you, I have pulled the AT132EP while I consider what to do with it. I have a couple turntables with low mass arms that should be a good match for it. So, it may go on one of those. I also have my eyes out for a conventional 1/2" mount AT cartridge that can accept the stylus from the AT132EP. After all, it's that tiny nude 0.2 x 0.7 mil diamond on the tapered aluminum cantilever that's the star of the show.

In the mean time, I picked up another turntable that had an AT90 with the same ATN3482P 0.7 mil conical stylus you are running (which is more than adequate for my office application). That one came on a standard headshell with the P-Mount to 1/2" adapter. So, I moved it to the SL-5 and have the hardware to mount the AT132EP to a conventional headshell when the time comes. I have a Sony PS-X55 I am servicing whose low mass arm should be a good match for the AT132EP. Once I get that turntable sorted, Ill give it a try. I have to admit, until I heard the AT132EP, I always avoided P-Mount cartridges. I just assumed they were all cheap and inferior. The AT132EP really opened my eyes (and ears) to the quality that is available in this format.

That's great! Glad you see [and hear] what I was talking about. I also payed $10 for the SL-QD3 & AT132EP! Got those with a minty SX-880 which was also $10. Best damn $20 I ever spent.

Welcome to the club. I'm currently spinning an ADC PSX-30 on my Technics and it's awesome. I always try to stock up on styli when I can find them, because they're getting harder and harder to find. I'm glad to see you enjoying the simplicity of a p-mount table. I love mine.

Some folks are buying the PSX-30 and PSX-40 stylus to use in re-tipping jobs for other cartridges. They are that good.

Hi all, read through most of this thread but not all of it.

So i'm a new P-Mount owner, just got a technics SL-QX200.

I need to get a new cart and stylus for it. Budget around $100-$120 (though if it's a bit lower that's fine). Looking for something for everyday use that sounds nice.

From earlier in this thread i'm thinking about getting the:
Stanton L727E and EVG 4606-DEX

there just seems to be a whole lot to choose from and to pair together :).

I really appreciate it.

Thanks

Last edited:
The way I look at this stuff... you'll get buried in a bunch of opinions based on personal experiences and preferences. Some have tried this and some have tried others. The only way to truly know what you like is to try it. If you buy it and it doesn't suit you, sell it and try another till you find what suits your ears.

Hi all, read through most of this thread but not all of it.
So i'm a new P-Mount owner, just got a technics SL-QX200.

I need to get a new cart and stylus for it. Budget around $100-$120 (though if it's a bit lower that's fine). Looking for something for everyday use that sounds nice.

From earlier in this thread i'm thinking about getting the:
Stanton L727E and EVG 4606-DEX

I have that exact combo and am very happy with it, FWIW. Keep in mind that if you buy a used cartridge that works properly, and it doesn't float your boat, you can resell it here or the'bay for about what you paid for it. If you buy new, you'll take a depreciation hit if you resell it later.

I've got over a dozen P-mounts and I *LOVE* rolling them.

Have a few P mounts around, Shure, AT, Technics, Grado. Mostly from thrift finds, usually just listen to a new AT92E (which sounds better than most).

Have an old AT221EP on my SL-7 now - sounds better to me, stylus is still good. Wouldn't mind upgrading that body to something better if I could find a reasonable price.

My favorite P-Mount so far is the AT PM7000. I have used it with the EVG Japan 4212-DET stylus and it sounds great. Originally got it free with an old Technics turntable from a thrift (paid 8 bucks for the TT).

IMG_0639.JPG IMG_0640.JPG IMG_0641.JPG

I have a few P-Mounts in various states of being revived from thrift and CL purchases. I recently cleaned and replaced the belt on a SL-J3 with a AT-90 and really like it. I just picked up some of those NOS AT450 and just installed. Blown away. I'm not an expert, but my goodness this sounds really nice. I like how easy it is to change carts on the P-mounts. Makes it fun to try different ones. I can see why people have such large collections!

I have a SL-Q302 with a Grado Gold with sounds great. My Daughter has a SL-BD20 with a Grado Green and it also sounds good. A friend of mine just decided to get into the vinyl worm hole and I went with him yesterday and he picked up a very clean and nice sounding SL-B200. I will be giving him a Kenwood receiver from the early 2000's and a pair of vintage pioneer CS-06 speakers. I can't remember what the cartridge is, I know it's a AT but don't remember model. I will be helping him set it all up Thursday hopefully. Also he was given a Jimi Hendrix album and a Led Zeppelin III album, he traded a electric guitar he doesn't use for it. He is very excited.

Just a heads-up for those looking for a good p-mount cartridge...

This cartridge, listed on Ebay isn't an ADC PSX-A. That's the number of the 1/2" adapter that it's mounted in. Unless I'm mistaken, it's an ADC PSX-30 - which is a fine cartridge.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ADC-PSX-A-...864687?hash=item2ce6bf67ef:g:0oEAAOSweGpcgYL3

Pick it up for less than $30 and get a few of these at $5.99/each, and you've got an excellent combo (with spare styli) for less than $50.

https://www.needledoctor.com/ADC-PSx30-Stylus

FYI: if I didn't already have a couple of these cartridges, I would've already bought it and the rest of you would be SOL!!!! :p

Back
Top Bottom