The P-Mount owners club

Here's my list:
-AT 90 without stylus;
-NOS Technics EPC 310;
-Technics EPC 310 without cantilever/stylus (came with my NTM (= New To Me :D:D:D) SL 10;
-Technics P51 w/ P30 elliptical stylus (NOS); this is the combo I'm using now and I love it.
- x2 Leson PCM with an MC1 (horrible sounding) stylus;
-NOS Shure V15LT with a beautiful new stylus, but cartridge simply doesn't work. Sounds like faint AM radio interference thru speaker cables. On the market for a used body, but folks who are selling seem to think they can buy themselves a new car with the money from the cart.

I have a few, nothing real impressive though.
Cartridges:
AT 3482P
Shure M92E
Sanyo MG29P w/ Pfanstiehl conical & elliptical
Technics P23 w/ EVG conical
Pickering DLE ? (label too worn to read) w/ EVG D71EE
Shure M94LT plastic trimmed in front for more stylus options w/ EVG N104E

Turntables:
Sherwood ST903 belt drive linear tracker
Fisher MT32
Panasonic SL H308

Hugo65: I very much hope I'm wrong, but your V15 LT sounds like endstage rubber hardening.

Here's my list:
-AT 90 without stylus;
-NOS Technics EPC 310;
-Technics EPC 310 without cantilever/stylus (came with my NTM (= New To Me :D:D:D) SL 10;
-Technics P51 w/ P30 elliptical stylus (NOS); this is the combo I'm using now and I love it.
- x2 Leson PCM with an MC1 (horrible sounding) stylus;
-NOS Shure V15LT with a beautiful new stylus, but cartridge simply doesn't work. Sounds like faint AM radio interference thru speaker cables. On the market for a used body, but folks who are selling seem to think they can buy themselves a new car with the money from the cart.

Nice collection. Don't give up on finding a V15LT body. There are plenty of these out there, but quite the opposite for replacement styli. I believe a lot of people trying to sell cartridge bodies don't realize the money is in the stylus with these. BTW, are you sure yours is bad?

I have a few, nothing real impressive though.
Cartridges:
AT 3482P
Shure M92E
Sanyo MG29P w/ Pfanstiehl conical & elliptical
Technics P23 w/ EVG conical
Pickering DLE ? (label too worn to read) w/ EVG D71EE
Shure M94LT plastic trimmed in front for more stylus options w/ EVG N104E

Turntables:
Sherwood ST903 belt drive linear tracker
Fisher MT32
Panasonic SL H308

You gotta good start! You have a lot of options with those except the Pickering (not much available for those stylus wise). But with the others you can pop are VERY good stylus on them if you like down the road!

...endstage rubber hardening.
To clarify, the rubber I'm referring to is the little square rubber donut tucked inside the long square-section brass-looking stylus insertion tube. In other words, if some sound is coming out of both channels of your V15 LT body, chances are the problem is in the stylus, and don't ask me how I know. Painful subject. You can check the body for continuity with an ohmmeter, or you can simply buy a suitable cheap generic stylus and flick the diamond. If it makes a sound like fingerprints in both channels, the body is good. It would be heartbreaking to find that the stylus is bad, but it's happened more than once.

To clarify, the rubber I'm referring to is the little square rubber donut tucked inside the long square-section brass-looking stylus insertion tube. In other words, if some sound is coming out of both channels of your V15 LT body, chances are the problem is in the stylus, and don't ask me how I know. Painful subject. You can check the body for continuity with an ohmmeter, or you can simply buy a suitable cheap generic stylus and flick the diamond. If it makes a sound like fingerprints in both channels, the body is good. It would be heartbreaking to find that the stylus is bad, but it's happened more than once.
Wualta, the stylus is working. I tucked it into the V15III that's on my TD125 MkII (we really enjoy showing off, don't we?:jump:) and it sounded fantastic. I don't know if it's our tropical weather, but dry suspension rubber is as rare as hens' teeth around here BTW, at least to me. The problem is in the body. I didn't have a t4p tonearm around when the cartridge arrived, so I mounted it on a TK24 Dual sled and had the bad news. Next, I tried it on the SMEIIIs, and nothing came out, except that little whizz again. I even tried the Vn45 SAS on it, but nothing happened. In fact, the sound nearly disappeared completely. I thought I had nothing to lose so I opened the cart and sprayed some WD40 in it, especally on the laminated cores, which seems to have made that buzz a hair louder, but this may be only the reflection of my anxiety. Finally, the Sl10 came in and, well, that's a lost cause. Any ideas on this? Anyway, thanks for the puzzle you provided me with: I just got home from a 4-hour drive, most of which I spent trying to figure out what the heck an endstage rubber was!!!:rflmao::rflmao::rflmao::rflmao:

Last edited:
Ya hey! a happy ending for the expensive bit, the stylus! Yeah, people will ask a Lotus Europa Twincam's worth for the body, but at least you have other cartridges to use the stylus in, which makes waiting for a reasonably priced body less painful. And as far as I'm concerned, you can show off all you want. That's part of the fun of coming here.

The V15 III body and the V15LT body are the same inside, so simply load your III the way Shure recommends loading the IV (this is capacitance load I'm talking about), and presto, you'll hear IV sound from the LT stylus.

Rubber doesn't dry out due to low humidity-- rubber deteriorates in a whole lotta ways, but mostly it's ozone and oxygen and heat that accelerates aging. Some of my NOS Shure styli are fine, and some came to me sounding like AM radio in a thunderstorm. Unless you've owned a given stylus yourself for the past 40 years, you just don't know what its home life was like, and the top models seem to be the most vulnerable.

Endstage rubber hardening is pretty much death for a stylus. The rubber donut gets hard as a bowling ball and the cantilever is basically locked in place. There's no bass at all and the treble sounds like either AM radio or St. Louis in the summer with the cicadas buzzsawing away. May it never happen to you!

If you survived that bla bla, you'll be disappointed to hear that I don't know what's gone wrong with your LT body, although I suspect cold solder joints where the fine wires from the coils connect to the terminal pins. Don't toss the body, because someone here might have a fix or at least a diagnosis, and some have successfully resoldered those fine wires-- me, I'd be tempted to use conductive adhesive.

That's what I was thinking. Usually when these go bad, it's a single channel that goes out.
@Decibel_116 , yeah, a couple of decades ago one of my M91ED lost one channel, the same happened to an old M44 (yeah, I'm a Shure guy, with a few well chosen exceptions in my cart collection) so I know this is not the case with the LT. I'd never seen anything like this issue I'm having with the V15 LT, except what happened with my old Neat Vertex V70, when I installed it on the Dual (a very unusual 1235, a model assembled in Argentina and distributed to all the other South American countries): for the first 2 minutes, it sounded as if the speakers were covered with thick blankets, and then it started to gradually open up and shine, until it fully recovered its sweet tone, which I've always been fond of. folks on the other forum were like "er, d'ya always drink before you start needle-dropping?" when I told them. It was like the circuit was burning in again, which is something many folks believe can happen, while most others are skeptical about. And, yes, a V15LT body has got to pop up somewhere, someday, for a fair price, so I'm not giving up.
If you survived that bla bla, you'll be disappointed to hear that I don't know what's gone wrong with your LT body, although I suspect cold solder joints where the fine wires from the coils connect to the terminal pins. Don't toss the body, because someone here might have a fix or at least a diagnosis, and some have successfully resoldered those fine wires-- me, I'd be tempted to use conductive adhesive.
That was a most enlightening bla bla, Waulta. Thank you!! I'm hoping some knowledgeable and/or skillful AKer will chime in and help me sort this out before I do something stupid, like touching the terminals with a hot solder iron in an attempt to cause the solder to melt and harden up again.

I'm hoping some knowledgeable and/or skillful AKer will chime in and help me sort this out before I do something stupid, like touching the terminals with a hot solder iron in an attempt to cause the solder to melt and harden up again.
That, or something like it, may become necessary down the road, and it has been done. But first you should test the internals with an ohmmeter, preferably a modern digital one. If the resistance measurements check out (spec is 1380 ohms) and this project becomes a "thing", you might want to start a new thread specific to the repair.

5122-Ortofon--OMP--30--Tonabnehmer-TA00231-OMP-30.jpg

I'll bet I don't have 50 hours on mine on my Technics SL-5 .

I only have one, the Audio Technica 8008. I bought it back in the late 80's to use with my Technics SL-QL1, but I sold the turntable before I has a chance to use the 8008. I did manage to use it on a JVC QL-Y66F using the adapter that came with and it sounded damn good. The cartridge is still mounted on a headshell, but needs a new stylus.

So I did a quick shootout among 8 of the 9 P-mount cartridges I own (my Shure M111HE is on a SL-7 that is out for repair). I listened to two tracks from the Yellowjackets’ album “Four Corners.” I wish I’d had time to listen to some vocals to get a better sense of the midrange, so this is what it is, down and dirty. It was a real spur-of-the-moment kinda thing.

Technics SL-5 table, Onkyo A-5 amp, and Music Hall Marimba speakers in a nearfield setting. Here are my impressions, in order of my overall preferences:

1) Stanton L727 w EVG 4606-DEX stylus – my favorite overall. Big, full sound, excellent bass, detailed treble without being fatiguing.

2) Stanton L720 w D71E stylus – nicely balanced

3) Ortofon TM-14 w 4541-DEL – excellent bass!

4) AT92E w VividLine stylus – brighter for sure, nice treble detail but I can imagine this would get fatiguing to my ears. Very good bass.

5) Grado Black (original stylus) – nice warm sound, good bass, a bit dull treble though. Still haven’t tried out the 8MZ stylus yet…

6) Audio Technica LS450/LT w EVG 4212-DEC – Lively! But a bit too bright and bass-shy compared to the other carts.

7) Empire 195LT with 246-DEX – dull, dull, dull! Maybe the stylus needed time to break-in, but I could not get this off soon enough

8) AT216EP – had a major tracking problem, jumped out of the groove a few times on the one track I listened to. There is a gap between the aftermarket stylus and the body that probably shouldn’t be there. I tried forcing it to close the gap with no luck.

I must add the caveat that, except for the Grado, all of these have new styli with very few hours on them - most are brand-new, except for the L720 and AT92, which both might have 10-20 hours on them. So in fairness, maybe some of these will improve over time.

Which are your favorites, revox?
Tom,
I have them listed by my preference. It is a tough choice between the Pickering XL33 and The PSX-40.
My buddy prefers the Pickering but I keep the PSX on top. I actually compared the ADC against a Shure V15- IV with Jico N45HE the other week. The V15 won but the PSX-40 does 95% of what the V15 is capable of.

Interesting on the Empire comment. My 290 is pretty blah too. I had been looking for one of the xx5 bodies for a while as I have head they are much better. It should not be too hard to find NOS styli for that series either.

I have a Ortofon TM-14 somewhere.... That cartridge is very upgradeable with NOS styli too.

Back
Top Bottom