The P-Mount owners club

I've been very happy with my AT 211 EP and AT 216 EP

I recently bought a used Technics EPC P 310 MC and all I can say is WOW.

I listened to War "All Day Music" and then Ed Sheeran "Divide" this morning with a Transfiguration Axia on my Denon DP-60L through a HypnoToad LOMC build with a load of 100 ohms.

Then I listened to the two lps with the Technics 310 MC on my Technics SL-5 through the same phono stage and WOW. I didn't notice much difference between the 2 set ups.

The SL-5 and Technics setup costs less than a good used Denon DP-60L without a cartridge

Oh, the rest of this system was an NAD 3020 integrated amp that had been completely restored by "Leesonic" and a pair of Nakamichi Reference Monitors with the Mitsubishi/Diatone drivers

Spring for a Jico from Jico that includes the tie wire, and all those nitpicks go away. You get super tracking and much better high end detail and definition.

I think I am going to go for this one. The trackability with the $17 cart is driving me nuts :(

Question for you and the others here too: what is the difference between a Stanton and Pickering anyway other than name and looks? Is there a history anywhere online for the two?

Last edited:
Anyone know anything about an Empire LTD 280 cartridge? I just picked up one on the cheap ($30). Did I waste my money? Is there a decent stylus available for it? Which one?

It's a good'un! It's basically a p-mount version of the much-beloved 'Chunky' model the 400 TC. You could get one of Gary's 4241-DID styli while you look for an original S400TC stylus. Or an S44E. Or..

The LTD280's spec sheet couldn't be with us tonight, so here, accepting the award for Reddest Stylus ever, is the 480 LT, along with the standard-mount 400 TC specs for comparison.

Empire 400 TC specs.jpg LTD 280 stylus specs.jpg

Last edited:
It's a good'un! It's basically a p-mount version of the much-beloved 'Chunky' model the 400 TC. You could get one of Gary's 4241-DID styli while you look for an original S400TC stylus. Or an S44E. Or..

The LTD280's spec sheet couldn't be with us tonight, so here, accepting the award for Reddest Stylus ever, is the 480 LT, along with the standard-mount 400 TC specs for comparison.

View attachment 1043279 View attachment 1043282

Ok...you lost me after the first sentence.o_O But that first sentence told me a lot....and I'm happy! I don't mind spending a few bucks on a stylus for it it is a good performer (I put a JICO SAS on my M91ED). I'll definitely look around for a stylus, but if you have any further stylus suggestions, feel free to let me know.

That generic is a particularly good deal, and good deals on high-performance generics in the Empire world are rare. The 4242-DEX is the same stylus, by the way. The good 'Chunky' (real name: Dynamic Interface) styli have become as hard to find as the 239-PDE or the stylus for the 2000E/III.
I know this isn't the Big Fat Empire Thread, but if I'm losing you with nicknames like 'Chunky', or references to other Empire carts, we may want to take you over there so you can freely hobnob with the Empires, learn the lore of the LTD 280, and so on.

That generic is a particularly good deal, and good deals on high-performance generics in the Empire world are rare. The 4242-DEX is the same stylus, by the way. The good 'Chunky' (real name: Dynamic Interface) styli have become as hard to find as the 239-PDE or the stylus for the 2000E/III.
I know this isn't the Big Fat Empire Thread, but if I'm losing you with nicknames like 'Chunky', or references to other Empire carts, we may want to take you over there so you can freely hobnob with the Empires, learn the lore of the LTD 280, and so on.

Thanks for all that info. I tried to use the search function, but didn't get a lot of matches to my inquiry. I'll probably buy one or two of the generics. However, I might look for an upgrade. Is this one?

I really wish someone made a decent generic for the 875-XLT. I'm lucky I have two of the original quad styli for it, but wish there were a generic I could use on it for the not-so-good albums. The only one I have found is so stiff it won't even track :(

I saw this a while back. The channel separation spec of 18dB concerns me a little.

I figure at that price point, you can't expect miracles, but for an every day, I only have 50 year old records and such it may be a great option. I'm still surprised at how well some of these inexpensive carts and styli sound! If it sounds as good as the original AT-92e with less IGD, I'm all for it!

Back
Top Bottom