The P-Mount owners club

I double checked the fit of the N97xe in my M92. It is tight and will not quite go flush to the cartridge body. It sounds fine however.

Shure M92E.png shure m92e, silver, no cap.jpg
I should have mentioned that M92E bodies don't have the plastic cap-- at least, I can't find a photo of one with a cap-- but we regularly encounter used turntables whose original fancier Shure p-mounts did have the cap and had their fancy styli replaced with nice cheap N92Es somewhere along the way. Anyway, a capless M92E will present no obstacle to mounting a stabilizer-equipped stylus. As you found, a millimeter short in the stylus insertion won't affect the sound materially in any case.

My comment about removing the brush is that you need to add 1/2 gram of tracking force with the brush down. Most P Mount arms do not offer any or enough adjustment to get the extra 1/2 gram.
Remember that the Shure brush supports itself and therefore subtracts its mass from the VTF once it's down on the record. That takes care of the "extra" 0.5g. But the superstructure that supports the moving brush weighs a little extra, so you do end up tracking a little heavier, but that's usually not a problem.

Last edited:
Hi there, I've been lurking, reading every thread referencing the Stanton D74s stylus, but I think I'd like to just be told what to do now. :). I hope I'm in a good thread to ask, I figure we don't need another thread about a particular stylus.

- 1980 Technics sl-d3
- Stanton cartridge but I can't see the number
- I believe the stylus is a d74e
- Had it since new, used a lot, except a time off when it was in the basement for about 10 years.

It works, it sounds okay, but I know when I moved to New England, I wanted to buy a stylus. 25 years ago. (MAN I wish I bought a dozen of em back then and could sell em now for $200 each!). I haven't found anything to magnify the stylus enough to see how it looks, but safe to assume I should get a new one.

I've searched all over. There are crappy-looking replacements for $10 on eBay. Or $400 Stanton D74s stereohedron with cartridge (I wish!). The clear replacement i found is from LP gear (link below).

Should I just get the LP gear, or is there something better?

https://www.lpgear.com/product/STAD0074S.html

I just picked up an ADC SER-III off the 'Bay for $25/shipped. I didn't need it, but I bought several styli on the cheap a couple weeks ago. Might not be a bad investment for my Technics SL-MA1 tables.

I recently got a PSX-30 stylus that surprised me with the quantity of bass it produced. Let me know if your SER-III does the same.

Those don’t get great reviews. If I were you, I’d go to the Jico website and get the Pickering D1200 replacement stylus over the one you linked. Should be about $75 with shipping.

Another possibility is the EVG PM4052DE. It’s decent for the money at about $20.
Excellent. Thank you. I see a couple Pickering D1200 on ebay... any reason not to grab one of those? Or, looks like they have them at KABusa.

Last edited:
Well...

If the D1200 is the PM4052DE aka 4606-DEX, then it’s decent. Also, there’s an eBay seller named EMJ music or something like that. They sell the genuine Jico stylus. I see the price is going up. The PM4052DE on eBay is more like $30 now.

https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/cat...=MfgNameNeedles&MfgName=Pickering&Categories=

The Tonar 546 is good, too.

But the real Jico D1200 is better.

https://www.jico-stylus.com/product_info.php?products_id=1538
I'm aiming for the best I can get under around $80.

I posted this in another thread, but I'll add my experience to this one:

I recently bought a Shure V15LT (with no stylus) that was listed on Ebay for $100. On a whim, I checked the JICO site for some kind of stylus that would fit. I found that JICO was once again offering the original SAS styli - including the VN35HE SAS. I bought one in hopes that it would fit my cartridge ($150 shipped). When it arrived, I had trouble getting the stylus in the cartridge keyhole...but I used a little force and it snapped in place. I've been listening to it for a few days and can honestly say that I like it as much, if not more, than my Pickering XL-33U. It's got a clarity and smoothness to it that I really enjoy. I don't think I can do much better for $250.

Thumbs up to Bourbon! I took the liberty of massaging one of his photos so you can see that the V15 Type III stylus (technically, the Jico SAS replacement for the VN35E) is thin enough to fit the V15LT without removing the LT's chrome-colored cap, which is held to the metal body with double-sided sticky foam, which gives the cap some flexibility.
Shure V15LT with Jico VN35E 5-4.jpg

Very interesting! Based on a post I saw a while back, I was expecting Jico would offer a VN45LT SAS stylus by now but it has not materialized. It's nice to know the VN35 SAS works well.

Very interesting! Based on a post I saw a while back, I was expecting Jico would offer a VN45LT SAS stylus by now but it has not materialized. It's nice to know the VN35 SAS works well.

Actually, when I bought the VN35 SAS, there was a VN45 SAS available. I even asked about it in this thread. However, since then, JICO has pulled all the SAS and neoSAS styli from their site.

Hello , guys !

I wasn't visited the forum for a quite long time ....
Found this thread , wich is interesting .
I am running a Technics SL-QL5 . The cart That I prefere in my system is the Ortofon OMP with OM20 stylus

Always wanted to grab one of those to compare to the RXT5 and RXT6 (I actually prefer the 5 over the 6, which is supposed to be better, but....)

The only other P mount that I have to compare it to is the AT311EP. Just my opinion, but the RXP3 is more detailed, better bass, a pleasant surprise on a thrift store TT.
The only other Shure I have to compare it to is an M93E with a non-oem stylus that has a yellow grip, probably an N91e replacement which I don't care for, too bright for me.

The RXP3 compares favorably to the only other two carts I have, AT95E and ADC G-U.

Always wanted to grab one of those to compare to the RXT5 and RXT6 (I actually prefer the 5 over the 6, which is supposed to be better, but....)

My RXT5 has a nude diamond on a telescoped cantilever as compared to a bonded diamond on a standard aluminum cantilever for the RXT6. The RXT5 seems to do a much better job of tracking - especially high frequencies and sibilance. The RXT6 and the RXP3 (M104e) all have similar performance in my system. All three look to have the same bonded diamond/aluminum cantilever construction as well.

My RXT5 has a nude diamond on a telescoped cantilever as compared to a bonded diamond on a standard aluminum cantilever for the RXT6. The RXT5 seems to do a much better job of tracking - especially high frequencies and sibilance. The RXT6 and the RXP3 (M104e) all have similar performance in my system. All three look to have the same bonded diamond/aluminum cantilever construction as well.

I didn't realize that. I do think the 5 is more detailed than the 6, but the 6 has less sibilance from what I have found.

The Realistic catalogue confirms the telescoping stylus for the initial years of production. I have the user sheet that came with an RXT6 that confirms the database specs and this partial spec sheet for the RXT5 at least confirms the separation figure.

I suspect that there may have been some changes to later versions of the RXT6, including the cantilever, when the V15RS was added as the top of the line in 1989. The 1989 catalogue lists the RXT6 but indicates separation was reduced to 25 dB and the 30dB claim is applied to the V15RS.

Back
Top Bottom