"The Sirius Link" by Mark Dwane, synth guitar artist

hnash53

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
siriuslink.jpg

Mark Dwane creates nearly all of his music from his guitar synth. It's really amazing. The only other device he uses is a drum machine for some percussion.

Many other electronic artists have headed off into the "drone zone" with little emphasis on melody. Not the case with Mark Dwane. Almost all of his music is melodic and instrumental. He does use human voice from time to time but there are no lyrics.

This particular album revolves (I guess that's a pun intended) around the brightest star seen from the Northern Hemisphere... Sirius. Sirius as many of you know is the song by The Alan Parsons Project that opens up the album Eye In The Sky,... and was also the song for when the Chicago Bulls run on to the court. (Do they still do that in Chicago ?)

On this album, every song has a connection to Sirius. As for the music, for me the first and last songs are meh with outstanding songs in between. For me, most noteworthy are Lion People, Stellar Presence, Cosmological, and (my favorite) Legend of the Dogon. The "Legend" is this: when anthropologists from Europe first discovered the Dogon people in Africa, the anthropologists were told by the Dogon that Sirius is a double star. Yet the Dogon have no telescope or any other way of discovering/determining this. (Wikipedia has a page on the Dogon... take a look.) Sirius, being so bright, totally obscures the little companion dwarf star that is paired with Sirius from being seen with the naked eye. (It may be that Sirius is actually a triple star system.) How do the Dogon know this? Well, that's the legend. Might there be other ways of "knowing"?

If you like heavily effected guitar still arranged melodically, you might like this album. (By the way, my system is a vintage quad system... his music sounds pretty bitchin' through 4 channels!!)

Mark Dwane is pretty prolific and has cut numerous albums... many of which are along this same space theme. This particular album is my favorite but he has numerous other albums with lots of great songs. Check out his website if you want to see what else he has released.

You can SEE and listen to many of his songs on youtube.

Happy Listening!!

Back
Top Bottom