The SL-110/Sl-1100 and SP owners club.

My SL 1100ac has always sounded great, but was looking a little "worn", and at some point I lost part of the tonearm lifter mechanism. I bought a replacement arm board (with near-mint EPA-110) last week, and voila! much nicer. A bit of a sonic upgrade with the "new" EPA, which was not expected, but welcome! (lower bass is a bit more defined now.)

I will be joining this club next week...

This will be my second Technics turntable after purchasing a SL1210 mk2 four years ago. Both are classics but there's always been something about the SL1100 which has been alluring. I wish mine came with the strobe light, but i'll just have to be on the hunt for one at a fair price!

The specs on both are pretty close to where I don't imagine I'd hear a difference in wow and flutter or rumble, but we will see.

Anyone here own a Denon DD? I was debating getting one of Denon's vintage direct drives with the Servo controlled arms. They have some really impressive specs on some models but the overall build quality of the plinth and their reliability seem inferior to the Technics.

Last edited:
Agree the Denon motor units were some of their best efforts, maybe not the last best but close to it would be a DP-6000 or DP-7000 in one of Denons solid plinths, professional broadcast standard tables.

Denon DP-75 and DP-80 are excellent. Both feature double-construction platters. As far as I understand, the only difference between these two models is pitch control which is present on DP-80 and absent on DP-75.

Both can be bought from Japan pretty inexpensively, about 1/2 of the price of Technics SP-10 mk2. But in my opinion, they are not any worse than SP-10 mk2. Maybe even better.

I'd also like to know what carts are a good match for the stock EPA 110 arm.

I'm planning to start with my Denon 103 on a Zupreme headshell which has been a favorite of mine on the Technics 1210. My other carts include a Nagaoka MP110, Audio Technica AT150MLX, and a Denon 301mk2. All of them are aligned using the Technics overhang gauge which is 52mm so I should be able to drop them on the EPA-110 without fuss.

Thanks!

I'd also like to know what carts are a good match for the stock EPA 110 arm.

I'm planning to start with my Denon 103 on a Zupreme headshell which has been a favorite of mine on the Technics 1210. My other carts include a Nagaoka MP110, Audio Technica AT150MLX, and a Denon 301mk2. All of them are aligned using the Technics overhang gauge which is 52mm so I should be able to drop them on the EPA-110 without fuss.

Thanks!

I’m using a Denon DL-110, and it’s love. When it’s worn out, I’ll buy a new one. A great match on my system.

What's up with the missing feet. There are three tables for sale on the auction site right now, and all are missing their feet. Was this a normal thing to do, remove the feet.

I'm just wondering why someone would take them off in the first place. What purpose does it serve.
The steel pan resonates when the legs support the alloy top plinth. With the metal rod connecting the pan to the plinth, both resonate. Filling the pan with enough sand will control this but the weight of the sand is enough to stress the plinth; again, when the legs are on. To counter this, when I had my 110, I placed spikes under the pan, which sat on a concrete paver with some isolation below it.

That was my experience, others may have removed them to box the TT or installed an aftermarket alternative and/or simply lost them.

BTW, it's not just the 110 you see without the feet; I bought an SL-150 without feet for a damn good price (basically free, with arm and cartridge).

Last edited:
Stratokaster you certainly know your turntables and everything you said is spot on re these two sleepers that fly under the radar of most turntable buyers. The two prior models I mentioned aren't any slouches either. Denons crowning glory at that time was the DP-100 that took its rightful place among the statement tables.

Got my SL1100 yesterday and have it hooked up in place of my 1210 mk2. Spent around 3 hours checking it over, wiping things down and calibrating the tonearm.

The EPA-110 on my dear was set so high the cartridge would not reach the surface of a record. I was able to quickly unscrew the armboard from the table and inspect the set screws which are used to just the height of the tonearm, lowering mechanism, and the tonearm post which holds it in place. I now have more respect for the tonearm on the Technics 1210 mk2 which to my experience is superior for its ease of use, sophistication and performance.

I will be doing another round of adjustments on the SL1100 to try further dial in the tonearm VTA and address the hum I am getting from the table.

It's a wonderfully built turntable and Im looking forward to getting better acquainted sonically and learning the technical idiosyncrasies of this legendary turntable.

Here's my entrant. Purchased this one and could see the potential.
Replaced the armboard, dampened the pan, installed a Victor tonearm (incredible tonearm), replaced all caps, installed a SAEC metal mat.

1FbeYhWAszUyWAiPA

nW8w9KAppmm9KqwX6

tLKLTjpYJcHtVTwe6

Attachments

• IMG_20181017_101826.jpg
    IMG_20181017_101826.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20181017_104825.jpg
    IMG_20181017_104825.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 270000938.png
    270000938.png
    278.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Great look.
did it come with the wooden base or did you make it?

Thank you, thats one of the reasons I bought it. The wood base came with it. It was apparently an option, it has a Technics part number, SH-11B1.

It would be fairly easy to reproduce and much cheaper than getting one on eBay. I looked it up and one sold for $152. Too much if you ask me.

Replaced the armboard, dampened the pan, installed a Victor tonearm (incredible tonearm), replaced all caps, installed a SAEC metal mat.
Sounds good. I had the SAEC briefly on my deck. Excellent mat...was made for this Tec. Just curious though...why the cork mat under it? Have you tried it straight on the platter?

Very nice....I have a couple of those arm boards and I love them. I also had a wood worker friend make me a solid cherry base for mine. There are pictures of mine earlier in this thread. If you don't mind my asking...which Victor arm did you put on your Technics table. I put a Fidelity research FR-24 mkii on mine...great tonearms. I have heard ery good things about the Victors as well. Thanks for sharing. Beautiful table.

Sounds good. I had the SAEC briefly on my deck. Excellent mat...was made for this Tec. Just curious though...why the cork mat under it? Have you tried it straight on the platter?

I have and that's how it is now. The picture is earlier when I was trying different combinations.

Back
Top Bottom