The Spendor Thread..

Hey guys, I recently bought a pair of Spendor SP3/1 speakers, can someone tell me a little about this pair and where it sits in the food chain of Spendor, Also its rated @ 80 watts handling, so I use Sansui AU-X901 to drive them, should I be worried about damaging the speakers because these are rated @ 130 watts.

I have some Spendor SP2 speakers, which are fitted with Scanspeak D2008 Code 8513 tweeters. One of them has failed, so I need help working out what is the right replacement, as the tweeters are discontinued.

Cheers,
Will.

I have some Spendor SP2 speakers, which are fitted with Scanspeak D2008 Code 8513 tweeters. One of them has failed, so I need help working out what is the right replacement, as the tweeters are discontinued.

Cheers,
Will.
Where are you located? I got mine from Solen in Canada

Last edited:
James, you're far more likely to damage speakers using an amp with too little power, 'cause then if you turn the volume up too far the amp goes into hard clipping (i.e. turns sine waves into trapezoidal waves) and generates a lot of energy at high frequencies. This blows tweeters in very short order.

Vintageo, are you sure that's a phase plug?
The ones on my SP2s don't project far enough forward into the cone to act as phase plugs. At rest, they sit behind the projecting part of the voice coil former (which does behave as a very small phase plug).

Vintageo, are you sure that's a phase plug?
The ones on my SP2s don't project far enough forward into the cone to act as phase plugs. At rest, they sit behind the projecting part of the voice coil former (which does behave as a very small phase plug).

That's what I was told by the fine folks at Spendor..:)

Any recommendations for a subwoofer for my A6Rs? I'm using a McIntosh MA6200 (usually) so I'd need line-level inputs.

My room is about 800 sq feet with 10 foot ceilings.

Hello, first time poster here.

It's good to find a thread with some Spendor love.

I acquired a pair of dark walnut SP2/3R2s a few months ago, after a lengthy audition with the Harbeth C7s. These Spendors are true sleepers, much better than the Harbeths IMO. I have them on Sound Anchor stands and currently driving them with a Parasound Halo Integrated.

I also auditioned the Stirling Broadcast LS3/6, another great speaker, but just a tad too clinical for my taste.

Hello, first time poster here.

It's good to find a thread with some Spendor love.

I acquired a pair of dark walnut SP2/3R2s a few months ago, after a lengthy audition with the Harbeth C7s. These Spendors are true sleepers, much better than the Harbeths IMO. I have them on Sound Anchor stands and currently driving them with a Parasound Halo Integrated.

I also auditioned the Stirling Broadcast LS3/6, another great speaker, but just a tad too clinical for my taste.

Bite
your
tongue!!

I total enjoy my C7-ES3s.

Your ears must be defective.....just kidding. British speakers are wonderful.

Congrats!

Bite
your
tongue!!

I total enjoy my C7-ES3s.

Your ears must be defective.....just kidding. British speakers are wonderful.

Congrats!

Wasn't trying to imply that the C7s are bad by any means, the Spendors are just more aligned with my preferences. Neither speaker produces bass as well as I'd like. I think I'd have to move up to 40.2s or SP100s for that.

Wasn't trying to imply that the C7s are bad by any means, the Spendors are just more aligned with my preferences. Neither speaker produces bass as well as I'd like. I think I'd have to move up to 40.2s or SP100s for that.
That's why I use a sub.

I know, I was just giving you a hard time.

I added a small JL Audio sub into my system. It gave me the added foundation and heft I was looking for, and it blended seamlessly with the Harbeths.

Did the Spendor BCIII have some kind of "foam" in front of the midrange driver ?
I believe to have seen pictures of it, and there is some residues of acoustic foam inside the BCIII speaker front/grilles...

Thanks in advance

Back
Top Bottom