The T Amp E400

Judas Priest

I was thinking about building an IRS 2250 based amp, but the power supply alone would have cost around €100.

So I decided to buy the T Amp E400. It´s sold by Thomann Musikhaus here in Germany, and is pretty popular.

Class AB

120W/ch @ 8 ohm

190W/ch @ 4 ohm

Damping factor over 120

And it costs a whopping €119 :)

Of course, the fan is way too loud, so I bought a Noiseblocker X1, 10 db fan. I can only hear it if I put it directly up to my ear, and only if it´s VERY quiet in the room. I added a 300 ohm resistor in series because the fan is 12V and the stock fan is 24V.

The amp seems to be very well made. It weighs 8.3 kilos, and the housing material is very thick, stabile (sp?), and heavy.

Here are some pictures:

resized_20180128_220330.jpg resized_20180128_220913.jpg resized_20180128_220929.jpg resized_20180128_220938.jpg resized_20180128_222025.jpg

Last edited:
I finally found the time to install the fan and give the amp a listen.

The fan is absolutely silent ( the fan in my laptop is louder), and the amp does what it is supposed to do: amplify :)

I´ll share my impressions when I get in more listening time.

Looks good. There are so many completely silent fans available now that there's no excuse for a mfr to supply an old-fashioned noisy one. That's just one more thing gone with the wind, you might say.

I was able to listen to my new amp tonight a little bit more, and I really like it!

I´ve been using my TDA8932 DIY amp (2x 30W@8 ohms) for most of my listening for over a year now, and was quite happy with it.

But this amp opened my eyes (and ears :) ) a bit. The highs were a bit grating on the TDA amp, and there was noticeable hum between songs or when nothing was playing.

The T Amp is dead quiet and sounds just like an amps should, not at all :)

I would buy another one in a heartbeat, if I needed one. It can also be bridged and used as a subwoofer amp:)

I also have a QSC GX5 for when I really want to ROCK. I bought this amp to bridge the gap between my chip amp and my QSC.
The chip amp was plenty loud for normal listening, but I wanted a bit more headroom just in case :)

For every day listening, the fan in the QSC is too loud. I tried a quieter one, but it was just expensive, not a lot quieter and had less airflow. So I put the stock fan back in.
I only use the QSC when having a Rock/Metal evening, usually at work in the shop where I can CRANK it using my Cerwin Vega D15EE.

It does that VERY well :) The Vegas can take the more than 500W/ch with ease :)

Hi, I am interested in buying the T-amp E 400 and do the same mod like you did. Can you share the links where to buy the fan and the resistor? Also, if possible can you make a small sketch or a close up picture of how to connect the new fan with the resistor in the amp? Thank You!!

Back
Top Bottom