The Ten Commandments of Audio

50% for the speakers,30% for the electronics, 20% for the source or sources. is what we thought in the 60's.

Be aware that listening to speakers in your 50% budget range at multiple stores using different electronics in the 30% budget range could affect what you hear from the same model speakers. Going to different speakers could be misleading as to which is 'better' sounding.

Add to the wisdom:

Turn down volume when putting dust cover onto turntable when record is playing.

Hockey pucks under speakers is cheap and effective. They can be had for $2-$3 in most cheap sporting goods stores.

Never pay more for a component than you can get back if you don’t like it and want to sell it so you can fund your next purchase.

The Ten Audio Commandments
10. Thou shall not be envious of your friends' systems no matter how pathetic they make yours look.
:D
Honestly, this point is funny and somewhat hurtful at the same time. Though I'm truly not given to envy, I'll admit that there a few friends'/acquaintances's homes I stopped visiting as a teenager upon seeing their fleshed-out rack systems versus my table top all-in-one while a teen in the 80s. I'd return home, walk into my room, and proceed to feel somewhat underwhelmed by their separate turntables, EQ units, and tall floorstanding speakers. Two minutes later, I'd throw on one of my favorite records/cassettes and that shit would melt right away. :rockon:

I have to come up with 10? Sh!t I can berry count to 10 and I kant shpell 2 sav mi liphe.

For me; the bottom line is "experience". Greatest sensory experience.
For me: that means finding the gear that leads me to that goal.
For me: it has been a trial and error session. (I have to be able to admit that every step is a part of learning)
For me: I have to admit that I grow and so do my tastes and so should my expectations.
For me: I have to weigh priorities. (read above)
For me: what was the question?
For me: sometimes the power of the music is quit literally measured by the volume of the system.
For me: sometimes the power of the music is quit literally measured by the music itself. (system be damned)

wait - what?

Thou shalt never place thy turntable too close to the speakers, lest ye die of feedback.

If you are looking at a piece of gear thinking you'll fix it up and sell it, by all means do so, AFTER carefully reviewing a mental inventory of the things you already acquired with the same thought in mind.

Honestly, this point is funny and somewhat hurtful at the same time. Though I'm truly not given to envy, I'll admit that there a few friends'/acquaintances's homes I stopped visiting as a teenager upon seeing their fleshed-out rack systems versus my table top all-in-one while a teen in the 80s. I'd return home, walk into my room, and proceed to feel somewhat underwhelmed by their separate turntables, EQ units, and tall floorstanding speakers. Two minutes later, I'd throw on one of my favorite records/cassettes and that shit would melt right away. :rockon:

That never bothered me, but I always knew that I'd be buying something better. So I liked the opportunity to listen to better than my crappy Lloyd's system (which I loved because it brought me music) to help figure out what I liked. My envy was more likely to be over a pretty girl.

The one thing you learn when you go into designing is that everything is a compromise. There is no perfect or ideal system. The room its in will have problems. The materials the listening room is made of will have problems. The pieces of furniture in the room will affect responses, the shape of the room will alter responses. Locations of doorways and windows will alter the symmetry of the listening room. The position of the listener in relationship to the speakers becomes a jig-saw puzzle. The temperature and humidity of the room will alter the sound from day to day as they change. Then the issue is the condition of the person doing the listening. Too tired, too high or mood altered by life with its ups and downs.

Murphy's law:

1. All warranty clauses become void upon payment of invoice.,

2. Dimensions will be expressed in the least usable terms. Example furlongs per fortnight.

3. Identical units tested under identical conditions will not be identical.

4. A dropped tool will land where it can do the most damage.

5. The probability of a dimension being omitted from a plan is proportional to its importance.

6. Interchangeable parts won't.

7. Probability of the failure of a part or sub-assembly is inversely proportional to the ease of repair.

8. If a circuit cannot fail it will.

9. A transistor protected by a fast acting fuse will protect the fuse by blowing first.

10. A failure will not appear until the unit passed final inspection.** and A component will only meets specs long enough to pass final inspection.

MY favorite one is. manufacturer's spec sheets will be incorrect by a factor of 0.5 to 2.0, depending on which multiplier gives the most optimistic value. Saleman's claims the multiplier will be from 0.1 to 10.0.

12. Murphy's law supersedes Ohm's law.'

I want to thank the guy's a Crown who published this, which I abbreviated, in the early 70's. This stuff really applies to tube equipment. **. The failures of rectifiers in the new C-20's is one reason Mac started the Mac amplifier clinics.

"thou shalt rock"
mount-zion-church-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom