The use of "B" speaker outputs. Why do you do it?

Why do you use B speaker outputs

• Total voters
i use my A and B speaker connections on my Sherwood AM-7040 in several ways, one channel is currently running a pair of Kenwood Lsp-9400 towers, the other set is running a pair of yamaha S4115H pro speakers.

the sherwood amp has duel transformers and is able to run two pairs of speakers simultaneously safely without reducing the power output, long as both pairs are not 4ohm or lower rated, which is fine as none of my speakers are four ohm or less, although i can play both pairs at once i mostly listen to the pairs individually, deciding which pair i want to listen to depends on what type of music i am listening to and whether i am listening to my turntable, Cd player etc

but on occasion when i have the house to myself i will turn them all on as well as my three Magnapan SMGAs which are suspended sideways above my other two pairs of speakers as part of my surround setup, and sit back and enjoy a wall of sound that has to be heard to be believed, hence my statement i use my A and B speaker connections in several ways.

Last edited:
I had an Onkyo A9555 hooked to 2 sets of speakers and used them 1 set at a time depending upon the music, mood, and who else was in the house. A went to Dahlquist DQM9s and B went to Soundsmith Monarchs. I tried them both at one time but they were too different and the sound was pretty bad.

Once we reworked the house, I am now fortunate to have 2 audio set ups. One theater and one 2 channel. The 2 channel is a Counterpoint amp with 1 set of speaker connectors.

I do wear glasses and am pulling my pants up as high as possible to make sure my white socks are proudly displayed. :)

I never use B or C, but if I did it would either be for a remote set of speakers in a room where there wasn't space for a system or if I had multiple sets of speakers that I lied and didn't want to hassle with changing them out often.

clueless reporting in....................

heck I have had all three a,b,c ouputs hooked to a rat shack speaker selector before - running 9 sets of speakers(at different times). WHy? Because I could.

pants too high and my glasses are not thick enough

My amp is so powerful I use the B output hooked directly to a tank to run the hot water for my house.

"I don't have any B outputs, I wear thick glasses and have my pants pulled up really high."

That would be me!
Only have to pull one connector to change to different speakers though. :)

Can't find a check box for "None of the above". I only ever used the "B" terminals to experiment with a Dynaco-style derived third rear channel (connecting a third speaker's cable to both B-channel "+" terminals).
Tom

Yes! The old derived phase differential rear speaker setup. I ran a system like that for many years. It's great to see another "Dynaquad" believer!:yes:

I tried to run two sets of speakers thru the "A" & "B" outputs, as the two pairs of speakers sounded better together than either pair by itself. My Nak didn't have the power to do it, however, and now I have a pair of tweeters to replace! After that, it's going to be time to stack amps...

Used to have A and B. Now just have A on my Onkyo as I upgraded to Furutech binding posts that are worth 1/2 the amp it's self. I have no need for a second output.

I use the B-outputs for connecting my subwoofer.
So I can switch from 2.0 (A) to 2.1 (A+B). where as 0.1 (B) ist not an option :p:

Before I went with my HT setup, I was using a Lafayette LR-5555A and ran two pairs of speakers simultaneously (set of Epicure EPI 150's and a smallish set of JBLs for some extra midrange). They worked happily together and sounded very nice. Receiver also has a 'C' setting for a set of speakers I had in an adjoining bedroom.

That all went to heck when I added my Klipsch Kg4's. For stereo listening, it's all I need! :D
-

my Kenwood has A, B & C. A are the living room KLH 24s, and B powers a pair of modified Minimus 7s in the next room. I often turn both on and crank it a little so there is seamless sound as I go from room to room

Excuse my ignorance, but I always thought that it was risky to run two or three pairs of speakers at the same time. Don't know why I thought this, since there's always an option for A+B. Someone set me straight; I'd like to use both outputs without worrying about it.

Check your owners manual and confirm being able to run A+B outputs. Typically if your system will not allow it , it simply will not output until you open one side.
In the case of the older Pioneers that were setup for A+B+C, if you tried the third (C) option everything went silent until you picked one to turn off.
I run A+B all the time and have done so for decades with no negative results with my SX1250.

Thanks for the info, pocket. I noticed on the back of my Yamaha M60 theres a chart the gives what is safe and what isnt. Can't try anything yet anyway because only the "B" outputs are operational at the moment. Gives me an incentive to fix the others.

Back
Top Bottom