The use of "B" speaker outputs. Why do you do it?

Why do you use B speaker outputs

• Total voters
Hi
Last time I used them I was using a big Mitsubishi dc ? something with 100 real watts per chan to drive a pair of KLH 5's and a pair of ESS's. The ones with the woofer and passive radiator on the back and the AMT on the top. By themselves each speaker was just a tiny bit lacking but combined they were awesome and I could always pick just one for a different sound. It worked great and was possibly the best sounding setup I ever had.
Now I don't use the B set on my Onkyo surround but I intend to put cables on it just so I can audition speakers or test them without having to disconnect and reconnect my NHT's to do it.

I used to use the B output but then I disconnected the B speakers because I needed speakers for another tuner but I miss having the 2 front and 2 back speakers I had. The front have great Bass (They're the ones I use now) and the back ones really brought out the Treble (on another stereo).

I run one pair in the main listening room and another in my computer room, I came across this thread as I am now concerned that running 4, 8 ohm speakers together will drop the impedance for the amp to 2 ohms. From what I can gather running 2, 8 ohm speakers from the A out will drop the impedance to 4 ohms, therefore it seems logical that running a second pair from the B out will drop it to 2 ohms.

My amp is rated for 4 - 16 ohms. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated

'B outputs'? :D

DSCF4389.jpg

---

I run one pair in the main listening room and another in my computer room, I came across this thread as I am now concerned that running 4, 8 ohm speakers together will drop the impedance for the amp to 2 ohms. From what I can gather running 2, 8 ohm speakers from the A out will drop the impedance to 4 ohms, therefore it seems logical that running a second pair from the B out will drop it to 2 ohms.

My amp is rated for 4 - 16 ohms. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated

Some parallel series info (do mind it's rated ohmage we're talking about, ohmage actually 'swings')
http://www.termpro.com/articles/spkrz.html

The only permanent setup with an A/B and two pairs of speakers I have is in the workshop, where B is for the speakers in the office. At home, I use it occasionally for comparing speakers.

Yes, but only with one setup...

I've configured my Pioneer SX-253R to drive a total of four speakers using the A and B outputs. Other than that, everything else is a two-speaker only setup. It works very well for that particular listening room (my computer room). People have actually complimented me on the way it sounds.

The thought of checking both that choice and the "I don't have any B outputs, I wear thick glasses and have my pants pulled up really high." was almost too much to resist. I might be somewhat guilty of that last one about the pants. :D In the end, though, honesty won out.

I don't have b outputs... alternatively, I can set up a pair of speakers in paralell on the 4 ohm tap? dunnow... i'd need four speakers to do that, and my parents won't have me owning more than -a- pair of speakers

I use both A and B outputs at the same time. I use them in a "stacked" setup consisting of two speakers on the desk and two on the floor next to the desk.

I also use both A and B outputs at the same time. I use them in a "stacked" setup atop each other with the bottom pair on stands and the other atop the bottom pair.I find my Bozaks work well this way at least for me:)

For my Kenwood Receiver I use the B Speakers because that is the one I realized I was wiring up my Panasonic Speakers to XD

For my Technics SA-400 I usually use the B speakers [Called Remote] when I am using another pair on the system.

Interesting: there appears to be a serious psychological issue with some of the folks on this board who classify themselves as "stackers". I haven't seen that in the media. I hope there's help for you. Of course, I used to do it, you know, when I was younger, but I outgrew it.

Besides, um, I can't afford a second pair. Sigh. I'd love a pair of JBL L100's laying sideways one atop the other. Do you think I need help?

Turns out I use A for my little cheap-a$$ Polk R150's, and the B output goes to a little 90's era Boston Acoustics passive sub. The sub has a low pass built into it, and the Polks naturally trail off somewhere in the same region, being unable to produce anything that resembles bass. The match seems good, and they sound surprisingly decent.

Now have to go Google "stackers anonymous" and see about a meeting. I feel it coming on...

The only amp where I use the B outputs, is my trusty old SA-510 integrated. At one time, when I didn't know better, I had some speaker cables with hard pin terminals, that I used in the A spring terminals. As a result, the spring clips on the A terminals don't close all the way any longer. As a result, I use the B outputs instead of the As.

In my living room system, where I use two pairs of speakers, I use one amp for each pair of speakers. I guess that puts me in the "excuse for a second amp" category.

I also use the C outputs on my Akai AA-920. I can only run 2 sets of speakers at a time, but it's quite a flexible arrangement. My NAD 2240 is also hooked up to the same pre-amp, so is that the D output?

Listening modes:
  • Living room speakers powered by the NAD (D)
  • Near field monitors at my desk between the living room and kitchen. (C)
  • Overall background music when cooking, or just doing stuff, with the living room, kitchen and bedroom speakers (A,B,D)

This doesn't include a separate dedicated bedroom system, of course. :D

Last edited:
this may sound stupid but I'm using my "B Outputs" for a Passive Subwoofer lol!
It works actually =P

Then I have Yorx S-18A connected to the "A Output"

Boston Acoustics A-150 and Epi-100s stacked to listen

I have just stacked these 2 pairs. Very,very similar in sound reproduction. The Epicures of course have the killer tweeter, but lack the dimension that the BA 3 way speakers put out(but not by much). It took me just a little bit to get used to the 3 way sound, with a sort of layering of sounds. But now I am beginning to really enjoy the natural bass sound from the Boston Acoustics. I really think that these speakers would spice up with a tube amp of some sort. Anyway, one thing at a time.

Sometimes I use them for literal "A - B" speaker comparisons. Occasionally I'm foolishly optimistic (foolishly because it's never the case) that the channel that is out is because of the speaker selector.

I used to stack a pair of Sony 3-ways with Cerwin Vegas on top. Ah, the high school days...

Now I have a near-field set of bookshelfs on the A terminals, and another set just a few feet away set up around my listening chair on the B terminals.

I never run them at the same time, because they are completely different efficiency-wise, so one pair isn't heard.

I'm thinking about, with a different setup, running both terminals into my Infinity RS4s, to make them "bi-wired" so they get more power. Is that a completely foolish idea? Or would the impedance be like .5Ohms at that point?

None of the above...

Have A, B, and C speaker terminals and only use A

Back
Top Bottom