The Vactrola - a DIY RCM

The Vactrola Gets a New Vacuum Wand

OK,…. my VPI wand broke a couple of years ago. In that time, we bought a new house, and I've been working at an insane clip, working on the house.
Well, I finally got around to addressing this broken wand, and find that VPI has replaced it with an acetal/delrin wand, at a mighty proud price.
So, a few minute in the garage, and I find that the diameter of 1/2" copper plumbing pipe is a perfect snug fit. The thin-wall, type M, makes a good replacement.
CRITICAL EDIT NOTE: Make sure to file any cutting burrs down to or less than the outer diameter of the pipe. Any burr will make for too tight of a fit. When all cutting burrs are removed, its a perfect slip fit.
So I make some measures, and cut the pipe, and its vacuum channel. I file all burrs from the edges of the cut, and clean the pipe.
The channel is lined with the fuzzy side of adhesive backed velcro, and the end is plugged with a plastic end cap insert that is flush to the pipe.
The VPI spring is plenty strong to handle the copper pipe replacement wand.
No more broken acrylic wand.

DSCN1798.jpg

DSCN1799.jpg

DSCN1800.jpg

DSCN1801.jpg

Last edited:
That looks so cool,and smart too. I just have to ask (I have a VPI too) how did the wand break? I know I need to steal your idea and make up a 45 and 10 inch ones for my machine.

The wand began to develop cracks, internal to the plastic. Its just something that is inherent to the clear plastic. It slowly broke apart, and then one day, snapped off, while not even being used. I suspect that alcohol wasn't friendly to it.
Mine isn't the only one to do this, so I thought I'd post my fix.

regarding different size tubes (45/78): I used to use velcro bands wrapped around the vac. tube to cover the excess channel length difference. I don't have many 45's, but do have a ton of 78's. This worked great for the 10" 78's

Yes, I have heard of others breaking and I just scratch my head and wonder how it happens. I really only use alcohol on the most problem children. Maybe 2 out of a hundred cleanings. I suspect you are right,and why none of mine show any signs of problems. I have one Delrin wand and 4 regular wands.

Back
Top Bottom