The Venture Brothers

Eric H

Addicted Member
I'm late to the party on this one but wow!

This animated spoof of Johnny Quest (and other 60's Hanna Barbera-esque shows) is just great, the Artwork, Voice talent and characters are incredible.

It's centered around Dr Venture, his two dimwitted sons Hank and Dean and their Brick S**thouse of a bodyguard Brock Sampson.

It's available on Netflix. Highly recommended if you like grown up cartoons. :thmbsp::thmbsp:

theventurebros-1.jpg

Back when I had cable and watched Adult Swim this was one of my favs.
In several episodes Johnny Quest (painkiller addicted) makes guest appearances and theirs also one where Brock refers to "...my old freind 'Race' Bannon" and pulls him from the wreckage of the Quest rocket-jet.
Venture Bros is awesomer than hell!!

Last edited:
I've never watched the show, but I have a soundtrack CD. I'm a long-time fan of JG "Foetus" Thirlwell's music.

Loved the Venture Brothers. Excellent spoof on many '60s into mid '70s "action" animated serials.

They pack so many references into this show, not all of them are Cartoon related, like Brock's former mentor Gen. Hunter Gathers, Obviously modeled on Hunter S Thompson.

It's an extremely well-written comedy/adventure/drama series that's ultra-hip and strewn with pop-culture references that move, rather than detract from the plot. The characters are well-defined and compelling and the lines between good and evil can blur, something you don't see in a lot of shows. The animation has gotten better with each season, although the time it takes them to get a new season out can be anywhere from a year to four years. Seasons 6 & 7 shifted the setting from Colorado to NYC, and unlike other series, you know that the writers and artists are based here; it's practically a love letter to New York. I'm hooked.

It's an extremely well-written comedy/adventure/drama series that's ultra-hip and strewn with pop-culture references that move, rather than detract from the plot. The characters are well-defined and compelling and the lines between good and evil can blur, something you don't see in a lot of shows. The animation has gotten better with each season, although the time it takes them to get a new season out can be anywhere from a year to four years. Seasons 6 & 7 shifted the setting from Colorado to NYC, and unlike other series, you know that the writers and artists are based here; it's practically a love letter to New York. I'm hooked.

Hey Bog, it's good to see ya posting @ the AK boards again.

-M

P.S. and to stay on topic, nice observation re: Venture Bros.

Back
Top Bottom