the vinyl boom is over

I don't see that at all. In fact, I see just the opposite. QRP has made huge investments in locating, purchasing, and refurbishing vintage presses. Sony is back in the vinyl business after a few decades. The stores around here are jam packed and vinyl is the most popular section. I've bought hundreds and hundreds of new releases in the last ten years with only very few let downs (Brandi Carlile's latest record and a recent My Morning Jacket purchase for example - both just dull recordings in every sense).

Personally, I don't really care much about trends, hipsters, the latest thing, etc. I bought my first record in the '70s and never stopped buying them. Being into vinyl today is like being into horsepower today (which I am as well). There has never been a better time.

Personally, I don't really care much about trends, hipsters, the latest thing, etc. I bought my first record in the '70s and never stopped buying them. Being into vinyl today is like being into horsepower today (which I am as well). There has never been a better time.

How are vinyl and horsepower related?

of course i is, people get tired of getting extremely warped records that sound as shrill as cd's. . I noticed this immediately when listening to recent vinyl re issues of albums,

Since we're generalizing....

I find the above experience comes from the lack of experience of buying new records.

1)The buyer buys the title and not caring where it came from.
2)They shop places like Amazon, who give you no info on the actual record your buying.
3)They buy the lowest cost new record of the title they can find.
4)Their sample pool is very small buying new records, due to the above experience not being very good at all.

Correct the shopping behavior and the experience in buying new records will be a joy.
1)Not all records are the same just because they have the same title.
2)Learn what your buying, gather info on how many of the same titles are out at the same time, there could be 3-4.
3)Learn who's doing the best work. label, mastering lab, and pressing plants.
4) Learn you get what you pay for.

Example of same title
Import from Czech Republic......$21.00
Import from the UK, Back to Black.....$25.00
Import from Germany, Pressed at Pallas....$40.00
US- Analogue Productions 33 RPM Pressed at QRP....$39.00
US- Analogue Productions 45 RPM 2Lp Pressed at QRP $50.00

Out of all those I would pick the three most expensive for pressing quality and sound quality. However places that don't give you info like who master the record, what the source was for the record or where it was pressed, will most likely be places like Amazon, and most likely you'll get something like
Import from the UK, Back to Black.....$24.00
But you wont know anything till you get the record in your hands and look up the bar codes and catalogue number.

Then you'll post on line "how come ALL new records Sux:idea:

Last edited:
Why are CD's and downloads the way to go? It's nice to have options. When I got my first lap-top in 2001, I copied my CD collection onto the hard-drive. After about a year or so, the hard-drive crashed and I lost all of that time and effort. CD players are finicky, I have about 4 or 5 that work when they want to. On the other hand, I have an AR XA turntable that is 50 years old and works perfectly. I play records on it that I bought when I was a teenager in the 1970's. Vinyl may not be mainstream but it is a medium that is viable and I doubt it will ever go away entirely.

You need to learn some things from world of business computing - RAID, backups etc. Then single disk failure won't destroy your records collection in an instant. And why would someone buy vinyl edition of album that was recorded and mastered digitally to begin with? And this is 99% of new records.

You need to learn some things from world of business computing - RAID, backups etc. Then single disk failure won't destroy your records collection in an instant. And why would someone buy vinyl edition of album that was recorded and mastered digitally to begin with? And this is 99% of new records.

Because I have a turntable that is less hassle and much more reliable than any other medium.
...and... I like the sound of a digitally recorded piece of music on vinyl spinning on my turntable with a conical stylus. :)

Since we're generalizing....

I find the above experience comes from the lack of experience of buying new records.

1)The buyer buys the title and not caring where it came from.
2)They shop places like Amazon, who give you no info on the actual record your buying.
3)They buy the lowest cost new record of the title they can find.
4)Their sample pool is very small buying new records, due to the above experience not being very good at all.

Correct the shopping behavior and the experience in buying new records will be a joy.
1)Not all records are the same just because they have the same title.
2)Learn what your buying, gather info on how many of the same titles are out at the same time, there could be 3-4.
3)Learn who's doing the best work. label, mastering lab, and pressing plants.
4) Learn you get what you pay for.

Example of same title
Import from the UK, Back to Black.....$25.00
Import from Germany, Pressed at Pallas....$40.00
US- Analogue Productions 33 RPM Pressed at QRP....$39.00
US- Analogue Productions 45 RPM 2Lp Pressed at QRP $50.00

Out of all those I would pick the three most expensive for pressing quality and sound quality. However places that don't give you info like who master the record, what the source was for the record or where it was pressed, will most likely be places like Amazon, and most likely you'll get something like
Import from the UK, Back to Black.....$24.00
But you wont now anything till you get the record in your hands and look up the bar codes and catalogue number.

Then you'll post on line "how come ALL new records Sux:idea:

You perfectly demonstrated how things get complicated quickly in analog world. In digital world record is just a file, like any other files you download from web site or copy from disk to disk. It does not matter how long was distribution chain, or where you got it from - it all exactly the same.

You perfectly demonstrated how things get complicated quickly in analog world. In digital world record is just a file, like any other files you download from web site or copy from disk to disk. It does not matter how long was distribution chain, or where you got it from - it all exactly the same.

...but that's the fun of vinyl...;)

Well Hey! Good to meet another local enthusiast. I have been buying used records at the exchange for over 20 years now, and have never had a problem. They won't buy a used record that has a scratch on it or won't play right(believe me, I've tried). I prefer to buy my used records from them because I know they're all in great condition. I haven't been to the one on Broadway, but will definitely check it out. Another good resource I found recently is an antique store in a strip mall at State and Collister...but you have to look at the records closely...like at a thrift store. A lot of them aren't that great. They have Some girls by the Stones there, but it has a scratch on it. Nothing worse than finding an album you want with a ****ing scratch on it!
I have been to the antique mall. There is some good stuff there but a bit pricey. Finally found a James Gang record there I have been looking for, but as you say one scratch ruins the day.

Well Hey! Good to meet another local enthusiast. I have been buying used records at the exchange for over 20 years now, and have never had a problem. They won't buy a used record that has a scratch on it or won't play right(believe me, I've tried). I prefer to buy my used records from them because I know they're all in great condition. I haven't been to the one on Broadway, but will definitely check it out. Another good resource I found recently is an antique store in a strip mall at State and Collister...but you have to look at the records closely...like at a thrift store. A lot of them aren't that great. They have Some girls by the Stones there, but it has a scratch on it. Nothing worse than finding an album you want with a ****ing scratch on it!
LOL. I just thought that I have that album Some Girls so just went and checked the collection. There it was still sealed. One of the many I have bought and never opened.

Most likely Tony's thinking is.

Cars and records have been following the same path in resent years, and that path hasn't changed in 70 years. Follow the baby boomers!!! We are the ones that have generated the market for many many years. Performance and cool cars in the 60s 70s as well as audio components and the biggest record sales ever was because of baby boomers. Then it was houses and sending the kids to collage. From around 2000 we have been getting more and more empty nesters spending money on themselves again.

In the early 2000s baby boomers started to buy the mussel cars back and restore mod them. Really this was the first time in vintage cars you could do a build and actually sell it for more than you built it for. Some cars where going up so fast you didn't need to do anything to them and the price went up $2000.00 or more a year.

Well the auto industry was seeing this and here is when they started to get involved in retro design and high horse power new cars. Well need less to say it was a hit and still is today, we're not dead yet in other words.

The same thing has been going on with vintage audio, and records and really over the same time. Us old farts want to have fun and will pay for it, and it's so great we have many options with new and old all geared right at what the baby boomer want.

Last edited:

One other thing I'd like to relate to. Baby boomers never really liked what our parents had, some of what we like of theirs today is really just for memories of our life.

However our music and cars are in high demand and has stood the test of time with Generation X, millennials, Generation Z,Generation Y. We've really done them a favor starting these things in the fist place. Then 40-50 years later restoring and push new manufacturing for the same goods. The following generations as they get older will have plenty of record, audio and cars to play with.

That's boring

But it's also not true, the digital realm has a ton of variation as well.

One other thing I'd like to relate to. Baby boomers never really liked what our parents had, some of what we like of theirs today is really just for memories of our life.

However our music and cars are in high demand and has stood the test of time with Generation X, millennials, Generation Z,Generation Y. We've really done them a favor starting these things in the fist place. Then 40-50 years later restoring and push new manufacturing for the same goods. The following generations as they get older will have plenty of record, audio and cars to play with.
The following generations will be awash in old stereo equipment and vinyl records as us baby boomers start to die off.

Back
Top Bottom