the vinyl boom is over

All I know is I wish I knew the vinyl boom was over before I tried to tackle my first ever tonearm rewire today. Thorens TP-11... )*&HJLK^x:yikes::wtf:

Well... maybe. When you talk about it as an industry now compared to what it used to be, then yes. It's "ruined." Just ask any music executive. It's a good thing we as consumers could give two shits if the industry is ruined though right? :) The hobby will be alive and well 100 years from now.

It's not ruined for me. I enjoyed buying new and used records and 8-tracks in the 1970's. Used vinyl and cassettes in the 80's. New CD's in the 90's. Used CD's in the 2000's. New, used and reissued vinyl in the 2010's.

Yeah, but nobody EVER lost their record collection because their record player busted.

And nobody lost their CD collection if their player died. There are literally billions of CD players on this planet in their various forms, many times the small number of surviving or new TTs.

Compact disc is archival, with distributed storage across multiple volumes, each of which has essentially nothing to fail. Both Vinyl and CD are great archival media, it's just that vinyl is way more sensitive to damage than CD.

As for flash/HDD/SSD- it's a temporary storage medium and a complete waste of time in the long term, unless you have/own the original CD or Vinyl IMO. I love my NAS, but I know the internal HDD will fail one day and all will be lost. My Sysology RAID array with 5 HDDs will also die. It's just a convenient media server for now.

I would be willing to bet that in 70 years, I could find a functional CD player and a functional turntable/stylus, whereas I highly doubt any of today's HDD or SSDs will still be functional in that time. In other words, people will be continually moving their digital files from one storage device to another as they become obsolete. I'd rather be listening to my CDs or Vinyl, knowing I have the perfect combination of longevity and performance and value for money.

*OK, edit. I just realised it won't be me looking for a functional CD player in 70 years- it would be my son...

There are only so many times one can purchase the re-issues from the great artist and bands. For new bands and music, downloads and CD's are the way to go.

IMHO, there are few new bands worth buying vinyl for. I've been expanding and filling holes in my vinyl library with M-, NM, and EX vintage albums that blow CDs away.
I only buy a CD when an album was not pressed on vinyl.

just my dolla two forty-nine...

Last edited:
And nobody lost their CD collection if their player died. There are literally billions of CD players on this planet in their various forms, many times the small number of surviving or new TTs.

Compact disc is archival, with distributed storage across multiple volumes, each of which has essentially nothing to fail. Both Vinyl and CD are great archival media, it's just that vinyl is way more sensitive to damage than CD.

As for flash/HDD/SSD- it's a temporary storage medium and a complete waste of time in the long term, unless you have/own the original CD or Vinyl IMO. I love my NAS, but I know the internal HDD will fail one day and all will be lost. My Sysology RAID array with 5 HDDs will also die. It's just a convenient media server for now.

I would be willing to bet that in 70 years, I could find a functional CD player and a functional turntable/stylus, whereas I highly doubt any of today's HDD or SSDs will still be functional in that time. In other words, people will be continually moving their digital files from one storage device to another as they become obsolete. I'd rather be listening to my CDs or Vinyl, knowing I have the perfect combination of longevity and performance and value for money.

*OK, edit. I just realised it won't be me looking for a functional CD player in 70 years- it would be my son...

Big problem is, will there be players for CD in 70 years which work. Lasers often die or get too weak, and discontinued and unavailable. The best CD transports have been long discontinued. No lasers.

The market for new vinyl (not just the reissues that seem to be all that many AK members buy, based on this thread & others) has been hampered by production capacity and aging production infrastructure. New titles are often have their vinyl release delayed for several weeks past the scheduled release date (with CD and digital available on schedule) due to production issues. Other new titles hit the release date, but once the initial quantities sell out, it takes weeks/months before a second run for restock. With two companies now shipping brand new vinyl presses, it will be interesting to see how that impacts sales inventory (quantity and quality) and, in turn, sales.

To be honest, I have no issues with the quality of vinyl I've been purchasing lately, but I'm buying different titles than most of y'all.

I've found the best new (as in brand new albums) LPs to come from indie labels. Many of them rival my favorite AAA titles from the 70s.

Yeah, I guess most the vinyl I buy is from indie labels. Could be better quality control, could be smaller press runs, could be a combination of things.

I'm not convinced the new vinyl market will expand with the current generation. The hipsters that got the ball rolling are getting married and buying houses now. If I had to bet it will take the Geritol generation to keep it alive.

I'm 45 years old, got back into vinyl 2-3 years ago, got married recently for the first time and am currently shopping for my first home. Does that make me part of the hipster generation? :D

Also, I don't see myself buy fewer records only because I got married and am about to buy a house. If anything, I'll probably buy more because being married definitely has had a positive effect on my bank account. Not sure why, but I spent way more money as a bachelor. So I hope I have some money left over for vinyl in the future.

Oh, and what is Geritol? :music:

Today, in the middle of a Monday afternoon, I was at a local record store that recently moved to a location that is 3-4x times larger than they had previously. There were easily 6-7 customers, including me, and each had several new or used LPs in their hands. Not looking like the boom is over to me.

I bought my first record in 1964. Still buying today, thats 53 years. I am tired of browsing at market days , yard sales etc and being told " Oh, vinyl is all the rage you know"
Hope the boom IS over so I can browse in peace.

Do you have a beard? If so, then yes. If you have a beard and a tattoo, then absolutely yes. If you have a beard, tattoo and feel like everything is owed to you because once you broke out into a sweat yelling about something unfair, then you are a solid Gen Y hipster.

Hm, let's see. No beard. No tattoo. Not too great of a sense of entitlement (I like to think). I do ride a single-speed bike to work, though, ditched canned shaving gels for old-fashioned shave soaps and a brush, and I own a wind-up pocket watch. Oh, and recently I bought an old-fashioned fountain pen. Does that work? :)

Reactions: Rt8
Big problem is, will there be players for CD in 70 years which work. Lasers often die or get too weak, and discontinued and unavailable. The best CD transports have been long discontinued. No lasers.

I'm still willing to bet there will be plenty of functional CD players around in 7 decades, likely plenty of NIB units that will simply need a few loading belts, lubrication and a bunch of caps- the pool of machines is just so large, literally billions. I have a dozen or so unopened 27+ year old machines in storage myself and they rarely need anything other than belts and lube when I open up a 'new' one to play with.

Finding someone to grind and polish diamonds for cartridges could be a problem however, but I'm still willing to bet there will be plenty of usable cartridges in 7 decades. We have some 50 year old cartridges right now that have no visible wear under a high powered microscope, their suspension elastomer/rubber is still good and they sound great. I've had plenty of newer ones also collapse or lose their diamond tip too, so it will be the luck of the draw. :)

I figure, having a 100 or so cartridges and spare styli, 50+ or so turntables (a mix of belt and DD) should mean that down the track, my Dad's immense classical vinyl collection will be able to be enjoyed by me in my old age, and maybe someone else after I am gone.

I still reckon the 3D laser etched glass media that was mooted decades ago, would have been awesome.

I'm still willing to bet there will be plenty of functional CD players around in 7 decades, likely plenty of NIB units that will simply need a few loading belts, lubrication and a bunch of caps- the pool of machines is just so large, literally billions. I have a dozen or so unopened 27+ year old machines in storage myself and they rarely need anything other than belts and lube when I open up a 'new' one to play with.

Finding someone to grind and polish diamonds for cartridges could be a problem however, but I'm still willing to bet there will be plenty of usable cartridges in 7 decades. We have some 50 year old cartridges right now that have no visible wear under a high powered microscope, their suspension elastomer/rubber is still good and they sound great. I've had plenty of newer ones also collapse or lose their diamond tip too, so it will be the luck of the draw. :)

I figure, having a 100 or so cartridges and spare styli, 50+ or so turntables (a mix of belt and DD) should mean that down the track, my Dad's immense classical vinyl collection will be able to be enjoyed by me in my old age, and maybe someone else after I am gone.

I still reckon the 3D laser etched glass media that was mooted decades ago, would have been awesome.

In 7 decades from now all us AK members will be dead.

Most new pressings suck. That goes for a lot of the reissues and remasters from the 90s to present.

Several years ago I bought reissues of the first 5 Black Sabbath records. They all sound awesome. I also have several Blue Note reissues that sound great as well.

Back
Top Bottom