The VPI Traveler Has No Anti-Skating - Whats Your Opinion?

Jim Creek

Jazz, Wine, Electronics
In essence the VPI Web site says that the skating force on the arm towards the center varies. Plus the 10" tone arm on the Traveler minimizes the effect of skating due to its length.

It sounds like VPI believes that anti-skating is unnecessary.

What's YOUR opinion on all this?

It´s better to have an anti-skating force than not to have it, as it helps in tracking.
gusten

My VPI Scout has no anti skating other than the twist you put in the wire coming out of the arm.

It works well.

From VPI's site:

QUESTION- DO I REALLY NEED TO USE ANTI-SKATE

ANSWER- Most times NO! Some cartridge manufacturers are happier if you use anti-skate, such as Sound Smith's Peter Lederman, who believes in the sonic and mechanical advantages of it. At VPI we can hear it working, so we do not use it, and not just ours - we can hear them all working, as the center hole of the record is not dead center. This causes the anti-skate mechanism to pull and release the arm as it is doing its

Hmm. Now I'm tempted to go home, turn the anti-skate the '0' and see what happens.

I like long arms, as they don't have or need that feature. Better tracking through better geometry.

No anti skating on my 10" VPI arm (aside from the twist in the lead wire) and I love how it sounds - I'm OK with that.

I consider a well designed and functional antiskate mechanism to be essential. I would not be happy with the twist and tension of the tonearm wire as being 'good enough.'

That said, my needs probably far exceed the average guy who does nothing but spin LPs. I'm doing extensive transfer and restoration work on records that include damaged and worn 78s, vertical-cut discs, etc... On difficult records it's not unusual to have to fine-tune antiskate force to get proper playback. Even with pristine LPs, dialing in correct antiskate does make a difference.

Meh....some arms/carts need it more than others IMO.

On my Sansui it sounds noticeably more open when set to zero, but in this case channel balance requires some, so I adjust by ear till that balance sounds correct.

It's a compromise in my situation.

If channel balance is correct at zero antiskate, should be fine.

Just my view.

You just run VTF toward the upper end of recommended range to ensure the stylus stays in contact with the outer groove wall due to the resultant unequal effective wall-to-wall TF due to the skating force.

From VPI's site:

QUESTION- DO I REALLY NEED TO USE ANTI-SKATE

ANSWER- Most times NO! Some cartridge manufacturers are happier if you use anti-skate, such as Sound Smith's Peter Lederman, who believes in the sonic and mechanical advantages of it. At VPI we can hear it working, so we do not use it, and not just ours - we can hear them all working, as the center hole of the record is not dead center. This causes the anti-skate mechanism to pull and release the arm as it is doing its

And they is correct.............as long as the lateral balance of the arm is zero, or near zero, skating cannot happen. My carts don't like antiskate added anyway.

no antiskate on my PL-41, and it tracks better than the other 3 turntables I've owned. No doubt the long arm on the Pioneer might make anti-skate unnecessary.

I just gave my reply to the VPI sponsored forum about the cavalier attitude toward anti-skate. Records haven't really changed in 50 years, and the need for anti-skate from the middle to the end of the record is progressively required. The original anti-skate was a spring attached to a point behind the pivot point of the tonearm, a method Thorens still uses on their lower half of their models. It works, and is probably the easiest was to build anti-skate into the arm assembly. Rega type turntables use magnetic (opposing force) in the arm that kicks in during the last third of the record. The tried and true method is the weight system, but it puts force on the arm all of the time, which you don't want. An old method to make the weight work better was to use a longer wire/line that allows the weight to sit on the surface of the plinth until the arm reaches the mid point of its arc. The weight begins lifting until it is fully engaged. As you can see there are many ways to use anti-skate, but twisting the wire (VPI) is pure arrogance. They just don't wish to do what every top manufacture does to eliminate the skating problem

I notice no audible difference whether my anti skate dial is set to zero or the amount reccomended by my turntables instruction manual. That said, some cartriges might be more sensitive to skating artifacts than the brutish old Shure elipticals and conicals I use.

For some stupid reason, I have 9 turntables. Other than one circa i964, they all have anti-skate but I don't use it. I used to after getting a new turntable around 1969 which had it because I figured it must be of some benefit or else it wouldn't be there. Years later, it was pointed out to me that vintage "classic" turntables were without anti-skate. Maybe some modern cartridges can benefit or even depend on it but I have none of those - all my cartridges are old. So since I could never hear a difference between anti-skate applied or off, it has no significance for me.

Having said that, it did come in handy once when recording a mix tape. There was a skip in a track I wanted and cranking the anti-skate up to max put sufficient force on the stylus to push it through the skip and allow me to get that song recorded.

Back
Top Bottom