The White Album...Turntable

Just think, the next record resurgence is going to have much better record coverings, plastic outer covers and new inner sleeves, but the same old original cover and vinyl.
I pretty much look at my record collection as more of a care taker and preserving them. They will last past me and saved for the future if wanted.

Boomers generated a lot of stuff that will be around a long time.

I'm not saying blame anything.

Facts are facts though since after WWII, we had a population explosion ie: baby boomers. The biggest market booms are the ones that follow that generation. That's going to happen all the way to the grave. When we where young kids it was toys, teens it was records, audio and events, later teens and young adults it was the muscle car wars. Then it was housing, and a boom in US jobs and production, then it was sending our kids to collage with the income earned. Then it's empty nester time having fun, travel, remolding homes and buying things we used to have and nostalgia, back to the muscle car, records, audio and events.

The last 15 years the medical industry and everything related to it is booming and next will be Funeral industry.

In fact the DMV is wondering what to do with all the elderly still getting a license. This is going to be fun, the youth driving and texting and the elderly with bad eye sight and reflexes.
And then there's me, texting and driving with bad eyesight and reflexes. Heh, heh. Stay off the roads in Western PA if you know what's good for you.

And then there's me, texting and driving with bad eyesight and reflexes. Heh, heh. Stay off the roads in Western PA if you know what's good for you.
LOL

In fact we can look at the tech industry selling to boomers as a boom as well.

Let's look at the White Album turntable again. Did anyone notice it comes with a 2M White cartridge which appears to be a mono cartridge*. I don't know if one could use a different stylus from the 2M series and unstrap the cartridge channels to get a stereo presentation. Doubt it, too much fiddling. Since they are only making 1000 of these, I guess it is a table directed to a purpose.

Looking at the mono cartridges from Ortofon, the 2M has an SE White version that is a shibata stylus for mono and then some moving coils above that one, the Quintet and Cadenza and of course the SPUs.

* Since the cartridge is specific for this table...I just don't know what it is going to offer.

Let's look at the White Album turntable again. Did anyone notice it comes with a 2M White cartridge which appears to be a mono cartridge*. I don't know if one could use a different stylus from the 2M series and unstrap the cartridge channels to get a stereo presentation. Doubt it, too much fiddling. Since they are only making 1000 of these, I guess it is a table directed to a purpose.

Looking at the mono cartridges from Ortofon, the 2M has an SE White version that is a shibata stylus for mono and then some moving coils above that one, the Quintet and Cadenza and of course the SPUs.

* Since the cartridge is specific for this table...I just don't know what it is going to offer.

That's weird. I don't know that anyone would want to spend $1800 on TT that only plays in mono. I know the 2M Mono cart comes in white, but I wonder if this is just a white version of one of the other stereo Ortofon carts.

If it is a mono cartridge that would be very strange, since the Beatles Mono reissues seem to be going OOP. I'm gonna guess it's a regular old 2M Red (or 2M "Silver"), just a different color.

I find this thread funny because as soon as the word resurgence comes out the topic flips to hipsters.

The money driving a resurgence in record sales and needed equipment is from baby boomers. The youth is not buying gimmick Beetles tables and reissues after reissues of their albums. The youth is not buying special box sets of one album at the cost of $200 of an old artist. They are not buying entire catalog remastered box sets for $450 of old artist. This is all baby boomer driven as is all the recycled music repressed 9 ways to sunday.

To the contrary, the youth in the Chicago area, (at least those between 18-30), are buying up tons of LPs, especially the reissued stuff from Fleetwood Mac, Floyd, Zeppelin, Ramones and the rest of the heavy hitters.

But they seem to not be into having 48 different copies of "Rubber Soul".

That's weird. I don't know that anyone would want to spend $1800 on TT that only plays in mono. I know the 2M Mono cart comes in white, but I wonder if this is just a white version of one of the other stereo Ortofon carts.

Doesn't Ortofon make a special "2M Silver" cart for Pro-Ject? Might be that.

And if I'm gonna get pulled over, it's probably going to be a 25-year-old cop.
This line reminded me of getting pulled over this summer on my way to golfing by a young cop, (maybe late 20's. I'm 58) the cop said the reason he pulled me over is he couldn't see that I had my seat belt on. Well Duh, it's a 67 Belair and the only seat belt it's got is a lap belt and I was wearing it ;)

I'm a boomer (the last of them, born in '61) and when I go to Rainbow Records in Newark, Delaware (University of Delaware) it's a lot of kids with some oldsters mixed in.

Those tables would be totally cool in a Beatles-themed music room, but I have plenty of other ways to spend $1,800 on audio.

If it is a mono cartridge that would be very strange, since the Beatles Mono reissues seem to be going OOP. I'm gonna guess it's a regular old 2M Red (or 2M "Silver"), just a different color.
this turntable is released today along with white album reissue. and it is a 2m white as described on the product page with a whole white body specially for this turntable.
as for who is going to buy this limited edition turntable for $1800 with just an mono cartridge? i am sure 'hipsters' won't. at least not an OCD one who cant stand cartridge with different color.
maybe someone that is rich enough just to let it sit to play white album mono edition. while there are other systems in the house.

Those tables would be totally cool in a Beatles-themed music room, but I have plenty of other ways to spend $1,800 on audio.
But the yellow submarine is only $499 and comes with an equally unknown cartridge, an Ortofon "Sonar" concorde-style cartridge whatever that is.

this turntable is released today along with white album reissue. and it is a 2m white as described on the product page with a whole white body specially for this turntable.
as for who is going to buy this limited edition turntable for $1800 with just an mono cartridge? i am sure 'hipsters' won't. at least not an OCD one who cant stand cartridge with different color.
maybe someone that is rich enough just to let it sit to play white album mono edition. while there are other systems in the house.

The MSRPs for both turntables are too high, you ask me. The white one should be $500, the YS model should be $150. At least IMO. And I still wouldn't pay that much for either of them.

The MSRPs for both turntables are too high, you ask me. The white one should be $500, the YS model should be $150. At least IMO. And I still wouldn't pay that much for either of them.
That would be a blanket condemnation of a chunk of the pro-ject line as the White Album is based on a $1599 table supplied sans cartridge at that price. We all think new stuff is too high but since we are old dudes we expect a candy bar to be 10¢. I'm not going back to the nickel mars bars era.

project-beatles-yellowsub-turntable_1800x.jpg

Are we officially at silly yet ?

I wonder? What if you cover the bottom of it with dynamat? Put some spike feet on it? Fill the periscope with lead?

This line reminded me of getting pulled over this summer on my way to golfing by a young cop, (maybe late 20's. I'm 58) the cop said the reason he pulled me over is he couldn't see that I had my seat belt on. Well Duh, it's a 67 Belair and the only seat belt it's got is a lap belt and I was wearing it ;)
Try looking for seat belt violators yourself. I sure can't tell worth beans. Then tell me you were not driving distracted while looking for 'em. A 30-ish cop pulled me over after I got out of his way. He said seat-belt, but I believe that he was just suspicious of someone too damn polite for Española...

Back
Top Bottom