The worst piece of HiFi Equipment you've ever owned?

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews & Opinions' started by Inspector_Sw, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Snoober

Snoober Dysthymic

Conrad Johnson ET3 preamp. Ate 6922 tubes for breakfast, sounded artificial, and had a tipped up upper midrange with limited bass. It had a great soundstage, though. I struggled with the sound and tubes, more or less due to the huge amount it cost. Then it had those obnoxiously loud and clicky relays that activated every time the volume was changed! That, and I had to occasionally reboot it when the logic board would go bonkers (which it was apt to do every couple of weeks). Got rid of that $3000 piece of junk, and oh so relieved.

asilker likes this.
  2. Chrisxo55441

Chrisxo55441 AK Subscriber Subscriber

starting to think its my Yamaha CR 2020, went up in a cloud of smoke the first week i had it, got that fixed then the right channel started dropping out now the left went too :(

3. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Member

Soundstage LF500 subwoofer.

I still have it. It was my own fault. Zero research before buying it. 500 watts seemed powerful, 3x8" speakers seemed ample, even if 2 of them were passive.

Live and learn and don't believe the hype, I guess.

4. trinhsman

trinhsman Well-Known Member

One of the first Hitachi CD players made. Lasted about 13 months ( 50 hours play time). Hitachi refused to help in any way. Never bought or owned another piece of Garbachi gear again.

asilker likes this.
  5. Snoober

Snoober Dysthymic

Reading through the thread I was thinking the same thing!

6. MarZutra

MarZutra Super Member

No question... My Pioneer SA9900. The absolute biggest lump of schit I have ever owned. Not quite as schitty as my SAAB 9.3T but pretty fecking close to it....

7. dondoucette

dondoucette AK Subscriber Subscriber

Cambridge Audio NP30
    Useless, slow, buggy
    Made me look into building my own player based on the Raspberry Pi

8. Ken Mitchell

Ken Mitchell New Member

Soon after buying my first (and only, so far) house in 1986 I bought my first "hi-fi" system. Everything I knew about hi-fi was taught to me by the salesman who sold me a Harmon Kardon HK440vxi receiver, pair of Hafler 200 stand mount speakers, stands, an NAD 6340 cassette deck, and a Dual CS-503 turntable with Ortonfon OM5 cartridge. The cartridge was actually very good at telling me what a POS the turntable was, for the couple of hours it worked. They swapped it out for a new one, no charge. Within weeks there were parts underneath it, and it was no longer a semi-automatic TT. It may have had a narrow S:N ratio and high rumble, but at least it made some noise.

A year went by and I bought from the same guy an Onkyo C-700 CD player. It went back to the shop 3 times in 2 years. The 3rd time the repairman (a factory authorized Onkyo one) told me the parts were NLA, so I junked it and bought an HK CD7400. That worked for about 3 years and went dead so I just listened to FM, cassettes and LP's for years until I got a Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. I still have it, and it still works. The HK440xi went to my youngest son when I bought a Denon AVR1912 in 2012. He finally killed the HK in 2014 (he replaced it with an HK550vxi.) The NAD 6340 was junked in 2009 when the drive belt broke and replacing it didn't fix why it broke, the transport was just worn out and broke. The Hafler speakers are still in daily use by my niece and her husband, I'd replaced the tweeters with exact replacement Vifa in 2010.

Cliff Notes summary: Onkyo C-700, Dual CS-503 are the two worst pieces I ever owned.

9. Bob

Bob AK Subscriber Subscriber

I want to declare an all-time winner (think Nobel, Pulitzer, Darwin, Oscars) even though its been over 30 years
    since it burned me. And the only reason is that there is now a large-scale movement to revitalize the dang thing:

Garrard Zero-100C

snaps cantilevers off on arm liftoff at end of play. Lost so many ADC XLMs, M91EDs, and I see people buying these
    200+ grams of effective mass vinyl recutting monsters - totally eliminating inner and outer groove distortion,
    while cleaning everything - all in a single pass.

Wanna run one today?, buy a DJ cartridge that is known to track at over 5 grams, have a thick cantilever,
    BUT put three thin beads of Gorilla Glue along the cantilever to BRACE it against 1000ft-lbs of twisting motion.

Here's to Garrard's LAST turntable, and to its wedgie apocalypse on ADC - forcing them to keep revising the XLM
    until it, too, disappeared off the face of the earth by trying to fix snapping cantilevers...

asilker and Ken Mitchell like this.
  10. toy4runr85

toy4runr85 New Member

I have never understood the religion that is Bose surround systems... what absolute crap. Overpriced, ugly to look at, hard to use, but at least it HUGELY overprocesses and oversamples the unlistenable noise that emenates from the "speakers". I do love flipping vintage Bose, people will pay up for them. But you won't find any Bose either in my family room or living room. Way back in the day, I bought a 4.1 system at a garage sale new in box for super cheap now I understand why they were dumping it. Just like Sony, if you tell people it's great enough they'll believe it. Don't like that stuff either (unless I'm flipping vintage Walkmans or Playstations on eBay, then I love them!).

11. 2channel*

2channel* Well-Known Member

Bose Acoustimass 5. My wife made me put my Boston Acoustics T-830s into storage after she redecorated the family room in favor of less conspicuous speakers. I made a bad choice.
    I second those who have said this is a great thread. I was actually thinking of buying a McIntosh amp on Ebay without ever auditioning one due to the unanimous 5 star reviews. Also surprised at Conrad Johnson.

toy4runr85 likes this.
  12. toy4runr85

toy4runr85 New Member

"vinyl recutting monsters" LOL... so I guess I should steer clear of these.

13. Rob84

Rob84 Well-Known Member

Onkyo M-282 Amplifier. Had no bass extension or depth- sounded like an AM transistor radio-thin, flat. Very weak unit. I sold it very quickly.

Back in the mid-80s, my Dad purchased a Fisher stereo system complete with speakers, a turntable and rack, He was so proud of it but it sounded so bad, I did not have the heart to tell him so. One day when he was not home, I checked all the connections and made sure the speakers were in phase. No matter what, the system sounded like the speakers were submerged underwater. I think he still has it but he does not listen to it any more.

14. Snoober

Snoober Dysthymic

Lol. I was surprised about Conrad Johnson myself. It's much worse when big money is involved in finding out the hard way. There are a lot of people who love the preamp I had but it just wasn't for me.

15. SiliconTi

SiliconTi AK Subscriber Subscriber

Technics SLP-2 CD player, circa 1985 or so. Went through three of them until I bought a Pioneer PDM-6 cart machine. That is still alive.

16. 50nstillhifi

50nstillhifi Well-Known Member

Akai integrated amplifier..... :no: Shivers my spine just recalling it!

17. freQ(*)Oddio

freQ(*)Oddio Riding Eternal Tracks on a Hot Wired Train . Subscriber

I was building my dream of a 70s all sansui system once, except for a hard to find quality sansui cd player ,so a early 80s plastic sansui labeled cd player was the only one i could find , what a pos, signal strength was very quiet, and song speed was like a worn belt on a tape deck. , maybee it was just tired but i put my phillips player back in real quick like.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  18. freQ(*)Oddio

freQ(*)Oddio Riding Eternal Tracks on a Hot Wired Train . Subscriber

oh yes and a new garrard equalizer from service merchandise that had a setting for slider lights to flash green and red , back and forth across the front haha wow that was prob 30 years ago.

19. Talk_Louder

Talk_Louder Member

Denon 777 multiple disc CD deck. Horrible to load, crappy controls, bad sound, and died in less than a year. Still have it on a shelf in my garage collecting dust. It collects dust quite well!

20. johnkent77

johnkent77 New Member

Not saying they're complete sh*t, but the polk LSi9 speakers I had were pretty poor performers considering what I paid for them new. They were good for movies i guess with the entire LSi system hooked up.

When i switched them out with dynaudio focus 110s i instantly realized what audiophile equipment sounds like. I sold my focus 110s and bought some midrange paradigms - big mistake. I'm going back to Dynaudio for life.