The "Wow that sounds really cool on my system" thread

This is really great stuff guys. Wow. I have heard more "new to me" music from so many different genres and styles today than the last, pffff, whenever...

Lets keep it in the spirit of saying a sentence or two to each song posted.
It should be a thread of unique and cool "sonic experiences" that have something special that really sets them apart from other music / songs. :)

Keep them coming!

:rockon:

Actually this is not audiophile approved. But with a set of JBL studio monitors and 300 WPC on tap, this song sounds far better than it has a right to. And it has a raw energy that is compelling. Takes a bit to get going, but the peak it moves to in the middle of the song is compelling and cannot be ignored. And probably should be listened at volumes meant to irritate the neighbors.

Regards
Mister Pig
been a fan since forever
saw the guess who way back when
then saw burton last year
and randy this year

burton can still belt em out and his flute is still awesome
randy put on a great show ... but he cant sing anymore :(

thomas dolby
aliens ate my buick
the whole thing sounds awesome and would make a great system test album

you tube blocks one of the best tunes so here's the 12" single

check the credits

Piano, Vocals – Thomas Dolby / Vocals – Debra Barsha, George Clinton, Jessica Cleaves, Lene Lovich / Horns – The Brecker Bros / Clarinet – Ed Johnson / Bass – Rodney "Skeet" Curtis* / Drums – Dennis Chambers.

This here must be the smoothest sound / recording I have ever heard in my life. Thank you.

Great, I figured there was someone out there that hadn't heard it, and who would appreciate it. Your reaction was similar to my own the first time I ever heard it, in 1980 - it was released in 1964. I was a Service Advisor at a huge automobile dealership (multiple lines, including DeLorean, fun). There were four of us, taking in 120 vehicles per day - busy and stressful. One of the other three was a grey-haired, soft-spoken gentleman named George, whose wife had passed on some years previously - single, and quite the ladies' man.

We were talking about women one day, and I was digging a little deeper into jazz at the time. Had been surprised to find that many young ladies thought my choice of music was cool, since rock, or country, was their usual fare. [One young lady, upon hearing the Modern Jazz Quartet, remarked, "Oh, I love classical music."]

"Well, if they like [various jazz artists under discussion] then you should get a copy of Stan Getz's Girl from Ipanema - it is smooth as silk and really sets a nice vibe."

I didn't forget, but I didn't acquire it quickly. A few months later, I bought the LP, and found out why it is such a classic. So it was brought to you and me - and several ladies - by the distinguished and admirable, George.

Thanks, George.

This one speaks to me... Maybe it's the tiny horses hauling the fat people. That whistling you hear is one of two sounds he is creating in his throat at the same time. Give this a minute and fifteen seconds before you move on.

Are you kidding me? How cool. This is very interesting music! Thanks!

Great, I figured there was someone out there that hadn't heard it, and who would appreciate it. Your reaction was similar to my own the first time I ever heard it, in 1980 - it was released in 1964. I was a Service Advisor at a huge automobile dealership (multiple lines, including DeLorean, fun). There were four of us, taking in 120 vehicles per day - busy and stressful. One of the other three was a grey-haired, soft-spoken gentleman named George, whose wife had passed on some years previously - single, and quite the ladies' man.

We were talking about women one day, and I was digging a little deeper into jazz at the time. Had been surprised to find that many young ladies thought my choice of music was cool, since rock, or country, was their usual fare. [One young lady, upon hearing the Modern Jazz Quartet, remarked, "Oh, I love classical music."]

"Well, if they like [various jazz artists under discussion] then you should get a copy of Stan Getz's Girl from Ipanema - it is smooth as silk and really sets a nice vibe."

I didn't forget, but I didn't acquire it quickly. A few months later, I bought the LP, and found out why it is such a classic. So it was brought to you and me - and several ladies - by the distinguished and admirable, George.

Thanks, George.

The "vibe" is very true. Can't put it in words. I was playing a bunch of these tracks and then those 30 minutes started. I had the urge to sit back, relax, and float away. Thats what I did.

Its part music, part the laid back and realistic-toned recording - no artificial highs and effects, a simple but awesome recording.

Thanks George!

Have to bring in some "rap" to this mix. Inspired by the other thread about pop music. There IS good rap. With meaning and message! Newer stuff too, but this is a nice intro to "rap".

Well recorded, melodic rap. Who woulda thought!?

Stuff from my youth: I like the recording, well the entire song. Quite relaxed.

And of course, everyone must know this one. The story makes the song.

Last edited:
If drums, guitars and rock and roll is more your thing:

This entire 1999 album is great. Well recorded drums, great flow, a mix of slow and melodic and a bit of screaming. A long drive ahead of you? This could be the soundtrack.

Much more modern: 2015 - Quite interesting the old school elements mixed with effects and sprinkled lightly with electronic sounds

Back
Top Bottom