45 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_20170714_110953.jpg
    IMG_20170714_110953.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20170714_114058.jpg
    IMG_20170714_114058.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 133
Dang:oops:

Is there an option for strapped to a pallet and lift gate shipping.
Stuff like that is biggest fear in online ordering.

Bummer, indeed. The seller seems to be stepping up and taking care of it. FedEx did the packaging and the box arrived with minimal exterior damage, so I'm guessing the damage happened during packaging.

The FedEx guy who packaged it must have been new or something. He bubble wrapped the amp three times and put it in a 24x24x24 box with a ton, and I mean a ton, of paper packaging. He then took the 24x24x24 box and put it inside a 30x30x30 box with another ton of paper packaging. It must have cost a fortune to ship. Total package weight was 75 lbs. FedEx calculator says ground shipping would have been $293!

The amp is functional. I've been listening to it on my Aerial's and it's pretty impressive on these difficult to drive speakers. As an integrated, it's very likely the best compromise to a full blown separates system that I've heard...and that's exactly what I was looking for. Too bad this one got banged up.

What is your experience about the a-s2100 temperature after playing music for an hour or more ?
My a-s2100 feels really hot when touching the top cover!
(230volt Europe modell)

//Roland

Wow - I'm sitting here listening to my S801 and that sure 2100 looks great. VU meters! Any comparisons you can give us between the 2 amps?

What is your experience about the a-s2100 temperature after playing music for an hour or more ?
My a-s2100 feels really hot when touching the top cover!
(230volt Europe modell)

//Roland

I've found the top cover temperature to vary with volume. If listening at normal levels, it's warms up slowly and will stay warm to the touch. If listening continuously at louder levels, I find it'll get hot, but not to the point where I can't put my hand on it and leave it there. In other words, hot, but not alarmingly hot. My speakers (Aerial Acoustics 10T) can give an amp a pretty good workout, but the Yamaha handles them pretty well. The Yamaha barely breaks a sweat with my Tekton Lore's. What speakers are you running?

Wow - I'm sitting here listening to my S801 and that sure 2100 looks great. VU meters! Any comparisons you can give us between the 2 amps?

I need some more listening time directly comparing the two. My 801 has been mostly a back up/secondary system component, so it hasn't spent much time with the 10T's. What I have noticed is that with the 2100 there's more weight to the music. Bass is stronger and the midrange is richer. In comparison, the 801 has a thinner sound and less bass punch. I would also describe it as a little more lively and less fluid than the 2100. Bass on the 801 doesn't start filling in until the volume is turned up. At consistently louder volumes, the top cover will get pretty hot pretty quickly...hotter than the 2100. I know it's not meant to drive speakers like the 10T's, but it's done an admirable job when standing in for other amps.

I'll try to get some more listening time comparing the two before the 2100 is sent back.

I mostly listen at late nights so quite low volume levels and it's not that i cant hold my hand on it for some time,but still hotter than what feels good/right.
My speakers are XTZ 99:26 mk2 marked 4-8 Ohm.
Is the 2100 a class a amp? if not,can it be normal that it get this hot without stressing it at all..?
Before the 2100 i had a a-s500 wich was a good amp but of course not comparable to the 2100. But the temperature produced was not near the 2100.

//Roland

I've found the top cover temperature to vary with volume. If listening at normal levels, it's warms up slowly and will stay warm to the touch. If listening continuously at louder levels, I find it'll get hot, but not to the point where I can't put my hand on it and leave it there. In other words, hot, but not alarmingly hot. My speakers (Aerial Acoustics 10T) can give an amp a pretty good workout, but the Yamaha handles them pretty well. The Yamaha barely breaks a sweat with my Tekton Lore's. What speakers are you running?

I need some more listening time directly comparing the two. My 801 has been mostly a back up/secondary system component, so it hasn't spent much time with the 10T's. What I have noticed is that with the 2100 there's more weight to the music. Bass is stronger and the midrange is richer. In comparison, the 801 has a thinner sound and less bass punch. I would also describe it as a little more lively and less fluid than the 2100. Bass on the 801 doesn't start filling in until the volume is turned up. At consistently louder volumes, the top cover will get pretty hot pretty quickly...hotter than the 2100. I know it's not meant to drive speakers like the 10T's, but it's done an admirable job when standing in for other amps.

I'll try to get some more listening time comparing the two before the 2100 is sent back.

Matt, I'm running Cerwin-Vega VS-120's and a pair of EPI M100's that I'm in the process of fixing up. OF course the CW's get LOUD. Maybe because I'm coming from lo-fi gear, but the bass on the CWs seems pretty awesome through the 801. I look forward to your reviews, thanks.

I mostly listen at late nights so quite low volume levels and it's not that i cant hold my hand on it for some time,but still hotter than what feels good/right.
Is the 2100 a class a amp? if not,can it be normal that it get this hot without stressing it at all..?
Before the 2100 i had a a-s500 wich was a good amp but of course not comparable to the 2100. But the temperature produced was not near the 2100.

//Roland

Roland, man I can't believe the 2100 is that much better; I need to find a place to demo one!

//Roland
I don't believe the 2100 runs in class A at all. I've had mine on all evening, about 4 hours straight now, at very low volume. The top cover is hot, especially over the capacitor bank (center/rear), but, again, not so hot that I can't hold my hand there. It is hotter than I would expect for such low volume. Wish I had one of those infrared thermometers and I could tell you just how hot it is.

Matt, I'm running Cerwin-Vega VS-120's and a pair of EPI M100's that I'm in the process of fixing up. OF course the CW's get LOUD. Maybe because I'm coming from lo-fi gear, but the bass on the CWs seems pretty awesome through the 801. I look forward to your reviews, thanks.

Roland, man I can't believe the 2100 is that much better; I need to find a place to demo one!
The 801 is certainly capable of producing great bass when matched with the right speaker. When paired with my old ADS L1530's, this combo would shake the walls with punchy bass. I think my 10T's just require a bit more current and control to show off their low frequency capability (which is quite impressive).

Regarding temperature...I thought I'd do a quick test this evening, so I picked up a cheap infrared temp gun. I put some music on when I got home from work this afternoon at 4:45pm. The volume was quite low, just background music. Here's what I found over the course of ~4 hours.

Temperature checked at locations below:

Yamaha Temp.jpg

4:45 p.m.
  • B: 77℉
  • C: 77℉
  • L: 77℉
  • R:77℉
5:45 p.m.
  • B: 96℉
  • C: 91℉
  • L: 87 ℉
  • R: 87 ℉
6:45 p.m.
  • B: 101℉
  • C: 95℉
  • L: 90℉
  • R: 90℉
7:45 p.m.
  • B: 107℉
  • C: 97℉
  • L: 93℉
  • R: 93℉
----Volume turned down, music stopped, Yamaha left ON (not standby)----

9:00 p.m.
  • B: 109℉
  • C: 99℉
  • L: 94℉
  • R: 94℉

The temperature dropped rapidly the further toward the rear I moved from "B". Towards the front of the unit ran very cool. I couldn't get a good shot at the heat sinks through the top cover.

Last edited:
I never measured the temp on my AS 2000 but my experiences were the same. The rear was very warm even with a completely open rack.
Interesting too that the temp didn't seem to drop off when you weren't running it with music, just kind of idles around 100+

I grabbed one of these last week after a demo at one of my locals. I was considering the parasound Halo integrated, but its triple the USD price by the time the dealers get it here. The resolution and power that this yammi has is good. Lovely sound. The bass doesn't quite keep up with the Naim gear, almost sounds like it has a hall effect added to it. I expect it to get better as it burns in or I get used to it.

However, I couldn't - because it had to go back. Volume knob was off axis when I opened the box. As a result, the knob would catch the face plate, and the remote (internal motor) couldn't turn it up or down! Apparently Yamaha are Local, and its being sorted.

Last edited:
I grabbed one of these last week after a demo at one of my locals. I was considering the parasound Halo integrated, but its triple the USD price by the time the dealers get it here. The resolution and power that this yammi has is good. Lovely sound. The bass doesn't quite keep up with the Naim gear, almost sounds like it has a hall effect added to it. I expect it to get better as it burns in or I get used to it.

However, I couldn't - because it had to go back. Volume knob was off axis when I opened the box. As a result, the knob would catch the face plate, and the remote (internal motor) couldn't turn it up or down! Apparently Yamaha are Local, and its being sorted.
Well, this page has been full of disappointing news. I hope they get it sorted out for you in a timely manner. I'm still waiting on a determination from FedEx on my damaged 2100.

The dealer was very good. Sorted a replacement unit for me and repaired the original, offering me a choice of either, within a week. I went with my original one, because it was sealed when I got it so happier knowing it's mine.

Really enjoying music through laptop - schiit modi multibit - the a-s2100 out through a set of bw 683 s2 as I type

Regarding temperature...I thought I'd do a quick test this evening, so I picked up a cheap infrared temp gun. I put some music on when I got home from work this afternoon at 4:45pm. The volume was quite low, just background music. Here's what I found over the course of ~4 hours.

Temperature checked at locations below:

View attachment 970401

4:45 p.m.
  • B: 77℉
  • C: 77℉
  • L: 77℉
  • R:77℉
5:45 p.m.
  • B: 96℉
  • C: 91℉
  • L: 87 ℉
  • R: 87 ℉
6:45 p.m.
  • B: 101℉
  • C: 95℉
  • L: 90℉
  • R: 90℉
7:45 p.m.
  • B: 107℉
  • C: 97℉
  • L: 93℉
  • R: 93℉
----Volume turned down, music stopped, Yamaha left ON (not standby)----

9:00 p.m.
  • B: 109℉
  • C: 99℉
  • L: 94℉
  • R: 94℉

The temperature dropped rapidly the further toward the rear I moved from "B". Towards the front of the unit ran very cool. I couldn't get a good shot at the heat sinks through the top cover.
Matt not sure if this is still of relevance to you but thought I'd share my experience with the 2100 anyway. I haven't measured the temp like you did but I do find the top cover does get very warm no matter the volume setting. I have previously owned the AS1000 and the AS500 and neither got half as warm as the 2100. However there is absolutely nothing wrong with the sound and it's a bliss to listen to it every time. I did look around the Internet forums and found similar experiences by others, so I just attributed the heat to the mosfets. So I'd say there really nothing with your stunner 2100, hope you continue enjoying it.

Back
Top Bottom