The Yamaha A-S2100

I have a Yamaha AS 1000 ,bought it about 1 and a half years ago and I love it, even though it had to be sent to New York for warranty repair it was gone 4 weeks and works great. Bought it from Amazon, next time I'm going to a high Fi store in town. I'm really looking to upgrade to the Yamaha AS 2100 any one know how much of a difference there is between the two amps, I know the wattage are the same but the circuitry is much better? Looking for input from anyone.

Last edited:
I can't speak for the as1000, I haven't heard it. With my as2100, now powering a set of dynaudio focus 260s - I think my weak link now is the source, blue sound node 2 using node dac, but as I have it at the moment there are constantly songs on tidal making my jaw drop. I am so happy with the sound and I cannot fault the amp. It only gets warm, never hot. An old Cambridge I used to own got very hot quickly by comparison.

I have a Yamaha AS 1000 and wanted to upgrade to the Yamaha AS 2100 so I purchased it 8 days ago from a very reptible HIFI store in town, he said it would take about 10 days to get here. Is 10 days normal for a delivery of an amplifier like this, I'm going to call them today to check on the status of it. I didn't want to order it online because of the issue I with the 1000 and having to send it off for warranty repair taking 5 weeks for repair. It dose work great but it got really frustrating with dealing with the online issue so that's why I went to the HIFI store in town.

I have a Yamaha AS 1000 and wanted to upgrade to the Yamaha AS 2100 so I purchased it 8 days ago from a very reptible HIFI store in town, he said it would take about 10 days to get here. Is 10 days normal for a delivery of an amplifier like this, I'm going to call them today to check on the status of it. I didn't want to order it online because of the issue I with the 1000 and having to send it off for warranty repair taking 5 weeks for repair. It dose work great but it got really frustrating with dealing with the online issue so that's why I went to the HIFI store in town.

Seems about right, they just login to their distributor's site and order like we would do from an online retailer, it gets shipped to them and then sold to you. So figure 4-5 days for ground shipping UPS/FedEx, a day or to for ordering processing with a few days of leeway.

Seems about right, they just login to their distributor's site and order like we would do from an online retailer, it gets shipped to them and then sold to you. So figure 4-5 days for ground shipping UPS/FedEx, a day or to for ordering processing with a few days of leeway.
Yea when you're waiting something like this to get here and get it all hooked up and listen to I hate waiting.

I cracked: ordered the A-S2100, CD-S2100 and T-S1000.

Should have them in about 3 weeks :thmbsp:
Wow 3 weeks to get them, I ordered the Yamaha AS 2100 8 days ago the HIFI store in town said it should be about 10 days to get hear and I'm thinking that's to long. I'm going call them today to check on the status of it.

Last edited:
What is your experience about the a-s2100 temperature after playing music for an hour or more ?
My a-s2100 feels really hot when touching the top cover!
(230volt Europe modell)

//Roland
I only just got my new Yamaha 2100 yesterday and I played it 4 hours then 2 hours in the evening 3 hours today and barely more than warm and i mostly listen to it at 10 o clock 11 if I want to kick it up. I'm pushing 4 klipsh m 160 book shelf speakers.

Last edited:
So I've had the 2100 here for a couple weeks now but have held off writing anything about it as I wanted to let the initial excitement die down. The verdict? I like it even more than I did when it first arrived!

It is magnificent and exceptional - slightly warm through the mids, nice sparkle in the highs and it has the best bass reproduction of ANY amp I have owned. It is a smooth customer...loud doesn't really seem loud till you look at the meters and realize you should be in pain, but no, just musical bliss.

I had a Luxman L-507u before the Yamaha and to compare I would say the Lux is slightly more dynamic and a tad more exciting while the 2100 smoother, more refined and musical. The 507 had some big bass but it was a bit boomy compared to the 2100. The bass on the Yamaha is tighter, deeper and I can seem to really pick out the bass tones better as oppose to the Luxman. Pick your poison, both are good but I am glad I sold off the Lux as it was 2x more expensive. The 2100 is a great amp and one of the best I've had.

UPDATE: I didn’t mention anything about the built-in phono stage or headphone amp because at the time I simply had not tried them yet. I am between TT’s right now but the phono via the budget model Rega I am borrowing from a friend sounds pretty good to me. I have not compared it to an external stage and the Yamaha’s limited settings probably requires careful cartridge selection but it sounds no worse than my previous amp’s built-in phono stage.

Headphone amp, well, it sounds great! Much better than the A-S1000 I have at work and every bit as good as my vintage CR-1020. The multiple gain settings are a plus should you have hard to drive headphones.

Since you had your 2100 for awhile and I just got mine yesterday I have about 8 hours run time on it what would say is a good break in time for it?

It came in yesterday already have about 8 hours run time on it.

Hello.
Time for my impression after using the 2100 for 8 month.
from the beginning i think the amp sounded a bit dark and dull,that went away after a while and after that the sound has improved over time and today it sounds really great!

the difference from new to today is bigger than what can be explained with that i am getting used to the sound.

Earlier i did not belived run in time that much, i have now changed my mind!

Yes it is a wonderful amplifier I've had mine for about 4 months now and the sound great at any volume and using headphones. It's not highest wattage amplifier at 90 watts, personally I think it's more like 120 watts but it makes up for it in sound quality. I've listen to McIntosh demos in the HIFI store in town before buying the Yamaha 2100 and I can honestly say that the Yamaha can run right with the McIntosh except without the 250 watts the Macintosh puts out. So as far as volume about 11 o'clock on the volume nob on my Yamaha is pretty much maxed for me.

Hello.
Time for my impression after using the 2100 for 8 month.
from the beginning i think the amp sounded a bit dark and dull,that went away after a while and after that the sound has improved over time and today it sounds really great!

the difference from new to today is bigger than what can be explained with that i am getting used to the sound.

Earlier i did not belived run in time that much, i have now changed my mind!
With my turntable and the Ortofon 2m blue cartridge and my audiotecha M150x headphones plugged into my Yamaha. Well I'll just say it's wonderful music.

Sorry some of us are have issues with the 2100, I had issues a as 1000 bought new from Amazon ended with a third one having to be repaired under warranty. Than I bought the 2100 but from a very reptible HIFI store in town, perfect no heating up no problems barely gets warm after 3 or 4 hours of run time on it. Not sure if we get a different products online but if I buy another high end amplifier again I'm just not chancing the online thing again spending that much it was really ruff being without that one amplifier for 7 weeks.

What a read - I've gone through all this with interest - I was impressed with Yamaha when my son recently purchased the lowly A-S501, I was so impressed I bought the A-S801 (yesterday, now running it in) - but my appetite is wanting more, for example an A-S1100 (I can't afford the 2100 right now).

So if anyone knows - how much better is the 1100 to the 801 - and dare I ask because it's not within reach right now - how much better is a 2100 over the 1100?

I own the Yamaha CD-N500 CD player / streamer from way back, and always liked the presentation - so it matches well with Yamaha amp as you can imagine.

Anyways - if I find an A-S1100 I won't want it to run hot that's for sure. FYI, while running in the 801 for at least 5 hours non stop - it's still cool to the touch on top.

Oh one more thing - the remote for the Yamaha is excellent and works without having to have the amp directly in line of sight - so it must be sensitive enough to get commands from the remote by bouncing off my walls - this is quite the advantage to me due to my circumstances. If anyone with an A-S1100 can do the same test for me that would be great.

What a read - I've gone through all this with interest - I was impressed with Yamaha when my son recently purchased the lowly A-S501, I was so impressed I bought the A-S801 (yesterday, now running it in) - but my appetite is wanting more, for example an A-S1100 (I can't afford the 2100 right now).

So if anyone knows - how much better is the 1100 to the 801 - and dare I ask because it's not within reach right now - how much better is a 2100 over the 1100?

I own the Yamaha CD-N500 CD player / streamer from way back, and always liked the presentation - so it matches well with Yamaha amp as you can imagine.

Anyways - if I find an A-S1100 I won't want it to run hot that's for sure. FYI, while running in the 801 for at least 5 hours non stop - it's still cool to the touch on top.

Oh one more thing - the remote for the Yamaha is excellent and works without having to have the amp directly in line of sight - so it must be sensitive enough to get commands from the remote by bouncing off my walls - this is quite the advantage to me due to my circumstances. If anyone with an A-S1100 can do the same test for me that would be great.
I also have the AS 1000 side lined for now after purchasing the 2100, same power but the 2100 has some of the same mossfitts circuitry that the top of the line AS 3000 has. I set up both amps one day side by side my a AS 1000 and the 2100 played the same supertramp album to hear the difference, there's quit a difference and should be at almost 4000.00.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom