There's Been A Death In The Family

only126db

Went on a trip to take my kid in for his every couple month check up and had my dog being watched while we were gone....Walked in the door to the sound of silence.....My Onkyo rcvr died!!!!!

Obituary
Onkyo Rcvr lived 3 long years after receiving a transplant
Mr Onkyo is survived by 6 wonderful children:
Mr Onkyo's will and final wishes were for his children to grow up with a father

Please help his children Mirage OMC-3 center, Mirage FRX3 surrounds, Mirage OM-9 Mains, and baby Onkyo Passive Sub find a good father.

P.S. Their father needs to be strong and under $300

Lot's of great choices over at Accessories4Less. Even Onkyo Integra units. Most under budget. I'd get the Integra DTR-40.4. It retailed for $1200, and is on sale for $247.50. Or the Integra DTR-50.3, a $1300 receiver, on sale for $299.99. Heck, there's even the $1600 DTR-50.4, for the slightly over budget price of $337.50. All come with a 2 year warranty.

Also, A4L is a great company and are authorized dealers for the gear they carry. I've used them with out issue. I got a $2200 Yamaha for $840. I'm completely happy with the purchase.

Good luck, and my condolences. RIP. :angel:

A/V Receivers at A4L

Last edited:
Well after being an Onkyo fan boy for 28yrs I am no longer....They told me to F off and my receiver is not part of their customer extended warranty involving their HDMI boards even though thats what is wrong with my rcvr. I am probably going to call back and talk to someone else who will not treat me like an idiot... I have been into audio as a hobby since I was 14, now 45, I know a little bit.... I put systems in all my cars, build my own enclosures, every room of my house has some type of audio system including my garage which has a Yamaha rcvr home built towers and powered subwoofer... I used to do construction and would bring an Onkyo rcvr and home built bookshelf speakers to the job instead of a dinky portable radio... I am mad...thx for listening to my rant.......

Ok FK Onkyo.... Wont even sell me a Fkn HDMI board... What a waste, Onkyo has gone down the tubes... So pissed right now...

Yes...gives me a message saying I am S.O.L ........... Looking at Pioneer Elite SC-LX501, Yamaha RX-A850, or Denon AVR-X3300W.... Really loved Onkyo but I will pay more and stand on my principals, I used to tell everyone to buy Onkyo, I just cant believe what they have become...When they got rid of the Club Onkyo all the Onkyo fan boys were upset and at that time I should have known things were different. My last Onkyo rcvr was used and abused, ran @ 1ohm a few times to test enclosures and it kept kicking, bulletproof....

Shoot heres my garage radio in 2009

You do know that Onkyo owns (and builds) Pioneer now? :idea:

Oh, I stick with Yamaha. I've never had a problem with one of their receivers. Check the A4L link I posted earlier. Good prices on all the gear they sell.

Last edited:
Advertising:

No advertising of any kind (even give-aways) is permitted on AK except under these rules, which are strictly applied:
  • You cannot advertise or promote any business without pre-approval as an AK Vendor.
  • All ads or offers to sell, buy or trade anything must be in Barter Town.
  • Non-Subscribers cannot make offers to buy, sell or trade anywhere on AK.
  • No personal pleas of any kind are allowed in Barter Town, and don't reference ads elsewhere.
Sorry for your loss but just sayin'...

P.S. I love your use of personification - our gear really does live and die!
In memoriam I'll pop an Onkyo into the rotation and light a candle_:p

You do know that Onkyo owns (and builds) Pioneer now? :idea:

Oh, I stick with Yamaha. I've never had a problem with one of their receivers. Check the A4L link I posted earlier. Good prices on all the gear they sell.

Well I had no Idea.... Cross them off the list, wasnt a real Pioneer home audio fan, their Premier car audio head units used to be the best, but they changed a while back too....

Not a real Denon fan either so looks like Yammi may get my business, cant afford Marantz or McIntosh or a dedicated amp/processor so....

Well I hate this fact..........For the features and specifications available it was hard to beat the price of an Integra receiver from Accessories4Less so I had to go against the point of principal I was going to set....I ended up buying the Integra DTR-50.3 and the extended warranty so for $365 I have what should be a good rcvr and 5yrs of protection... I was wanting the 50.4 but the 50.3 was all ready over my budget (hours have been reduced by 50%).......

I've got a tx-sr674 that has the maddening HDMI flicker. Looks like there are some 100UF caps that need to be replaced on the HDMI board. I'm going to tear into mine this week. I have been blaming it on my Panasonic plasma but I finally narrowed it to the receiver.

Same bad caps issue as many other products in the early mid 2000s. Dell got hit real bad.

I'll start a new thread when I get to it.

Update: I replaced all the 100 ufd caps on the HDMI board and now it works great! Even the on screen setup.

Last edited:
Well I hate this fact..........For the features and specifications available it was hard to beat the price of an Integra receiver from Accessories4Less so I had to go against the point of principal I was going to set....I ended up buying the Integra DTR-50.3 and the extended warranty so for $365 I have what should be a good rcvr and 5yrs of protection... I was wanting the 50.4 but the 50.3 was all ready over my budget (hours have been reduced by 50%).......

Some of those Accessories4Less prices are pretty hard to ignore. So, I don't blame you for picking up the 50.3. Plus, I consider the extended warranty a smart move too. Let us know how you like the new AVR, once it's set up and running!

Some of those Accessories4Less prices are pretty hard to ignore. So, I don't blame you for picking up the 50.3. Plus, I consider the extended warranty a smart move too. Let us know how you like the new AVR, once it's set up and running!

Well I am not so impressed with the 50.3, it does have better sound then the rcvr I had (HTIB HT-S3500), but for twice the price what I paid for the other one which came with speakers....Not impressed.

Then on to problem #2, I had to either buy a powered sub or an amplifier to run a sub....I have building skills and quite a few subs laying around so I bought an amp...
I bought a Behringer NU1000 which should put out about 400w to 800w...

My problem is I cannot get any real out put from it/my sub....If I do the level calibration which outputs white noise or whatever, the subwoofer seems like it wants to kill itself taking all the amps power, however with any other source I get next to no output, seems around 25w or so, very weak...

I have an rca splitter from one sub output split to input a and b on the amp, the amp is set to bridged and the gain (front knob) has to be full tilt to get audio (besides in setup mode with white noise from rcvr). The amplifier lights which show the level barely even light up....

Well I am not so impressed with the 50.3, it does have better sound then the rcvr I had (HTIB HT-S3500), but for twice the price what I paid for the other one which came with speakers....Not impressed.

Then on to problem #2, I had to either buy a powered sub or an amplifier to run a sub....I have building skills and quite a few subs laying around so I bought an amp...

My problem is I cannot get any real out put from it/my sub....If I do the level calibration which outputs white noise or whatever, the subwoofer seems like it wants to kill itself taking all the amps power, however with any other source I get next to no output, seems around 25w or so, very weak...

I have an rca splitter from one sub output on rcvr split to input a and b on the amp, the amp is set to bridged and the gain (front knob) has to be full tilt to get audio (besides in setup mode with white noise from rcvr). The amplifier lights which show the level barely even light up....

I have picked up a Onkyo TX-SR607 receiver for 20 bucks. I won't be able to hook it up for a few days. I am wondering how this will compare to my Marantz 2225
I will be using it 2 channel stereo. Thanks

I have an rca splitter from one sub output split to input a and b on the amp, the amp is set to bridged and the gain (front knob) has to be full tilt to get audio (besides in setup mode with white noise from rcvr). The amplifier lights which show the level barely even light up....

If the calibration routine makes the sub shake, rattle, and roll as you'd generally expect, but does not seem to put out on a movie then it just may be there isn't that much kick ass bass during the movie. Or, maybe you are used to having the sub turned up beyond the cal'ed level in the previous setup?

Or, based on the description maybe something is connected wrong. Typically one does not feed both Ch 1 and Ch 2 (or A and B or whatever) in bridged mode. Usually just one input is used when bridged.

Does the Behringer amp.have crossover settings/DSP? If so, you probably want to turn all that off and run the amp full range since the receiver/AVR should be handling all the bass management/low pass filter stuff.

Back
Top Bottom