These (huge!) Phillips AH-477's and how to get the best sound out of them?

boonefrog

So I wanted to show off my newly refurbished Phillips High Fidelity Labs 477 speakers and ask a question about putting them on stands for sound/aesthetics. I recently picked these up for the price of a few lattes and refoamed/gasketed woofers, sanded/refinished veneer, refurbished the metal trim and attenuator pots/knobs, added high quality feet, etc.

And WOW.. do they sound absolutely stunning! I've rarely heard this type of brilliance and detail. I actually prefer them to my B&W DM3000's for most music thus far. They far outperform my Thiel's and most other speakers I've owned. They remind me a lot of Yamaha NS-690II and NS-1000's and even give them a run for their money IMO. Specs here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/42750692@N07/15294352791/

As with most large speakers, with big 12's on the bottom, they sound muddy when placed on the floor. As a temporary fix, I put them on my 23" high Sanus-like stands that I kept my Dynaco A-25XL's on. Here they sound great, but it brings them to 51" inches off the ground (tweeters at about 45" up) and, as you can see in the pictures, a bit too imposing for our smallish living room. Did I mention these things are big boxes? 14.5" deep, 15.5" wide, and 28" tall.

So I guess the question is: what's the right height/stand design for them to be on stands at to get the best sound but minimize their imposing size? Should I angle some low 6" stands up a bit or just put them on like 12-16" stands? or combine and make angled higher stands?? I'm planning on building the stands myself as I've got most of the tools/materials for wood and other materials. Here are a few designs I was thinking of - though I don't have a welder for the metal one! http://imgur.com/a/iZrdc

RDNeBUW.jpg

lx4YPIj.jpg

uLBHDPt.jpg

9qo5qYq.jpg

I have a pair that I just gave away to an old friend. Something in my collection had to go. So these were the ones. Mine were pretty minty as well. The original woofers were re-coned. the woofers having a smallish magnet, to me, doesn't have powerfull bass off the floor so I was going to recommend to you place on the floor s they were designed to be. The strength of that speaker is the excellent mid range which I have a few pairs stashed away for future projects, maybe. I find it surprising that you prefer them to your B and Ws Beautiful to look at as well.

Thanks for the reply! Weird (but totally understandable) we had such different experiences. When we first tested I was honestly halfway hesitant to say anything about how surprised I was when we were A-B(-C-D) testing them with other more expensive speakers, but then the other 4 folks in the room listening spoke up to the same effect. You are right that the highs and mids shine - much like the Yammies I've had - but I thought the bass was great elevated and remarkably bad on the floor (thus the post).

In A-B tests with the DM3000's the more electronic and party/hip-hop tracks definitely came through on the BW's. And as always they handle sections of complex, high-demand tracks in a non-fatiguing and accurate way. But as far as most other less complex but still dynamic music, the 477's on stands gave a detail that really surprised all of us.

Either way, what do you think about raising a bit/angling them to get high/mid domes firing sound closer to eye level? Thanks!

I do enjoy their looks and no doubt they sound great, but which Thiels were you comparing them to that they far outperformed?

As far as stands, you probably want them up off of the floor, esp if they are close to the wall. You probably will want them so the tweeters are the same height as the B&W's tweeters on straight stands or a little bit below with the tweeters aimed up at your listening position.

Nice work with the refurb... they look great! I also really like the looks of that generation B&Ws.

Unless a speaker is designated as a floor stander it was designed to be used with a stand. This includes virtually all "bookshelf" speakers. Tweeters at ear height when seated is the rule of "thumb".

Great thanks for the feedback all. I think I may try to make some slightly angled hefty stands. Any design recommendations?

which Thiels were you comparing them to that they far outperformed?
I was comparing them to my CS1.2's which I experience as far too "forward" in midrange and with bass lacking any meaningful range :(
They are crazy detailed, but just don't have a "full" sound to me.

I hear ya. I have more experience with the 3, 4 and 5 series Thiels. Still fairly forward but rarely lacking in the low end.

Back
Top Bottom