They Shall Not Grow Old

jt01

Don't know if this movie has been mentioned before, but last night I went to see They Shall Not Grow Old, a documentary on WW1 directed by Peter Jackson of "Lord of the Rings" fame. As a history buff, I don't know how it could get any better - details and trailer here.

I did see the trailer at the theatre and the restoration of the film is beyond awesome. That being said I will look for it on cable or redbox. From what I saw it word be an interesting historical epic to digest.

Saw this last night. Stunning film restoration. As Jackson admits, the big hole in the story is there's no actual battle footage, but that aside it's a brilliant achievement. There's also a half hour after the credits of Jackson explaining the rationale, approach and some of the techniques that went into creating the film - fascinating.

I'd put this actual film footage up against a lot of the cutting edge re-enactments of today's feature films for clarity and impact ...

PS - kudos to Jackson for not inserting someone at the line yelling "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" ;-}

Brilliant film, highly recommended. The restoration and coloring are stunning.

So how can I view this Doc? Also is there a way for me to view favorites of Docs that others have seen. I always enjoyed docs but got away from them and more into books past few years.
Much appreciate pointing out anything historical in content.
Canton

It's still in theaters in the U.S., but it didn't have the wide distribution of a feature film. I also know this aired on the BBC in England last November, so you may be able to find it on their website. I also suspect it will show up on Netflix or Amazon Prime shortly. However you find it, it's well worth watching.

It's still in theaters in the U.S., but it didn't have the wide distribution of a feature film. I also know this aired on the BBC in England last November, so you may be able to find it on their website. I also suspect it will show up on Netflix or Amazon Prime shortly. However you find it, it's well worth watching.
Thanks for your help much appreciated.
Canton

Back
Top Bottom