1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Things that can't be un-heard

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by JediDude, Dec 29, 2017.

1. JediDude

JediDude Active Member

So what song / recording comes to mind that after you've heard it on a sufficiently detailed system, you hear something in the recording that you listen for every time you hear that music afterwards?

One that I noticed that I noticed is Nathaniel Rateliff and The Night Sweats: S.O.B. At about 2:50 in the song, in a pause in the song, I can hear him inhale before he starts singing again.
    The interesting thing thing is, I'd heard the song many times on a couple of half-decent sounding car stereo systems (mine and a rental), and I never noticed that bit until I had the CD going in my HT system downstairs.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. interalian

interalian Super Member

Bonzo's bass pedal needing oil in "Since I've Been Loving You" off Zep III.

mcgarick, f0427ea, asilker and 6 others like this.
  3. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

I think I heard Joe Cocker cough in one of his studio tracks but the title escapes me..

4. Marine0811

Marine0811 I love it loud! Subscriber

Didn't realize Joe Cocker did a rendition of " Let me clear my throat" lol!:rflmao:

mcgarick likes this.
  5. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

It's not something particularly difficult to hear, but I've noticed the chick at the end of Van Morrison's song Did Ye Get Healed? who asks the title question, comes through with greater resolution the better the system. I always listen for her.

6. will1960

will1960 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Keith Jarrett. As much as I appreciate and enjoy his playing, his recordings always have him "humming" along with his tunes. It's a type of whiny humming that becomes unbearable after awhile. His "At the Deer Head Inn" recording is a prime example. Fantastic recording and performance by the whole group, but I can't get past that humming!

mcgarick and RT Fan like this.

7. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

It's relatively easy to hear Glenn Gould humming along with many of his recordings. I dislike it just as much when Keith Jarrett does it.
    OTOH:
    George Benson does it frequently on many of his recordings and I don't mind his "humming".

mcgarick, jdsalinger and musichal like this.
  8. Ken Boyd

Ken Boyd AK Subscriber Subscriber

The hiss of the master tapes when they switch on the amps for the cutting head. I can hear it on quite a number of LP's. You can hear it right after the needle drops in the lead groove and just before the music starts.

beat_truck likes this.
  9. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

Things that can't be un-heard

My parents having sex, oh wrong forum lol.

mcgarick, bluescat, gdmoore28 and 2 others like this.
  10. anytune

anytune AK Subscriber Subscriber

On The Beach Boys' "Wendy," someone coughs during the music bridge. This is very noticeable with headphones, but not necessarily in normal room listening.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    onwardjames likes this.
  11. drumbum

drumbum Super Member

Kick it over here baby pops.

blownsi likes this.

12. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

The handiwork of mixers who didn't level the room before the recording session. Damn, sometimes level changes can be heard in the middle of the track. In some albums, the timber of the recording artist's voice is different from track to track. A mixers job is to go un-noticed. They are not artists.

13. crazy-in-az

crazy-in-az All humans are vermin... Subscriber

It wasn't until recently that I realized exactly who it was singing backup on Neil Young's "Heart Of Gold". Now that I know it was Linda Ronstadt and James Taylor I can hear it pretty much on any system.

14. AdamAnt316

AdamAnt316 Collector of heavy things Subscriber

Things you can't un-hear? :biggrin:
    [​IMG]

Seriously, though, you can hear quite a bit of studio chatter and incidental noise with a good recording and a good set of speakers or (especially) headphones. For example, during the middle part of Yes - Roundabout, shortly before the vocals kick back in, you can hear a pair of high-pitched tones starting around the 5:20 mark. And about seven seconds into Led Zeppelin - The Crunge, after the drums and bass have started, you can hear something that sounds like Jimmy Page accidentally hitting a string about a bar or so before he actually starts playing his guitar riff.
    -Adam

jdsalinger likes this.
  15. interalian

interalian Super Member

This. Or Glen Gould doing it, or Oscar Peterson. For such musicians to 'hum/scat' out of tune seems odd.

16. interalian

interalian Super Member

There's a cukoo clock sound at the end of Supertramp "Asylum".

17. DirtFarmer

DirtFarmer Active Member

No special equipment needed, could hear it on any old radio..... Garrison Keillor's faint nose-whistle, on various episodes of Prairie Home Companion.

18. onepixel

onepixel .

Diana Krall - All For You: A Dedication to The Nat King Cole Trio

I can hear the moisture in her mouth. The sounds you hear when your lover whispers in your ear.

19. toddalin

toddalin Super Member

John Lennon says "Bye" in the Sgt Pepper Reprise.

BLAH BLAH likes this.
  20. Ken Boyd

Ken Boyd AK Subscriber Subscriber

She's not that hot to fantasize about that. ;)

mcgarick, bluescat and onepixel like this.