Things that can't be un-heard

Is your audio track mono ? Or are razzin' me about my Sawn-Swee ?
I used a iPhone to record the room sound, it records Mono.

This is recorded from my phone

This is the Youtube vid i was recording, you'll notice here you hear the micking of the drums roll to left and right speakers. Kick drum is to the left, small Toms are to the right for instance

Last edited:
When I owned a pair of Stax SR5 headphones, playing The Twilight Zone off 2112 by Rush, there would be a point in the song where Geddy Lee's voice would center at the back of my head, then go down the back of my neck. The only other HPs that did this, albeit to a slightly lesser extent, were Stax SRXs.

Once, 20 years ago I got a ride hitching and the guys had a ton of weed in the car. They very kindly blew me out and about 20 minutes later, Britney Spears "baby baby" came on the stereo and I SWEAR it was the best, most precise and most lush and layered recording I had ever heard.

It could have been the pot of course, but it certainly gave me a new respect for that song, lols

Pot, hell! That was opium, dude.

I'm guessing there was some acid involved in this.

rs-159173-britney-624-1373632225.jpg

One of my old flatmates sisters boyfriends Grateful Dead record being thrown out the window when he took off the Talking Heads album that was playing and said "what is this shit you are listening too?" and then put on the dead. He was soon to follow the record. We had low tolerance in that house for bad music. The sound it made hitting the side of his VW was glorious.

Eric Clapton's She's Waiting

You've been abusing her for far too long;
Think you're a king and she's your pawn.
Get ready now, 'cause pretty soon
She'll be gone and you'll be on your own.

But, if you listen to it, he most definitely says:

she's your prawn.

So is she a jumbo shrimp, or a langostino???

Back to OP's question — there's a Bob Marley song, forget which, with a little triangle every few seconds. It's faint, sounds 30 feet back from the group. On most speakers it's not there, but on my 'statics it's crystal clear and it makes the song for me.

There's a Brazilian song "Terra" by Caetano Veloso. At the end, there's a faint little "whoosh" sound, like a butterfly flying upwards far away. Same story — not there on most speakers. and I can't listen to this gorgeous song if it's missing...

On a resolving system: The commotion at the beginning of Daydream Believer.

Speaking of folks who recorded with too much alcohol, there's a recording of Oasis covering I am the Walrus where they are so sloshed that I'm not sure I can understand any of their gibberish.

Last edited:
In the late 60's, MGM started overdubbing Hank Williams' LP releases for stereo. It is literally impossible on some songs for me NOT to hear the overdub version even if I am listening to the original studio version.

On Toto's "Rosanna" during a quiet passage @ 3:38, I hear what sounds like a few "bites" from a Pac-Man video game.

Ever since I first heard this song at the age of 13 I love hearing the sound of Hughie Thomasson switching his pickups on his Fender Strat during this guitar solo (noise is at 2:48 ish)

Leonard Bernstein muttering "1, 2, 3!" under his breath, while conducting the second movement of Bartok's Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta (the cool piece used throughout The Shining). New York Philharmonic, Columbia.

On Careful with that Axe Eugene,at the very end of the song you can hear someone smacking their lips and saying ahhhh.

Back
Top Bottom