Things that don't make sense: Breezewood, Pa. .... an interstate anomaly.

Do they still have the signs saying "Breezewood, land of hotels and restaurants" or something to that effect? I went camping a few times up in that general area with a friend and his wife. Her family had some spots in a campground near a state park an exit earlier. We ended up passing through Breezewood for fuel and breakfast before getting on the turnpike to make the trip home. Possible breakfast was at that Perkins, its been too many years to remember.

I do remember it being a regular Charlie Foxtrot to navigate, especially with me driving an underpowered VW Beetle through all that mess.

At the other end of the spectrum ... on I-19 in Arizona ...

i19azsexit87.JPG

It goes ... nowhere. Take the exit, and it loops right back onto the highway. Plans were to place a new development there, but rumor has it there's a Native American burial ground located smack dab in the middle of it. The exit remains, and is maintained, in hopes of getting things going again.
I had been down that road (I-19) many times when I lived in Tucson and drove Semis. I remember Border Patrol and U.S. Customs really like that particular exit to set up a road block. Got stopped many times headed to Nogales to make deliveries. AHH, the good old days!!
At the other end of the spectrum ... on I-19 in Arizona ...

i19azsexit87.JPG

It goes ... nowhere. Take the exit, and it loops right back onto the highway. Plans were to place a new development there, but rumor has it there's a Native American burial ground located smack dab in the middle of it. The exit remains, and is maintained, in hopes of getting things going again.

That little interchange in Carlisle for 76/81 is an odd one too.
Both of these locations make me think of my dad , who was always confused navigating them no matter how many time I walked him through the process.

Also , the abandoned stretch of turnpike is available for recreation. Its a maintained trail.
Ive hiked it and biked it a few times. The tunnels and surrounding infrastructure are really neat to explore.

Do they still have the signs saying "Breezewood, land of hotels and restaurants" or something to that effect? I went camping a few times up in that general area with a friend and his wife. Her family had some spots in a campground near a state park an exit earlier. We ended up passing through Breezewood for fuel and breakfast before getting on the turnpike to make the trip home. Possible breakfast was at that Perkins, its been too many years to remember.
I do remember it being a regular Charlie Foxtrot to navigate, especially with me driving an underpowered VW Beetle through all that mess.

Probably still there...... I have visions of it being faded or rusted. If I think about it I'll check....... I'm heading to Ohio tomorrow and returning a few days after that . I might just skip the I-68 routine and to the Turnpike for the return trip. If I come through early enough it allows me to stop at Phantom Fireworks right before the Maryland line...

Oh, I did find this after doing a quick net search. It's probably the sign you were thinking of.
--EDIT-- Whoops.....I looked at the photo online again and the photographer noted the sign is now GONE..... Oh well...

townofmotels_0195.JPG

Last edited:
Safe travels, but to put up with the thump-thump-thump is more than I care to endure.
Regards,
Jim

The amazing thing is that after all these years no one has fixed that.

Speaking of diverting roads or not building them: my town (Columbia MO) was founded in 1820 and it was a few miles south of the main road to the West known as the Boone's Lick Trail. After a very short span of time, the city leaders picked a spot a couple miles to the east and basically rerouted the road down into Columbia and made it the main drag. Thus every pioneer going to Kansas City where the Santa Fe trail and the Oregon Trail split off, would come right down our main street and buy stuff along the way. There is an original remnant a couple miles to the west with wagon ruts on someone's property, no longer used as a road. Later Highway 40 was built just a mile to the north of downtown, and eventually I-70 on that same route. And Brown's Station, where the trail used to go? Nothing but a wide spot in the road now. All because some guys diverted a trail in 18-ought-whatever.

The amazing thing is that after all these years no one has fixed that.

Speaking of diverting roads or not building them: my town (Columbia MO) was founded in 1820 and it was a few miles south of the main road to the West known as the Boone's Lick Trail. After a very short span of time, the city leaders picked a spot a couple miles to the east and basically rerouted the road down into Columbia and made it the main drag. Thus every pioneer going to Kansas City where the Santa Fe trail and the Oregon Trail split off, would come right down our main street and buy stuff along the way. There is an original remnant a couple miles to the west with wagon ruts on someone's property, no longer used as a road. Later Highway 40 was built just a mile to the north of downtown, and eventually I-70 on that same route. And Brown's Station, where the trail used to go? Nothing but a wide spot in the road now. All because some guys diverted a trail in 18-ought-whatever.

Oh, people have tried but Grillbilly hit the nail on the head in his comment above. Merchants in the area, and consequently the politicians, fight it tooth and nail. All politics now related to the income they think they'd lose.

Follow Rt. 40 along the old National Road East and eventually you'll pass within a mile of my house. Our neighborhood is off the original National Road, (now called Rt. 144) ..... and in fact there's several of the original stone mile markers in place along the side of the road. I think we're closest to mile 17 as measured from downtown Baltimore..... or maybe it was 19..... can't remember

I lived near Dayton Ohio for awhile, and that's a town that attempted to pull the National Road off course to go through Dayton ....and failed. The National Road passes several miles to the North. Being persistent, their solution was to build a counterfeit road that was near identical the original, and in their case actually succeeded to draw the business to their fake road.

Back
Top Bottom