Thinking about seperates

Charger22

Wondering if a $150-200 budget for a pre amp and amp will produce better quality than my all in one Technics sa-dx940 av stereo receiver.

Looking into a VP29/art/u turn for a pre amp. I am open to any/all suggestions though. Sl-1900 turntable and some Boston acoustics HD 5 book shelf speakers.

I have a opportunity locally to pick up a rotel rb1050. Would this pair up nice?

Last edited:
I agree $200. isn't going to get you much as far as separates are concerned save your money for something better....

OTOH, there are some surprisingly good deals to be had for vintage receivers. Yamaha R-1000 is 100 wpc. Yamaha R-2000 is 150 wpc. Yamaha CR-1020 is 85 wpc. All of these are silver face and can be had within your budget.

I love the simple look. To me kinda goes with the sl-1900. I feel like this is a better option. I want to play around gear wise and this might be a decent way to do it. Simple quality gear. My brother is great with a soldering gun so if it does need the rebuild it will be another bit of fun to the mix.

Give me a quality 80's receiver over cheap separates any day.
The eighties is when most major manufacturers started cheapening their equipment to meet a price point to appeal to the mass market. It kills me when someone claims a score on a plastic face receiver just because it has the name Marantz or Pioneer or Kenwood. What is even worse is when they say it sounds fantastic. Poor little uneducated souls, they haven't really heard the good stuff...

I have run McIntosh and REAL Marantz separates for many years and only upgraded when there was an improvement in the sound of my system. Until you get your ears on the unit I am talking about with quality speakers, you will still have something to learn.

Back
Top Bottom