Thinking about setting up a Raspberry Pi 3 as music server

No Amazon Prime service up there?! I'm spoiled with 2 day delivery, but no drones yet, lol
We have Prime here, so most stuff ships free, but no UPS/Fedex, only USPS and that mail comes in on single engine Cessnas (it would insult the pilot to call those drones!) and they only fly VFR so weather shuts the mail down for days sometimes when the weather is bad which creates a huge backlog.. Still sometimes it has taken over a month with Amazon just to actually send it whereas other times I will receive it maybe 5 days after placing the order. I don't know why sometimes they appear to be slower other than maybe it trips them up if some seller didn't realize there are no Big Brown trucks here..
Life in the boonies.. :beatnik:

Wow!! And here I will shop in Best Buy for something, check Amazon while still in the store, find its cheaper, and get it delivered within 2 days (even on a Sunday) for free.

Don't have anything like that! I would be so spoiled with that sort of convenience! There is a Costco about 80 miles away from here but it is a very long 80 miles because there is no road, only way there with the car is a 5 hour ferry trip which runs just once a day 3 or 4 days a week, or fly the air taxi for about $240 RT.. I may complain about Amazon, but in reality life here would be way tougher without it. Better to wait a few weeks than not have the option at all!

The JRiver Id classic looks exactly like something I'm looking for - JRiver and external storage wrapped up on in one. Unfortunately the in-board DAC on my Yamaha integrated needs a drive that isn't available for Linux. Arrrgh....

So I have now as of last night been successful in running JRiver on my Raspberry Pi3 in render mode where the music is still being served from my windows pc but through the Ethernet cable to the RPi where my USB DAC now resides. This has accomplished one fairly major thing which is it has gotten my DAC completely off my noisy windows pc USB. The RPi has no moving parts, no fans, wireless devices or spinning hard drives so is clean. Thus far, the sound is quite good! Still have a couple issues to figure out but am satisfied for now. Eventually I am going to have a NAS with all my music files on it an then the RPi will be played more or less stand alone. With it always on, no monitor or keyboard will be required to play music. The smartphone controls it with the JRemote app and music will be available instantly even with the PC switched off. The power draw on the RPi is only 4 watts..

Back
Top Bottom