Thinking of buying a 2nd motorcycle

Lots of nice bikes. The 500cc is a nice size....plenty of power riding solo, light, good gas mileage, reminds me why I started riding in the first place. I found this at a bargain price with 2800 miles on the clock.
I added a set of risers on the bars to get them up and back a bit for a more upright ride. Rebuilt the carbs and cleaned out the tank been riding it ever since. It's due for tires this spring though.

00S0S_42LBNsatPEV_600x450.jpg

Since I sold the Harley it's my only bike at the moment. Still looking for a big bike for me and the wife just ain't decided on what.

Last edited:
OK, I had a 1972 T500J and rode it to 26,000 miles. My first bike, I bought it from my buddy with like 6500 miles on it. Rode it all over Wisconsin. Painted the tank, changed shocks, added a 550 front end with disc brakes, Dunlop TT100 tires, J&R expansion chambers, lots of fun; it was my cafe project in the 1970s world of John Player Nortons and bikini fairings. It was pretty quick in the first three gears, 1st was a granny; but 4th and 5th were pretty high, which get it revving low at highway speeds, but were tough to pull at speed. Lost my license blasting out of Bonduel, WI after I got clocked at 86 in a 55, but never saw 100 on it. Vibrated a bit, but obviously I got used to it. Added some Wiseco pistons to it, but didn't seat a wrist pin circlip properly and scored the jug so I sold it for parts.

In 1984 I bought a Yamaha R5 from a friend for $200 in Chicago and moved to Pittsburgh with it where I loved to ride the local hills and the 90 miles down to West Virginia to get lost in the twisties. It was tons of fun and zippier than the T500, but not as comfy of a tourer. I still look for another black and orange one like that one; but prices are a lot more now.

My 500 and a rare pic of me, sans moustache, in 3 Rivers Stadium with the R5 in '85...

t500.jpg 350PGH.jpg

XS in stock forms reliable. Make em' go fast and your looking for crank problems.

Which crank ... the bike, or yours? Ride a couple hundred miles on one and be a week before your nethers are ready for action again. <G>

The Guzzi has a new stable mate and I mean new. I went with the Yamaha TW 200. As the search went along off road became one of the things I wanted for the new bike and while I love the old 2 strokes with my age I wanted something that's proved dead reliable and that's a TW 200. They've made them for decades they get the job done and there's plenty of after market support. Big fat knobby tires will help in pretty crappy conditions and add more cushion to the ride which I always appreciate. There's plenty of trails and sights to see off road here in Kentucky and if I decide to drag it to another state it's light enough to manage that easily. I built the shelves in back to free up floor space because I knew there was another bike coming. Had metal shelving on the floor and the wall mounted ones saved 7" and store way more.

Here's a picture at it's new home with Denise. I don't have a name for the new bike yet.

46629171632_4ea39b50af_b.jpg

got nothing to do with the pilot jets clogging which they will in no time if you use the wrong fuel.
Very easy.Turn off that petcock when you are done and run it out of fuel.Or add Stabil Marine(the blue stuff) or equivelant with every fill.
better yet do both.

Last edited:
Late to the party, but this brings back lots of memories.

If you can find a nice used Suzuki Titan, go for it. Parts are rare so take care of that engine.

A Titan was my first street bike. Rode it all over Northern Michigan for a few years.

A Yamaha RD400, Suzuki 750 "Water Buffalo" and finally a modded Kawasaki H2 750 followed.

The H2 had an extended swing arm, Denco chambers, and Mikuni GP carbs. Pretty wicked for a bike with squat for brakes. It didn't handle to well in the turns, either, but back then there wasn't much that would keep up with it. Maybe a Kawasaki 900, the original Z1.

Today's bikes make it look like a toy.

Back
Top Bottom