This finishes a chapter from the Fest

luvvinvinyl

My best pal, Molly
Subscriber
***Long Post Warning***

I have been wrestling with the decision of what system to tear down, so that I can set up Dr. Strangelove’s Pioneer system, from the Fest. I was going to set it up, here, next to my computer. That means out goes the 4300 and 2 pair of EPI 100s. Temporarily, at least.

Meanwhile, friend of ours (the DW and I) finds herself in dire straits, as her idiot husband leaves her and goes to live with his (female) first cousin, not in a platonic way. She goes to work and comes home to find the place almost empty of furniture. He did take all the music and gear. Jo finds herself with no tunes. He did leave her the little 13” TV. I gave her a half dozen CDR’s from our library. She was over while I was at the Fest, and heard stuff she liked, so I burned ‘em. She tried to play them on her $5 POS DVD player from the pawn shop, and no go.

Went to the local Value Village, and the girl was carrying out a Sony CD changer. Filthy. Asked her how much. $10. Can I test it? Nope. Is there a remote? Nope. How about $7.50? OK. Out I went. Next door, to the Cash Converters, where I asked what would you give me for this? Let’s test it and see, says he. He hooks it up, on the bench, loads it with CDs and CDRs, and takes a Sony remote from a box. Puts it through its paces, it is a champ. Not so much as a hiccup. He offers me $3. I say, “No thanks, I’ll keep it. BTW, do you want to sell the remote?” $3, says he. But the back is missing, I counter, I’ll give you $1.50. Sold! Thirty minutes to clean it up, and it looked like new.

DW tells me that her friend is trying to play the CDs on the DVD player, into the little TV. NOW I know where the Pioneer system has to go! Took all of it over last night, and brought music back into the world of this nice lady, who has endured a world of hurt. She is pretty tough, and just about jumped through hoops, to keep from crying, and almost made it. When I left, she had five CDRs in the tray, on shuffle, and she was dancing in her living room. I gotta tell ya, I never heard anything so sweet as that. Those project 120’s are going to get a workout, but they will be up to the task. I’ve been riding this high since last night, and I still get the warm fuzzies.

Doc’s system is going to be well-used, and well-loved, by someone who needs some music in her life. Tyler was right, music will DEFINITELY elevate the mood.

Thought you guys should know.

:thmbsp: Way to go!!!
I've been known to do the same type of thing for the down and out.. (of tunes) but never quite such a nice set-up! :thmbsp:
Way to put it to great use!

You 'da man!!

Tal

Thanks, Tal.

Right after I finished posting, Jo called, tunes going, so happy she can hardly stand it, to thank me again. I'm only sorry I didn't think of this earlier.

BTW, maybe this thread will put an end to the emails from 0-post members, asking to buy the system. I ABSOLUTELY would not have sold it, anyway, but now it is not mine to sell. The new owner is NOT interested in selling.

Sounds like it ended up EXACTLY where it was supposed to be to me, LV. Nothing pleases me more than when I can give, or restore, music into someone's life.

This is the AK spirit at its finest.

Good Job Ernie :thmbsp:

An AK raffle is turned into an AK gift to someone in true need, how cool is that :yes:

I'll drink one in your name tonight, "Here's to a selfless act of kindness, an example of what the AK spirit is all about, Here's to you Ernie" :beerchug:

Your a good man, but I've always said that about you :cool:

Ernie,Great post,very generous of you,the spirit of giving and "AudioKarma" is definately alive and well in your household.The gift of music is a very uplifting thing.I seriously don't know how I would have gotten this far in my life without music,either listening to it or playing it. When I have my garage sales I try and give things away to people who really/need appreciate it.I am hoping to give some speakers away this weekend.I allways feel great after doing this,people are so surprised,and it seems that somthing allways comes back my way!!!...Enjoy Your Music....Kenny

::::sniff::::

Very cool....
as her idiot husband leaves her and goes to live with his (female) first cousin, not in a platonic way.
...thought they only did that here in Missouri...?

Wow, nice story (well, except for the hurt your friend has suffered), l-v. Thanks for telling it. You're a good man!

Good for you Ernie, the idea of bringing some musical light into someone's world when they are taking a s'kicking is so cool.

What a great guy, you make me feel all warm and fuzzy about the kind of people who hang out here...:) .

Thanks, guys, for all the kind words. Army, 8:00 p.m. I will be raising a glass to you, sir. Thanks.

I am pretty sure that between the two of us, it is a push, as to who got more out of this. And, for the record, I have read about other AKers doing this also. I figure that I am just upholding an AK tradition that comes into play, when it is truly needed. The inspiration came from everyone on this site. I am just very glad that I was able to help out someone, who desperately deserved it, and needed it.

Somebody was watching over her, and they sent me to complete the task.

Way to go LV. You will get back in spades what you gave- the gift of giving. This does seem to be an AK kinda thing. Great folks here. I get a ton of goodwill and uplift from this site.

Back
Top Bottom