This Yamaha lucked out on this shipping trip

superdog

AK Member
This is a 65 lb.Yamaha RXV1.It survived a cross country trip with FEDEX.It was packed in what I believe was a lightweight box that probably held toilet paper originally with a few sheets of newspaper thrown in for good measure.It suffered a couple of broken front feet and a bent speaker binding post.I was expecting a lot worse when I picked this of my front porch and feeling the shitty packing job.It was lucky.4.11.2018 016.jpg

Attachments

• 4.11.2018 018.jpg
    4.11.2018 018.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 294
  • 4.11.2018 033.jpg
    4.11.2018 033.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 307
  • 4.11.2018 013.jpg
    4.11.2018 013.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 299
Sellers just don't get it. I'm glad to hear you lucked out. Now you should go for a cut in the price due to the minimal damage. Good luck.
Yeah I got a decent cut.To his credit he was willing to give me a full refund and me keep the item but I couldn't do that as the damage was minimal.I told him in an email right after purchasing that these are heavy fragile items.Please pack accordingly.I guess this was accordingly to him.

Ooh, copper bottom! I picked up a RX-V3000 with a missing footer. For less than the price of one replacement Yamaha footer, I picked up 4 metal footer-type replacement feet from China on eBay. Very happy with them. $8 I think?

I looked to see if I kept the 3 original feet I had, but looks like I tossed them, which is unlike me.

Sorry, I would have sent them your way if you wanted them.

Thankfully that's the only damage after seeing the pic of the box. I would've thought it would've been destroyed. Hopefully it still works as it should?
They are monsterous beasts I can attest. There's a beautiful silver one sitting at our flea market that I'm trying to justify bringing home:dunno:.

I will never understand how some people just don’t understand packing things properly that are fragile, but like was said above I guess to some people that is packing correctly. Glad that there wasn’t more damage done, that’s an excellent receiver and I’m sure you’ll get good use out of it .

Audiofreak71

Ooh, copper bottom! I picked up a RX-V3000 with a missing footer. For less than the price of one replacement Yamaha footer, I picked up 4 metal footer-type replacement feet from China on eBay. Very happy with them. $8 I think?

I looked to see if I kept the 3 original feet I had, but looks like I tossed them, which is unlike me.

Sorry, I would have sent them your way if you wanted them.
Thanks but i was able to use the original feet with some small washers.

That amp is super lucky to have made it at all in that box.

I'm at around a 50% damage rate with shipping on eBay especially with heavier items.
When I bought my B-2x and C-2x I drove a few hours to pick them up even though they had the original boxes.
I'm pretty much done with buying there after I received a smashed to crap M-2 a few months ago.

Last edited:
I'm at around a 50% damage rate with shipping on eBay especially with heavier items.
When I bought my B-2x and C-2x I drove a few hours to pisk them up even though they had the original boxes.
I'm pretty much done with buying there after I received a smashed to crap M-2 a few months ago.

I won't buy or sell anything on ebay unless it fits into a medium priority mail box. Anything fragile or larger I deal locally or closer than a 3 hour drive (6 hour round-trip).

I won't buy or sell anything on ebay unless it fits into a medium priority mail box. Anything fragile or larger I deal locally or closer than a 3 hour drive (6 hour round-trip).

That's honestly the smart way to go about it.
I've shipped half a dozen amps out this year and had not one problem but it seems for the average seller proper packing is too much work.

I will never understand how some people just don’t understand packing things properly that are fragile, but like was said above I guess to some people that is packing correctly. Glad that there wasn’t more damage done, that’s an excellent receiver and I’m sure you’ll get good use out of it .

Audiofreak71
I messaged this guy after I purchased and let him know that these are heavy,fragile items and would you please pack accordingly.By his time and feedback rating I thought he had some common sense.The person that packed (I use the term very loosely) this had no common sense.So I get a call from Fedex and I guess he trying to file a claim.I told them "Fedex should be commended on this one.This was purely an issue of extremely poor packing."
Thankfully that's the only damage after seeing the pic of the box. I would've thought it would've been destroyed. Hopefully it still works as it should?
They are monsterous beasts I can attest. There's a beautiful silver one sitting at our flea market that I'm trying to justify bringing home:dunno:.
I don't know what they want for that flea market example, but for around $200 I don't know of a better deal in audio.For a receiver that is.

That amp is super lucky to have made it at all in that box.

When I bought my B-2x and C-2x I drove a few hours to pick them up even though they had the original boxes.
Yeah, thats why I say this Yamaha was lucky.I've bought one or two heavy amps before and they made it ok.This has me questioning to ever do it again.

That reminds me of the first Sansui G9000 that I bought about 11 years ago. I contacted the ebay seller and asked him to package it well, which he assured me that he would.
After it arrived and I opened the box, I was appalled to see nothing but 3/8"-1/2" thick styrofoam around it and nothing else. By some incredible miracle, it survived the trip from back east virtually unscathed.

I don't know what they want for that flea market example, but for around $200 I don't know of a better deal in audio.For a receiver that is.
Hmmm; I'll have to check into it next week. Judging mainly by the size of it I was thinking they'd want a lot more for it so I didn't inquire. The flea market has been awash in vintage lately with a Bryston pre there last week along with an sx1250 and a Marantz 2270.

The only one I shipped, was a Pioneer SX-1050 at about 50 lbs. I had the UPS store manager pack it since they would insure it.
Well packed but single box. Looked like it was dropped on corner from about 6 feet up heavily damaging the unit.
I did get my money + from the manager, about 100 over the paid price and shipping. He was pissed that they dropped it.
Superdog, you were lucky!

I messaged this guy after I purchased and let him know that these are heavy,fragile items and would you please pack accordingly.By his time and feedback rating I thought he had some common sense.The person that packed (I use the term very loosely) this had no common sense.So I get a call from Fedex and I guess he trying to file a claim.I told them "Fedex should be commended on this one.This was purely an issue of extremely poor packing."

Yeah definitely poor packing thankfully this one had a fairly successful outcome . On a happy note I’m still very much using my RXZ-1 and it’s Just a workhorse of a receiver . Like we have discussed before these Uber receivers are tanks as proven by yours surviving a very shoddy packing job.

Audiofreak71

This is a 65 lb.Yamaha RXV1.It survived a cross country trip with FEDEX.It was packed in what I believe was a lightweight box that probably held toilet paper originally with a few sheets of newspaper thrown in for good measure.It suffered a couple of broken front feet and a bent speaker binding post.I was expecting a lot worse when I picked this of my front porch and feeling the shitty packing job.It was lucky.View attachment 1160481

That looks like the cheap packaging that Chewy ships our cat food in. But, I got a RX-V2095 in about as bad a box too. I bought it knowing it was dead, with the intent of fixing it. But with the crappy packing, the front face plate was crushed. No need to think about repairing it, at that point.

I found a RX-V3000 next, to replace the 2095. Great shape in the eBay pictures. But I almost had a heart attack, when I opened the box, and the receiver was wrapped in a thin yoga mat! Nothing else, no other packing, just a freaking yoga mat. Who thinks of this crap??? :rant:

That looks like the cheap packaging that Chewy ships our cat food in. But, I got a RX-V2095 in about as bad a box too. I bought it knowing it was dead, with the intent of fixing it. But with the crappy packing, the front face plate was crushed. No need to think about repairing it, at that point.

I found a RX-V3000 next, to replace the 2095. Great shape in the eBay pictures. But I almost had a heart attack, when I opened the box, and the receiver was wrapped in a thin yoga mat! Nothing else, no other packing, just a freaking yoga mat. Who thinks of this crap??? :rant:
People who obviously don’t care about these things unfortunately. Whatever it is they do care about mark my words they take good care of that .

Audiofreak71

Back
Top Bottom