Thorens owners group

I'm thinking of buying a TD 166 Mk1, has a Shure M97XE cart with very low hours on stylus. So how do you like yours?
I like mine very much. Much better made than turntables made nowadays, the turntable it replaced was an 800 dollar new table. Make sure you buy from a reputable person. The 166 was thorens entry level deck backin the day. But it is still a very well made deck.

Love it so far, really it was the Goldring cartridge and stylus that caught my eye as I have Goldring G900 IGC on an SME 3009 ii and love it, like simplicity of the table and it is a joy to listen too and very upgradable, was slow on the 45 but the seller also supplied a new belt and it cured the problem, he sold it to me because he was lazy and wanted a full automatic and replaced it with a beat up Technics. My good luck!
Thanks appreciate the info makes my decision easier.

I like mine very much. Much better made than turntables made nowadays, the turntable it replaced was an 800 dollar new table. Make sure you buy from a reputable person. The 166 was thorens entry level deck backin the day. But it is still a very well made deck.
Thanks for the info it is appreciated.

I had a 166 Mk II and used it happily with an Ortofon VMS20E cartridge for many years. I sold it to upgrade to a TD-125 table, and don't see a huge performance boost. IMHO, the 166 is a bargain. I don't think that it is worth replacing the arm the table comes with. It is a very fine performer. On the whole, a properly set up Thorens arm should meet almost anyone's needs when paired with the right cartridge.

I had a 166 Mk II and used it happily with an Ortofon VMS20E cartridge for many years. I sold it to upgrade to a TD-125 table, and don't see a huge performance boost. IMHO, the 166 is a bargain. I don't think that it is worth replacing the arm the table comes with. It is a very fine performer. On the whole, a properly set up Thorens arm should meet almost anyone's needs when paired with the right cartridge.
Thanks that is great info I'm going to pick up the 166 tomorrow.

Hi, Folks.

I just picked up a TD-125 MkII, "new" in the box, never installed to replace my modded 160. The nostalgic in me wants to keep it as is, tonearm and all, and find a great cart to go with it. Pairing it with a McIntosh MA6200 and AR3as, I play mostly 60s and 70s rock, 50s and 60s jazz, some classical.

Thoughts?

Hi, Folks.

I just picked up a TD-125 MkII, "new" in the box, never installed to replace my modded 160. The nostalgic in me wants to keep it as is, tonearm and all, and find a great cart to go with it. Pairing it with a McIntosh MA6200 and AR3as, I play mostly 60s and 70s rock, 50s and 60s jazz, some classical.

Thoughts?
I have the same table and similar tastes to yours in music. I think you'll be happy with it. I have run mine with a Shure V15 Type III and with an Ortofon VMS20E and liked both, although others consider them to have overly high compliance for the arm. Congratulations on your purchase!

Thought I would share this with the other Thorens lovers.

I picked up this deck in really rough shape with a scratched face plate and splitting plinth; but the motor and pulley were fine. Before I even started work on it, a work colleague of my wife's offered to buy it. Since I already own a TD160 I said sure. I kinda wish I hadn't...;)

I built a new plinth out of solid cherry, solid MDF base, had a custom cover made, stripped down face plate, repainted and applied custom decals. Also did all the mods as described on analogdept website (great resource!). Including new grounding, RCA terminals, chassis dampening and power switch/cable, etc etc. I was amazed at how good it sounds! I think I'm going to have to do the same to my TD160 now. I was sad to see this one depart.

Attachments

• 20180729_123812.jpg
    20180729_123812.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 20180729_123838.jpg
    20180729_123838.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 20180729_123858.jpg
    20180729_123858.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 78
Here my very modified TD150 that I call Thorelinn VS12.As it has
Thorens parts:
TD150 10mm Main Bearing
TD2001 Sub platter
TD150 Platter
Linn LP12 parts:
LP12 110V 24pole motor with 50Hz pulley
LP12 springs Bolts & rubber
LP12 cross brace
And all the 3rd party parts made:
Analogue Innovations Sole Sub-Chassis for TD150 the only one made.
Tek-Tonik Made custom top plate based the TD150 but with 2 motor mounts at 10:30 & 7:30 for Linn type motor made of 2mm stainless steel
Linn LP12 plinth Black Ash made woodooworks
Mose/Hercules Simplistic power supply
Tonearm is AudioQuest PT-7 mount on Acrylic board
The cartridge is Audio technica AT95 in a wood body with LP GEAR CF95SE Stylus that sounds very good for cartridge that cost me a little over $80.Is better with one of MC carts I have.
So was all the time and money worth it I'd say yes.The Thorelinn VS12 playback is as it should no noise good deep bass mids and highs very close to real I'm happy for now?IMG_2651a.jpg IMG_2640a.jpg IMG_2646a.jpg IMG_2639.JPG

I picked up this deck in really rough shape with a scratched face plate and splitting plinth; but the motor and pulley were fine. Before I even started work on it, a work colleague of my wife's offered to buy it. Since I already own a TD160 I said sure. I kinda wish I hadn't...;)

I built a new plinth out of solid cherry, solid MDF base, had a custom cover made, stripped down face plate, repainted and applied custom decals. Also did all the mods as described on analogdept website (great resource!). Including new grounding, RCA terminals, chassis dampening and power switch/cable, etc etc. I was amazed at how good it sounds! I think I'm going to have to do the same to my TD160 now. I was sad to see this one depart.
hows the footfall with that set up?

DSC_0985.JPG

I had my TD125 on a tall Salamander Rack and it would rock and roll every time some walked in the room or the dog scampered through. I bought some new lower selves from Audio Advisor and that has totally eliminated the footfall rocking in the room.

Hi, I just received my first Thorens TD 147 purchase with an ortofon om 20, it is clean and love how it looks the problem is that one channel has hum when playing. The seller says it plays nice so the problem probably was caused during transport. When I switch the rca connections the hum moves to the other channel. I know it is grounding issue, can someone lead me how to troubleshoot or share an illustrasion/picture on where should I start? I am planning to send this to my tech but would like to know if others encountered a similar issue with mine where only one channel is humming?

BTW this is one finicky table, can pick up transformer noise when placed on top of my receiver, do you guys put rf shieldings onthe bottom cover, will the rf shield it fix the problem of interference? Thanks in advance.

NlxnP0l.jpg

There’s my TD125. A few years ago I headed to a local audio shop to see about trading in some spare gear and saw this one on display like the Crown Jewels. Freshly restored and set up with a new dust cover, new armboard, new cart. Needless to say it came home with me.

Hi, I just received my first Thorens TD 147 purchase with an ortofon om 20, it is clean and love how it looks the problem is that one channel has hum when playing. The seller says it plays nice so the problem probably was caused during transport. When I switch the rca connections the hum moves to the other channel. I know it is grounding issue, can someone lead me how to troubleshoot or share an illustrasion/picture on where should I start? I am planning to send this to my tech but would like to know if others encountered a similar issue with mine where only one channel is humming?

BTW this is one finicky table, can pick up transformer noise when placed on top of my receiver, do you guys put rf shieldings onthe bottom cover, will the rf shield it fix the problem of interference? Thanks in advance.
jojo--

You need to make sure that the ground cable from the tonearm is securely connected to the ground on your preamp. If it is, then you can try flipping th AC plug around. Some carts have a ground strap between the cart body and one of the neutral legs on the cart itself. You can remove that. Personally, I would never set my table on another piece of gear.

can someone lead me how to troubleshoot or share an illustrasion/picture on where should I start?
Your tonearm connections to the external RCA cable and ground wire (no guaranty of the actual order of wiring) look like this:

d4H1i0E.jpg

Hold the RCA plugs in one hand and conduct a continuity test with a digital meter to the headshell leads. You should see the following:
  • Left channel RCA circumference (shield/return) beeps only with blue headshell lead (left ground)
  • Left channel RCA pin (center) beeps only with white headshell lead (left live)
  • Right channel RCA circumference (shield/return) beeps only with green headshell lead (right ground)
  • Right channel RCA pin (center) beeps only with red headshell lead (right live)
  • The main ground lug and ground connector should beep (two black wires from the tonearm) and each should beep with the tip of the external ground wire.
The external ground wire tip should beep with:
  • Any metallic part of the sub-chassis
  • Any metallic part of the main chassis
  • Any metallic part of the tonearm (test in the tonearm gimbals area and wand lock pin)
If you get a beep anywhere else than mentioned here - rework the connections like demonstrated in the image.
If you still get beeps where you shouldn't, the black ground wires coming out of the TA may had been breached and are in contact with one of the channels.

Thanks tnsilver, I've snipped the and saved the procedure above I am sure this will take care of the issue. I dropped the unit to my tech, he recommended to replace the phono cables too since the unit is almost 40yo.

By the way I forgot to mention when I hold that lifter in tonearm the hum/buzzing sound gets louder, will this manifestation hone in to one of the procedures below, could the tonearm ground is shorted with the left channel?

Your tonearm connections to the external RCA cable and ground wire (no guaranty of the actual order of wiring) look like this:
Hold the RCA plugs in one hand and conduct a continuity test with a digital meter to the headshell leads. You should see the following:
  • Left channel RCA circumference (shield/return) beeps only with blue headshell lead (left ground)
  • Left channel RCA pin (center) beeps only with white headshell lead (left live)
  • Right channel RCA circumference (shield/return) beeps only with green headshell lead (right ground)
  • Right channel RCA pin (center) beeps only with red headshell lead (right live)
  • The main ground lug and ground connector should beep (two black wires from the tonearm) and each should beep with the tip of the external ground wire.
The external ground wire tip should beep with:
  • Any metallic part of the sub-chassis
  • Any metallic part of the main chassis
  • Any metallic part of the tonearm (test in the tonearm gimbals area and wand lock pin)
If you get a beep anywhere else than mentioned here - rework the connections like demonstrated in the image.
If you still get beeps where you shouldn't, the black ground wires coming out of the TA may had been breached and are in contact with one of the channels.

Last edited:
Thanks Rob, no worries I used my SX1250 to temporarily test the turntable for space constraint in my listening room although I was also comparing it with my Technics table when I place it atop my receiver which on the other hand is very quite.

jojo--
You need to make sure that the ground cable from the tonearm is securely connected to the ground on your preamp. If it is, then you can try flipping th AC plug around. Some carts have a ground strap between the cart body and one of the neutral legs on the cart itself. You can remove that. Personally, I would never set my table on another piece of gear.

Back
Top Bottom