Thorens TD 124 II Project and Ortofon RS-309d

theoman

Confused Member
Subscriber
I picked up a base and tonearm the other day for my 124 and I dont know much about this tonearm but I've been wanting to go with a 12' tonearm. the tonearm seems well built like my SME.
Is there cartridges that I should avoid on this arm? anyone using one? now I'm on the hunt for the perfect cartridge for it.

IMG_9261.JPG IMG_9262.JPG IMG_9263.JPG IMG_9264.JPG IMG_9265.JPG IMG_9266.JPG

Last edited:
yup, the common saying goes it's a Jelco OME'd for Ortofon. No doubt it's Japanese, that's confirmed by O'fon. This is why I avoided it despite every google query leading back to it. If I was to shed the bucks, I'd want a Baerwald alignment compatible vintage vibe tonearm like the TA-210 or at least a real vintage tonearm made by the good old O'fon like the classic RMG-309 or RS-212 for SPU's or Denon DL-103 variants. I'd settle for an SME 3012 S1 or at least an early S2, which I ended up with for my Mk-I, or I'd just sell the SUV (if I didn't need it) and get a 12" EMT banana.

I can't complain the price of a fairly new tonearm and a nice base was 1200. so far i like it better than my old SME 3009.

It low output. Going into a HK TX2 SUT I bought from dfunghi and built by Redboy. That then goes to the phono in on a Citation I pre backed by the II amp. Output is pushed to some Bozak 302a’s. I also picked up some McMartin MT-4’s to try but I need a box built to support that since the windings are different than the XT-2’s.

Last edited:
What model SPU? I was offered a Ortofon SPU Royal GM MKII used at a good price. Dont know much about them. I prefer high to med output carts.
Hey there. You prefer med-high output, or med-high compliance carts? Have not heard a preference stated for output of carts before, other than the "MC better regardless of SUT needs" vs. "fewer connections are better, therefore HOMC or MM" debate.

A long arm like that, in the Jelco 750 mold, has a fairly high effective mass, and needs a low compliance cart. I had a Denon 103R on my Jelco 750-L, and tonally, it sounded superb. I just found that the stylus profile wasn't to my liking, and went with a Benz Glider. The high mass of the arm washed out the Benz, and now I have that Benz on an SME IV. Depending on your preferences, an SPU would probably do well, or the 103-R. A retipped 103-R with a line contact stylus might be the best of both worlds.

What is the effective mass of the arm? That's going to limit your cartridge choice, so I'd start there.

Hey there. You prefer med-high output, or med-high compliance carts? Have not heard a preference stated for output of carts before, other than the "MC better regardless of SUT needs" vs. "fewer connections are better, therefore HOMC or MM" debate.

A long arm like that, in the Jelco 750 mold, has a fairly high effective mass, and needs a low compliance cart. I had a Denon 103R on my Jelco 750-L, and tonally, it sounded superb. I just found that the stylus profile wasn't to my liking, and went with a Benz Glider. The high mass of the arm washed out the Benz, and now I have that Benz on an SME IV. Depending on your preferences, an SPU would probably do well, or the 103-R. A retipped 103-R with a line contact stylus might be the best of both worlds.

What is the effective mass of the arm? That's going to limit your cartridge choice, so I'd start there.

Effective mass (without headshell) - 4.0 g I may try a Denon first on it.

Effective mass (without headshell) - 4.0 g I may try a Denon first on it.
I'm certainly not an expert, but that sounds off. A Black Widow has an effective mass of 3 grams, so it sounds very light. My Jelco had an EM of 18 grams, and a Denon was well-suited to it. But at 4, it might overpower the arm.

I'm certainly not an expert, but that sounds off.
It does b/c it's O'fon weird way of specifying eff. mass w/o the HS. The black widow is real 3 grams eff. mass with the HS. I guess O'fon do that for long b/c of the traditional different SPU's weighing tens of grams. This one however, has an SH-4 headshell weighing at a total of 11.4 grams. It makes the whole TA something in the order of 15.5g eff. mass which is still too low for a DL-103.

It does b/c it's O'fon weird way of specifying eff. mass w/o the HS. The black widow is real 3 grams eff. mass with the HS. I guess O'fon do that for long b/c of the traditional different SPU's weighing tens of grams. This one however, has an SH-4 headshell weighing at a total of 11.4 grams. It makes the whole TA something in the order of 15.5g eff. mass which is still too low for a DL-103.

so, are you saying that I shouldn't go with a 103?

I have the II all apart not and its going together. does anyone know if the set screws and snap rings are metric or standard? I snapped a few set screws!IMG_9346.JPGIMG_9347.JPG

Back
Top Bottom