Thorens TD 125 Shipping damage

Bobsblkwax

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi Folks,

I just got a TD 125 Mk II from Ebay in nice shape, but the plastic strobe lens is cracked, and there is a mirror loose inside. I think the mirror goes in the window on the front, but I would appereciate any help as far as how to replace it the right way. The strobe does light up so that's good.

Thx,
Bob125 2.jpg 125 3.jpg

The mirror is glued to the inside of a 45° sloped metal mount under the front panel strobe window. You may be able to slip it in place with some contact cement on it's back and let it settle with an alligator clip for tightening.

If you can't nail it the short way, you're gonna have to follow this 3 part video (curtsy of our vinyl nirvana Dave):

Hi Folks,

I just got a TD 125 Mk II from Ebay in nice shape, but the plastic strobe lens is cracked, and there is a mirror loose inside. I think the mirror goes in the window on the front, but I would appereciate any help as far as how to replace it the right way. The strobe does light up so that's good.

Thx,
BobView attachment 1301168 View attachment 1301169
I put a new mirror in mine from above with no problem. Just be very careful what you bump into on the way in!

Oh, I meant slip the mirror in from the bottom of the turntable without the front panel disassembly. There's a very tight gap in there that I use to shove q-tips for cleaning the mirror. It may be possible to exploit for a mirror swap/refit.

Oh, I meant slip the mirror in from the bottom of the turntable without the front panel disassembly. There's a very tight gap in there that I use to shove q-tips for cleaning the mirror. It may be possible to exploit for a mirror swap/refit.
I removed the top plate, loosened the screw and moved the strobe assembly back. I put the glue on the plate the mirror attaches to, not on the mirror itself. It really was not difficult.

Thanks Guys!

So if that plastic lens cover is cracked, it's no big deal if the strobe light works?

Also, it was shipped with the inner platter off and the bearing exposed. I should probably change the oil then. The oil in there now looks dark. I was going to use 3 In One oil SAE 20 weight. Is that a good one to use?

Wipe that old oil out completely with a q-tip, first. Someone may chime in about the type of oil to use, but, as for myself, I use ordinary sewing machine oil in mine, and it works great. I change it every year or two. I've seen people say they fill the bearing halfway up. That's what I do, anyway. Then insert the shaft of the subplatter, and release it as soon as it engages ( I mean without pressing it down) letting it slowly reach its place by itself, which may take a few minutes (or hours, depending on the oil thickness). Nevermind an occasional spill. Just wipe it off, and enjoy the music!

Wipe that old oil out completely with a q-tip, first. Someone may chime in about the type of oil to use, but, as for myself, I use ordinary sewing machine oil in mine, and it works great. I change it every year or two. I've seen people say they fill the bearing halfway up. That's what I do, anyway. Then insert the shaft of the subplatter, and release it as soon as it engages ( I mean without pressing it down) letting it slowly reach its place by itself, which may take a few minutes (or hours, depending on the oil thickness). Nevermind an occasional spill. Just wipe it off, and enjoy the music!

Thanks for the advice. I was going to use sewing machine oil for the motor lubrication and the 20w 3 In One for the bearing since I assume it would be a bit thicker for a higher pressure application.

I also have some black Linn bearing oil as well.

Just wanted to give you all an update on the TD 125. I managed to get the mirror in from the bottom like Tom suggested, but it wasn't easy. It's a bit crooked. Then again, I don't stand as striaight up as I used to, so I'm OK with that. I'm not sure the glue will hold, since I couldn't clamp it. But it works!

I used 3 In One 20w oil in the bearing. Adjusted the suspension and got a pretty good bounce. Everything seems fine and it sounds great. A noticeable step up from my TD 160. Everything is bigger and more powerful sounding. Using a Shure V15 V right now. The stock TP 16 arm is just fine.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Thanks Guys!

So if that plastic lens cover is cracked, it's no big deal if the strobe light works?

Also, it was shipped with the inner platter off and the bearing exposed. I should probably change the oil then. The oil in there now looks dark. I was going to use 3 In One oil SAE 20 weight. Is that a good one to use?
Sewing machine oil is the best thing for turntables, I just oiled my Garrard 401 with it and its running in tip top shape.

Sewing machine oil is the best thing for turntables, I just oiled my Garrard 401 with it and its running in tip top shape.
Hot Damn I'm set. I picked up a gallon of sewing machine oil and a half quart of juki oil from CL a couple years ago. Guess I don't need to mess with that Joel oil available in the Thorens refresh kits available a few places.

Hot Damn I'm set. I picked up a gallon of sewing machine oil and a half quart of juki oil from CL a couple years ago. Guess I don't need to mess with that Joel oil available in the Thorens refresh kits available a few places.
Do you have a fine tip for all that sewing machine oil, I can imagine it would be a pain to get into the small holes on a turntable without it.

Do you have a fine tip for all that sewing machine oil, I can imagine it would be a pain to get into the small holes on a turntable without it.
I have a couple small plastic oilers that came loaded with oil that I refill. A pain and I need a few needle oilers for this and other chemicals but I'm making due now. Takes a couple minutes to fill these old units but they last a while once filled. Heck what else is there to do while watching the game? There are times when dumb tasks are a welcome diversion. Especially since my team is still playing.

I have a couple small plastic oilers that came loaded with oil that I refill. A pain and I need a few needle oilers for this and other chemicals but I'm making due now. Takes a couple minutes to fill these old units but they last a while once filled. Heck what else is there to do while watching the game? There are times when dumb tasks are a welcome diversion. Especially since my team is still playing.
That's a good solution to how to dispense the oil in small amounts into the small parts of a turntable, and a good time to refill the bottles when the need arises.

Back
Top Bottom