Thorens TD-134

Montycat

Staff member
Subscriber
Ok it's not a 124 so I can't get too excited but it was free!

I was trying to find a belt for a cassette deck today and tried a couple of local shops. The first had nothing and at the second the guy said "I can't help you. The guy who knows where they are isn't here"

I was kind of perturbed but as I turned to leave I saw this thing on top of a pile of other stuff. They had some recycling bins out front and were moving stuff out to them. I said "How much for that?" He said "You can have it."

I plugged it in and the motor doesn't run. Looks like I have a project.

20171121_120056.jpg 20171121_120110.jpg

Last edited:
Wonderful score!

The motor probably just needs disassembling, cleaning and re-oiling. Not a hard job.

Definitely plan on building a new plinth too!

Wow what a score! I had one minus the tonearm. The build quality is the same as the 124, though there is a smaller bearing, and it has a smaller platter, but the idler/belt drive mechanism and motor are the same. The one I got had no oil left in the bearing well but it spun so smoothly even without oil due to the tight swiss tolerances. I never got to fix mine up and just sold it cheap but it's definitely a cool table and should sound very nice.

Good luck in the restoration. Probably needs new motor mounts, as those often dry rot.

Thanks guys. It's cosmetically in very good condition which is a good start.

Can anyone tell me the right position for the motor commutator screw? There are 3 positions and I think it is supposed to go in the front right, closest to the headshell, but it's not marked. With luck it is something dead easy like that.

I think the 100 - 120V position is actually bottom left, closest to the speed control knob. The closest to the HS is 200 - 240V. VE got a manual, there's a pic and you might figure the marking out.

That's a real score. I got a 135 in perfect condition after I overhauled it. Gimme a holler if you need help with anything. I got a trick up my sleeve for making that bearing spin the platter for ever.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. It's cosmetically in very good condition which is a good start.

Can anyone tell me the right position for the motor commutator screw? There are 3 positions and I think it is supposed to go in the front right, closest to the headshell, but it's not marked. With luck it is something dead easy like that.

Here is the chassis of my TD-124. Rear left position:

$(KGrHqMOKpIFIjhQqCdiBSKTfETZkQ~~60_57.JPG

Attachments

• $(KGrHqF,!rkFIQ),MEi6BSKTe+upp!~~60_57.JPG
    $(KGrHqF,!rkFIQ),MEi6BSKTe+upp!~~60_57.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 21
It's the voltage adjustment jumper. Can't see it from bellow. It's under the masonite plate where the motor windings go.

Can you take some shots of the bearing well, idler mechanism, and motor? Curious to see about overlap with the 124.

Got it.

The marks are there but just hard to see; it is front left. I also got the motor to turn under it's own power. The power cord was a bit funky so I changed it right away, and pulled the belt off and ta-da! It spins. I also worked the end of record shut off switch too as that might have been a factor.

It's cleaning up very nicely too. Mostly it was just grime but I had to take some IPA to the top where there was masking tape residue. Now I have to get it out of the kitchen before "she who must not be gotten in the way of" returns.

Yes, the motor could use an overhaul and bushings but at least it works. A new belt will be in order too!

Thorens TD-135 by Buhduh, on Flickr

A great grab, especially as it was on its way to the recycler's crusher. Should be a fine player. It will be interesting to hear how you find the tonearm. I restored a basket case TD135 and it worked fine.

Man, what a great find ! I have often thought that my 124 needs a partner across the room... so when I play Kaw Liga , I can imagine that the song is about the 124 and the 134 :p

wow what shop was throwing that out?

Japan Electronics. I almost never go there but know they sometimes repair tape decks and thought they might have the part I needed.

I was several blocks from my car and had to walk back with the table, but almost should have gone back to see what else was going in the bins. At a glance it was all BPC and old TVs monitors and stuff but there might have been other gems.

Got it.

The marks are there but just hard to see; it is front left. I also got the motor to turn under it's own power. The power cord was a bit funky so I changed it right away, and pulled the belt off and ta-da! It spins. I also worked the end of record shut off switch too as that might have been a factor.

It's cleaning up very nicely too. Mostly it was just grime but I had to take some IPA to the top where there was masking tape residue. Now I have to get it out of the kitchen before "she who must not be gotten in the way of" returns.

Yes, the motor could use an overhaul and bushings but at least it works. A new belt will be in order too!

Thorens TD-135 by Buhduh, on Flickr

Man, you sure got that spiffed up nice!

Two questions:
  • What did you use to clean up the platter mat?
  • What cartridge is on there?

Back
Top Bottom