Thorens TD-134

Your on a role I take it your familiar with the 3MD?

Somewhat. I had one for a while but this table is "made for it" more than anything else I have.

The needle is AWOL though so I will have to order something.

Last edited:
I had some things to get at VOM so added a 12.5" belt, some motor mounts ($1 each!) and a generic N21D stylus. I'll get a real Thorens belt too and might splurge the whole $22 on a Jico stylus another day. :)

I use Aerospace 303. Way less greasy than ArmorAll. Meguiars ultimate interior protectant and the cream version of ultimate black work great too.

But hey. I'm a detailing products snob.

I checked the mat this morning, and it's fully dried (NOT greasy) and the sheen and depth is gorgeous. I used the liquid in the spray pump.

original_protectant_4-oz_0.png

Ou1nURh.jpg

B467BwU.jpg

It looks great!

I've just been conditioned to knee jerk protest the use of armor all products. Back in the day at least they contained chemicals that would eventually damage the plastics in your car interior.

It's working now with some stripping down of pulley and idler shafts, cleaning and lubing. The new belt and 757-D7C stylus are from VOM. I have it tracking at about 5 grams, but it has a crazy stylus rake angle. I still have to figure out why the auto shut-off lever doesn't reset and I definitely need to replace the cables but it is coming along.

Thorens TD-134 by Buhduh, on Flickr

Thorens with Shure M3D by Buhduh, on Flickr

Not easy. It has a molded plinth and it would take some serious frankentonearming.

I guess you could setup a second arm on it mounted to a separate armboard, given that you had an arm long enough to mount outside of the plinth dimensions.

Ok it's not a 124 so I can't get too excited but it was free!
The 134 and 135 are wonderful tables and, in my very humble opinion, in many ways are sonic and functional equals to the 124. Now I'm aware that the 135 sold for x amount and the 124 sold for x, and the former is the "poor man's" version of the latter, but in my experience the 135 and its little sister the 134 are different, not inferior. They have virtually the same mechanism without many of the potential pitfalls of the 124. The lack of flimsy aluminum upper platter and finicky clutch mechanism makes the 135 better in this regard. I'd gladly sacrifice the 3mm's of spindle and the strobe for the simplicity of the 135 and the $1000+ price difference on the vintage market. (For thise who value platter run down times ive gotten well over two minutes with a TD135). Strobe discs can be bought or printed off and reliable levels can be had fron the hardware store for less than $5.

Keep in mind you can still find a td135 in immaculate condition with original plinth for ~$500. Try finding that kind of deal for a 124! If you can deal with the lack of versatility inherent in having an affixed tonearm (the btd12s and tp14 are excellent in their own right though I have no experience with the BL104) you'll be totally content.

I've owned both mk1 and mk2 tables of each model and have nursed a few back to health for friends so I do have experience to base my opinion on. 124's are WONDERFUL tables, don't get me wrong, I love them and am listening to one right now but the 134/135 are great in their own right.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom