Thorens TD 165

Timothy,
thanks again for the post. I just contacted Nick. I know you have your own recipe for a cleaning solution (and that this dead horse has been severely beaten here - Record cleaning- you're doing it wrong! | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums - , but just curious if you (or anyone else reading) as tried this. I haven't seen much of it here on AK:
Clean Vintage Vinyl Records Like A Professional Archivist With TergiKleen™ Tergitol-based Fluid Concentrate
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019YI38Z...=UTF8&colid=Z1XD22CSOKPR&coliid=IO619DGFMD320

They don't list the ingredients, so I was curious if there's an anti-static component to it too.
I actually have seen it online but dismissed it since it is another magic cocktail that does not include a list of ingredients as you say. My big thing is wanting to know what the mix contains and what chemicals are going on my Vinyl not that I am really that fanatical about my records. Adding the antistatic shouldn't be all that hard though....

i have a chance to buy a THORENS TD165 TURNTABLE. TABLE IN GOOD CONDITION and it INCLUDES AN EMPIRE 66 QE/X CARTRIDGE for $275 is that to much?

i have a chance to buy a THORENS TD165 TURNTABLE. TABLE IN GOOD CONDITION and it INCLUDES AN EMPIRE 66 QE/X CARTRIDGE for $275 is that to much?

That's a good price providing it's in good working and cosmetic condition. If it has scratches on the plinth or top plate - or the dust cover has problems, then I would pass.

You may need a new belt, so figure $30 for a genuine Thorens.

Mist importantly make sure the motor is silent and noise free. If you have a bad motor you will have a brick on your hands. They are obscenely expensive to replace...

Maybe wrong link? I wanted to know what hydro-dipping was so i clicked on the link and got a pair of Pioneer HPMs.

Dang! That's how I got married. I went hydro-dipping in a lake with a bunch of pals and girls, next thing you know - I say "I do". Most expensive dipping I ever had and she won't ever let me do it again!

Why are people dredging up old threads!!?? ;) 14 years ago! Correcting myself...the 165 does NOT have a smaller platter bearing shaft...it has a plastic composite inner platter...but the bearing shaft is still 10MM.

7 or 10mm weren't they?

See: https://www.theanalogdept.com/td_platter_bearings.htm where it states: TD165: commonly a resin sub-platter with 7mm spindle shaft, solid spherical tip but some have been found with zinc/10mm and some with zinc / 7mm and for variation: resin/10mm.

also: The TD166 most commonly, as with TD165, was equipped with a resin sub-platter, 7mm spindle shaft with solid spherical tip. But as seen below, there were variations.

Thought to be a cost shaving measure during the production run...

That said all three of mine are 10mm and I have yet to see a 7mm in person (even from when I lived in Lahr/Seelbach Germany where they were made back in the day) so could be a propogated myth for all I know - but then again you of all people for here in North America certainly should know;) Maybe a European thing on 50 Hz variants?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom