Those lacking avatars, please read.

Your avatar says who you are, in my belief. I have kept my avatar since my early days here on AK; I am happy with it and I see no need to change. The character in my avatar is from SpongeBob Squarepants Cartoon. The character is SpongeBob's pet. His name is Gary; so is mine.

That is my story and I am sticking with it. As for Avionic, I have always liked your avatars, especially the ones with the F-15 action shots.

It's a good thing rent for this avatar is only once a year, and it has a cool red banner tossed in for free. Can't beat that.

Unless you pay the $575 for the Lifetime Premium Subscriber membership in which case your avatar gets transformed:

index.php

Whoa! Double Fantasy! Venus and Mars!!

I love that area so much. I met a girl who lived in Salerno and whose father was a judge and grandfather had been mayor. It was fun touring the town with her in the evenings. Her family was gracious and accommodating, hospitable in that way Italians usually are. Their house had a terrace overlooking the city and the sea where we enjoyed food & drink.

Everyone did the passeggiata back then--meet and greet after working hours. So many shops were still open in the evenings, with people in them. I asked her--how late do they work?! "They're not working!" she replied. Ah, Italia.

Paestum was one of the transcendent experiences of my life. At my visit the weather was perfect and the only other people there were a couple students silently sketching the temples. And what stunning, monumental edifices they are--standing tall and broad in the blinding southern sun, almost larger than life, in sharp relief against the deep blue sky--they will absolutely overpower you. They've been there for 2500 years and I do believe they'll be there for another 2500 years too.

About Akragas, one observer said of the Greeks and their love of partying--and monuments: "The Greeks dine as though they'll die tomorrow and build as though they'll live forever." At Paestum, you will connect with the Eternal. I will never forget my visit there, it's seared into my memory as if by the blinding sun itself.

paestum_temple_hera_6997.jpg
I'm glad you enjoyed pleasant moments in my land. :)

Avatar is actually me (I like the grey highlights of age), and the username is one of two I use around the net. Torontoblue is because I used to live in Toronto and I'm an Everton fan (hence the blue).

Mine is the exact model Motorola that I grew up with as a kid. My wonderment with all things music and electronics came from sneaking peeks into the rear vent holes, seeing the wires and tubes glow and those oh so wonderful Golden Voice speakers.

In the early 70's when we needed more room and shortly before dad passed away he helped me make a smaller wood case for the preamp and power amp, essentially becoming my first "integrated" amplifier.

I rescued the one in the picture and it's used nearly daily for over 10 years now.

Last edited:
Have heard of this PC thingy called "Second World" and at times I feel that AK's usage of these images is kinda of a blend of the movie "Avatar" and the aforementioned PC site that I've read about. There often IS a definite, distinct connection between the visual selection and AK members...sometimes overt, sometimes covert. A theory at this point.:idea:

Have heard of this PC thingy called "Second World" and at times I feel that AK's usage of these images is kinda of a blend of the movie "Avatar" and the aforementioned PC site that I've read about.
What's a "PC site"?

Do you mean "Second Life"?

It's a multiplayer videogame without rules, or much of a point, but some folks really like it because it doesn't have rules or a point.

What's a "PC site"?

Do you mean "Second Life"?

It's a multiplayer videogame without rules, or much of a point, but some folks really like it because it doesn't have rules or a point.

No, no, no! PC= "Personal Computer".

From what I've read about "2nd Life"...it's ain't for me. Got enough trouble dealing with the First Life, eh? :)

Q

From Wikipedia:

Milk production at a dairy farm was low, so the farmer wrote to the local university, asking for help from academia. A multidisciplinary team of professors was assembled, headed by a theoretical physicist, and two weeks of intensive on-site investigation took place. The scholars then returned to the university, notebooks crammed with data, where the task of writing the report was left to the team leader. Shortly thereafter the physicist returned to the farm, saying to the farmer, "I have the solution, but it works only in the case of spherical cows in a vacuum".

I love physics jokes!

Neutrino
Knock knock

The bartender says "we don't serve faster than light particles here."
A neutrino walks into a bar

I changed mine to this guy as the pic makes me laugh every time I see it on my login screen on the bench PC. Found it when looking for an 'electric shock' pic for a thread reply a while back.

I was convinced it was one of our Aussie actors (Shane Jacobsen), and I emailed his agent who told me it was hilarious and totally looked like Shane, but he said it wasn't him.

Back
Top Bottom