Thought I would Share Here. GE Console RC-1350

Hitachiht550

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
15100174263551921063986.jpg As stated in the TT forum
So I picked this up for a Christmas present for a friend that expressed interest in a working small console unit.
Am I correct in thinking that the TT is a VoM? It has a vacuum built into the tonearm....Genius! Also has a dust-off slot to slide records in. I know that this thing will only see cheap records and some 78s but I find this thing fascinating.

Left channel is weak and turntable needs some work and adjustment. Also needs some Deoxit. Anyone have any advice on this thing?

Thanks

Jason

Last edited:
ah, the GE Megamaid console. Dustamatic? I think they called it.

Looks like a VM. GE did actually make their own changers at one point but this doesn't have the look.

Reviving this to see if anyone has had any problems with output transformers going bad. So the left channel is totally out. I have switched all the left and right tubes on this to make sure it is not a bad tube. I also switched the outputs to the speakers and the speakers work. Seems the more I narrow things down I could have a bad output transformer. Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks

In your first post you said the left channel was weak, not dead. If it's now dead I would suspect that the output transformer is OK and that some other parts are the issue. As a first step, use the resistance chart found in the Sams to see if any are out of spec.

Thanks. I will check it out. Think I will start ording the caps to begin working my way through it.

So does anyone have a good tubing replacement? The original seems to have stiffened up and wants to pull the tone arm away from the spindle.

Have a pic of the one in the Cleaver's house?

That console have a reverb in it? Like to see some more pictures of the insides. Interesting console. GE made some real quality stuff that's not too well known.

ah, the GE Megamaid console. Dustamatic? I think they called it.

Looks like a VM. GE did actually make their own changers at one point but this doesn't have the look.

General Electric Company bought Glaser-Steers and began using a simplified version of this mechanism, with fewer features, beginning in 1965, to the sell off of their consumer phono lines around 1975 to Interstate Industries, who continued selling some of the line under the Concert Hall brand using BSR record changers.

So is this one a GE changer? Kinda looks like something based on the VM 1200 series. The GE changers from the mid 60s I'm used to are the ones in the Wildcat with that square-ended overarm.

Hello all, I had this console, so I may be able to answer some questions--thanks to Charlie's help I finally know the part number.

Unfortunately, when I discovered my console, it had already become a mouse motel, so I had to scrap the furniture for olfactory-related issues. (I ended up rebuilding the tuner and reverb tank into standalone units that sounded pretty good!)

But yes, Gadget, to answer your question it was a VM 1200 series--complete with the "Vac-U-Magic" tonearm. I was able to get the whole system to work, but it was cumbersome and barely effective, so I parted it out. It was weird because it stored the vacuumed-up dust in a non-serviceable paper mache bin.

And Yes, it's 7355 PP amp--though I'm thinking of converting (eventually) to 6L6 tubes.

Outside of the fact that it's on a PCB, the Amp is sounded nice. (Note, I'm currently dealing with some motor-boating issues...but when it was good, it was good.). The power xfmr generated a bit of EMF noise, so I relocated it to the other side of the chassis.

Back
Top Bottom