Thoughts on packing in styrofoam.

Dirk Willims

about a month ago I sent my David Berning gear back to David for work needing done. I'd never spoken with David, and was very impressed. And. I learned something regarding shipping.

David asked that I not ship my amp and my pre amp in styrofoam. I was confused, until David explained that Styrofoam tended to retain static electricity!. That static could possibly damage the gear I'd sent.

That's it, was that simple, no long speech, or lengthy explanation. I just know that if David Berning suggested that I not pack my stereo gear in styrofoam, I'm not going to pack my gear in styrofoam. I do recall seeing static discharges from time to time, when unpacking stuff surrounded with styrofoam peanuts.

Just thought I'd share what I'd learned from David.

Dirk Williams

Yes, and esp if wrapped in non-static plastic bags!
And also does not absorb shock at all.
I worked at a place that hired a consultant to advise on packaging, and ended up using simple 'frames' of that softer squidgy foam, like what the 'wiggler worm' pool toy tubes are made of.
Pretty much eliminated shipping damage.
That and double boxing to reduce penetration injuries.
There are other threads on AK that discuss it in more depth.

I never ship in peanuts. Besides the static issues, they tend to get smashed into every little opening. I had someone ship a broadcast-quality VHS deck to me in peanuts. It took me 45min to clean them from exterior heat sinks and BNC connectors. I do use sheet styrofoam for additional protection between my double boxes.

Back
Top Bottom