Thoughts on Sansui AU 7700

rasenthiran

Hi Guys,

Anyone has both AU 7900 and AU 7700 Amplifier ?? There is one for sale but when i did a comparision on the spec n features it look like most of the data are same. Only the power rating of the AU 7700 is less 58 w * 8 ohm while the AU 7900 is 70 w * 8 ohm. Does both have the same sound signature or it is totally different beast. The looks of both amplifier is very samiliar too.

Last edited:
I don't have both, but have heard both.
I think if you did a double blind test, with both in the same condition, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Hi Raj - a quick look at the schematics and they look very identical from pre-amp to power amp, both full complementary and direct coupled. As often, condition will probably have far more say.

Thanks Tom,I am going to do audition this weekend to compare both and will keep the best one. :) Based on this amplifier was sold similiar in price range but not sure which one has the biggest advantage in sound quality and why Sansui has developed similiar kind of this models.

Last edited:
Hi Weber,

Both of this amplifier has different sound signature. I find Sansui AU 719 very usefull with fast sound tracks and produce plenty of power. Personally i find it more neutral and very much same as middle class high end modern amplifier. The Sansui AU 7900 sound much alike the Sansui AU 777 i have earlier and for me it sound more warm.The clarity and warmness is there and it also can drive plenty of power hungry speakers.I find the bass is a bit less compare to the AU 719.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I have purchase the Sansui AU 7700 amplifier after serious consideration. I tested the amplifier and compare it with my recently recapped sansui AU 7900 and found out i am leaning towards the AU 7700. May be the recapped sansui au 7900 needs more time to run in. Based on the sound signature, i find both has likely to have same sound signature but the sansui au 7700 has more advantage on high part but less power. The AU 7700 is still original and not recapped. Happy to have another sansui amplifier in my collection.

Enjoy that new amplifier Raj, I also own the original condition AU-7700 driving a pair of Klipsch Chorus. Have been running this rig for two years in my main system and haven't had any inkling to upgrade. Incredibly satisfying combination, listening never fails to put a smile on my face.

How big of a difference is the sound of the 7700 and the 7900? I heard they are unnoticeable. That they are practically the same but with the 7900 with higher WPC?

Hi,

I do think they sound the same but i feel the recapped AU 7900 need time to run in. The orginal AU 7700 sound much more better n it has plenty of power and can easily drive TDL near field monitors bookshelf which is 87DB sensitivity.How does your yamaha A-S500 sound compare to the AU 7700 you have? Thanks

I have both. Both have been restored. I A-B'd them and had a hard time discerning any difference. The 7700 was very sweet and since I got it so cheap I have kept it for my test bench amp primarily due to its versatility.

I a-b'd the 7900 with my AU-D11ii and I choose to use the 7900 for critical listening.

I recently acquired and restored a Pioneer SA-9500 and I like the sound of this guy too! I will be A-B-ing this this weekend with other amps at a geek-audio party my friend is hosting.

The build construction of the SA-9500 is not to be believed. The only thing I dont like about it is the wire-wrap inter-board wiring. They spent so much on constructing the rest of the amp (a SOLID aluminum volume knob) and then they connect the wires with that bullshit sire wrap method?

Hi Zekeman,

Yess I do agree the sound character is very much the same but I can clearly say that the AU 7900 wins the AU 7700 only with less margin, may be the power part. Other then both are very much the same n I have no heart to let go it to someone else cos the faceplate and exterior/interior condition of the Sansui AU 7700 very much better then my Sansui AU 7900. The same guy who sold me the AU 7700 also offered a AU 9900A with for extra top up cash but the condition was not very good..,the black paint on the knobs missing and when I did a test between these 3 amplifier I found out the AU 9900A wins in power/bass and better soundstage but the sound looks very much similar with plenty of power( also the bass is quite high for my listening and the clarity part of the AU 7900/7700 is much more less ). This may be the result the amplifier is not yet recapped.

I also notice someone has modified a fan below the AU 9900A platform, worried that it can also cause issue in future and may be the amplifier has been disturbed/modified before.

Last edited:
Also I do agree Pioneer produce great amplifier. I have used Pioneer SX 1280 before and it sound very similar to my Sansui AU 719 with plenty of power. Had to sell it due to other upgrade. One problem with this unit is its hard to find the FM chip n also the left/right power ic if it got spoiled.

Enjoy your Sansui gear !

I forgot to mention that I use the Pre from the 7900 to feed the low level signal into a modified 1000A tube receiver which is used as a power amp. A convoluted but sweet setup!

I have 3 AU-7900's but I have always preferred the more squared looks of the 7700. I am going to have to get my 7900's repaired. One is dead, the two others the preamp doesn't work but the amp works fine. One of these that I have had since 1976 the volume knob just goes round and round. I have been using them both with one preamp in one of my systems.

Wow 3 AU 7900,this amplifier is worth to be restored. Its very hard to find in my country and the the AU 7700 is very rare. This was a find after last know for sale 4 years ago.Great to know there is great number of owners of AU 7900 is in AK.

Last edited:
Guys iv found a 7700.....
I was wondering too if it would be a good addition or a poor one , considering the previously owned 9500 and aud707x which i highly regard.

AU 7700 is a fantastic sounding amp

in fact, after reading the Sansui product information blurb, I believe it was the development platform for the products that followed: 7900, 6600, 9900, 11000 etc

"Sansui's prototype of the AU-7700 created a lot of excitement in our audio engineering division.
Here was an integrated amplifier of moderately large power output, very low distortion, sophisticated tone controls and source handling capabilities and much more."

those other models all followed after the 7700, with similar cosmetics and probably (as stereofun mentioned with 7900 vs 7700 ) circuits

Back
Top Bottom